Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon Belmont sprite from scratch  (Read 10630 times)

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Simon Belmont sprite from scratch
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:19:44 PM »
I'm not very used to spriting so I could use some critique. This is my own "version" of Simon Belmont, being a lot inspired by the artwork from Castlevania Chronicles. I changed his outfit into a black, sleeveless coat, but he's still got the furry stuff around his neck and the red hair.

I'd love to try and animate it, but am I going about this the right way? Or is there anything that I should change before I get started on a possible animation of it?

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »
reduce those colors a bit. i mean, over 200 colors for just simon?

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »
that looks rather awesome, but I was hoping a higher resolution sprite.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »
In Reply To #1

I like the attitude your sprite has.  It actually looks a bit short, which is cool if you were gonna use it for, say, a Cellphone game.  It already looks better than Desmond (see Serio's sig, far right)...

However, it's using a multitude of extra colors that it does not need.  With most 2D game sprites, you want to limit the sprite color palette to 15 colors or less, and one transparency color (a 'mask' color, if you will).

You have far more than that for a short sprite.  You might want to with with less colors, or flatten the color depth of your image so that similar colors become one color.

I like the pose it has, but there are not many CV games that use short hills like the one your Simon is stepping on.  In fact, the only one I know is Super CV IV.

I took the liberty of reworking your sprite a little to show you what I mean.  I used 15 colors but kept your basic look.  I also made it so that it's stepping on a step instead of on a short hill.

Most Castlevania sprites are 24 to 32 pixels wide (if they're in the middle of a sprint run they can get that wide... and that's characters that don't have Capes or Coat-Tails, those usually increase the sprite width by quite a bit) and are 44 to 48 pixels tall.

Just a little bit of info in case you're confused about heights and whatnot.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »
I like that sprite I made it moar better tho =D

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 01:38:57 PM »
In Reply To #5

Nice color change.  I do like Brown/Blonde Simon waaaay more than FireRedhead Simon.

Good choice of colorz, thar.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Simon Belmont sprite from scratch
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »
In Reply To #4

I have a lot to learn about spriting xD I appreciate all the information you're providing me with. I had pretty much no idea about all the things you brough up. If I find the spare time to do it, I'll keep training to make better sprites and I'll keep in mind what you've told me.

Your remake of my sprite is far better than mine xD and I'm very impressed! I'd love to see this sprite animated. Feel free to play around with it more, if you like~

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 07:44:10 PM »
In Reply To #7

But you made the sprite pretty well. I do like the brown hair more than the red, mainly because the red always seems too red.

Anyway, it could be a palette swap, those are always nice to have around. Like extra costumes.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 05:33:19 AM »
In Reply To #8

That rework is badass Jorge.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
Got a little Captain in you?

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 09:02:51 AM »
In Reply To #10

hes gettin rdy for the ultimate pose off he wants to go to the playboy mansion for halloween (so do I =()

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:25:34 AM »
Got a little Captain in you?

Wow, I did not at all think about that, but YES HE DOES!
You know Simon has got a little Captain in him, that's why he's badass even in Chronicles' getup.  XD
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Simon Belmont sprite from scratch
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »
Captain Simon xD He's sailing his ship and when it's going too slow he whips his slaves to speed them up a little, but he accidently kills them. AND HE SHOULD HAVE A LITTLE FLEAMAN AS A PET!

Tags:

anything