Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: OFE timeline?  (Read 3930 times)

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
OFE timeline?
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
Was it ever official stated where the game timeline is?  I know from the stuff mention in the story that it is after the Belmonts went missin and from the game dialogue it is durin an era where pictures were just invented and shootin weapons that are smaller than a rifle are bein used

If we were to guess, it is obvious it is sometime after SOTN, but is it possible it is between Rondo and SOTN?  Richter disappeared for for some time I think (SOTN seems a bit hazy to me therefore I am not sure if he was not around for a coupleof years or right after the castle emerged for the second time)

It would be interestin if they put it between the two title though l have my doubts.  I think the timeline might not have been announced so iga can modify it whenever another game is made and is close to that era

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:26:17 PM »
In Reply To #1
OFE?  lol
Let me know if you want me to edit that title there for ya.

It's after SotN but before Bloodlines.  Since there's no "official" game in between those titles, and the Belmonts went missing after Richter's sillyness with Shaft and stuff...
...I'd say it's the mid-1800's.

Even in Rondo they had the Skeleton Rifleman guy (not that the anachronistic enemies of Castlevania have ever had any need to stay within the constructs of human history), so this is when flintlocks and stuff was being used (What Albus looks to be using).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline paletteswapmonster

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
Re: OFE timeline?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
It's after SotN. The game takes place in the 1800s, but it hasn't been said exactly where in the 1800s. I'm assuming the late 1800s(which would probably mean that Dracula was at full power and that Shanoa was the only non-Belmont to beat him at full power).

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:00:48 PM »
Dracula's at full power in 1897, but this game takes place before then, since it seems that the Morris' aren't even around yet.

Offline paletteswapmonster

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:06:25 PM »
Dracula's at full power in 1897
1892, actually. Dracula was alive in SotN for a short enough time not to screw up the cycle. Same goes for every other game in which he has been revived outside the cycle.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »
In Reply To #3

the in game dialogue hinted very strongly that it was a premature resurrection.

spoiler i guess, highlight to see:
what with barlowe sacrificing himself to free drac from some sort of seal and for his body to become a vessel like isaac, only to have him defeated not long after his revival.

note, the monster book describes barlow as the vessel to drac.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 01:51:06 AM »
In Reply To #5

It depends, really. I always had a hunch that IGA choosing SotN being set in 1897 was to alude to the actual game being released in 1997. Square did a similar thing with Final Fantasy VII(which was also released in 1997), which in most of the Ultimania guides give nods to a "lucky seven" formula(7th Heaven Bar, FFVII's events taking place in the year 0007).

I do think 1892 is a more fitting date for Dracula's resurrection, especially if they plan on going with Stoker's story to somewhat of an extent, which Dracula was already up and about for sometime BEFORE 1897. Though, it depends.

OoE's strange in the fact that they never announced an actual date, but only said it was around mid-1800s. Usually IGA's a bit more precise than that.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:47:13 AM »
He may be going for more ambiguous dates to dodge retcons and running out of room in the timeline.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 08:09:19 AM »

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:13:11 AM »
In Reply To #8

Most likely. Iga stated in past interviews that he regretted putting actual dates in the time line.

Offline CapComMDb

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »
Yeah, OoE isn't on the official timeline yet:

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/dracula/product/data.html

However, I say it's after photography became portable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_camera

She's probably using Dry Plates, which would realistically put the game as early as the late 1870s. Anyway, dry plate cameras were small, portable, and had quick exposure times, which would make Shanoa's camera historically accurate.

Also, there's the record player and the records you buy in the store:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph#History

Remember too that epistolary phonograph recordings were important to the Dracula novel. In addition, actual disc records rather than cylinders weren't available until the 1890s, and disc records are what they sell in the stores (but he could clearly have made cylinders if he wanted, it's just most players wouldn't have had a clue what those were).

So realistically based on the technology, this is probably either immediately before or sometime AFTER Brahm Stoker's Dracula (1892). But it's clearly before Bloodlines as there's no WWI yet. I haven't beaten OoE yet, but it might include more ties with Brahm Stoker's Dracula.

But you know what, it's a game, and it's not like they had chainsaws in the 19th Century either :P But if Iga wants accuracy, it wouldn't make sense to put the game earlier than about 1877...

Anyway, interesting topic :)
"The sleep of Reason produces monsters."

Tags:

anything