Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Final Fantasy XIV gets trashed  (Read 15210 times)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »
You know, thinking on their names... I can't help but think they... or atleat their names might be based on The Storm Riders characters. Wind and Cloud.

and uh... did you mean VIII or XIII?

Offline OmegaDL50

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Final Fantasy XIV gets trashed
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 12:15:16 AM »
Every main Tetsuya Nomura designed character in the FF series or whatnot has always been named after weather patterns or things related to nature.

Cloud, Squall, Snow, Lightning.

Even Sora from Kingdom Hearts is also a victim of this naming scheme (Sora means Sky in Japanese)

This trend continues for FF Vs. XIII as well. The main characters Noctis and Stella and their full names basically mean Light and Darkness.

I suppose it's more interesting then naming the hero, Joe or Bob...or something common like that.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 06:19:45 AM »
Huh... I just looked it up and it seems you're right.

Only one I liked was Squall though. Cloud was a pansy in disguise. Snow was an idiot, and Lightning was a wannabe badass (as far as I can tell, since i didn't really play much of ff13 before I threw it away (not literally))

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 06:54:05 AM »
Tidus is named after the tides, too.
I think only Zidane escaped this fate... but it probably means something weather-related in some language or something.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 06:56:43 AM »
and uh... did you mean VIII or XIII?

Fixed it.  I meant VIII... though I did some things in XIII like that as well (although I never got far enough to know whether there is a stealing ability in that game).  In that game I would grind to get points for leveliing up the fake-jobs system they had (what was with all the heavenly rings?).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline veyladrone

• Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »
sometimes i feel like i'm the only person in the world that greatly enjoyed XIII :(  Was it a great game compared to others in series, not really but hey, all its failures were easily overlooked.  Just don't mind the many empty bottles of Jack Daniels around the room that i consumed to get through it :P

But as for XIV, thank god its getting bad reviews. Otherwise i might have picked it up, and believe me, my marriage couldn't survive me becoming addicted to an MMO again.  She almost left me because i was so insane about XI.  So much so that whenever she saw me bring home 13 she gave me a look that would make the greatest of evils quiver with fear and she threatened divorce. Like really, i was "that guy" you always hear about that lets his life fall apart for a video game.  It took me almost as many hours to convince her it was nothing like XI as i put into getting the 840/1000 gamerscore.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 10:55:13 PM »
^That's pretty sad dude... but on the bright side, it means you can get so interested in somethign that you really go crazy over it.... me, nothing really interests me that much. I mean, there are games and other stuff that I really like but nothing that makes me that obsessive.

Only thing that might've done it was Diablo. I was pretty into that for a good long while, but even that dissipated... and I was like 12 when I played it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2010, 10:28:17 PM »
Dude, if this wife of yours gets pissed because of a game you like, then she isn't deserving of you. When it comes to marrage there should be an equal understanding and acceptance about things from both sides of the marrage. If she can't understand how you can love the things that make you happy, then she's the one who'll eventually ruin the commitment to you. No offense on your personal life of course, I just feel annoyed by a person's inability to fully analyse something before they get all steemed up about it.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 10:48:58 AM »
I'm not taking her side or anything, but I bet she felt he rather played FFXI than spent time with her. There should always be room for personal interests, and it's totally give-and-take and everything... but online gaming tends to completely ABSORB the person, and that is very frustrating for the girlfriend/boyfriend... You can't sit each and every night in front of your computer playing a game and expect people to accept that. Also, you probably spend more time in front of the game than you would really admit. 1-2 hours of gaming each night may not seem a lot to you, but it actually kinda is to others... And I bet most people spend even more time than that with their MMORPGs.

Which is why I'm single right now, LOL.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:51:22 AM by shelverton. »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »
That's very true too.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline veyladrone

• Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 05:58:55 PM »
yah it absorbed me. the worst point was just before i quit i had literally spent almost 72 hours w/ no sleep, barely eaten anything, no shower, way to much caffeine, speed and a bunch of painkillers because my hips and knees would hurt from sitting indian style for so long w/o moving.  Only thing that stopped it was i had to go to work, and while at work i thought i was having a heart attack at age 27. Turned out the drugs/caffeine and 0 sleep had caught up with me.

that was the worst it ever was, but yeah when i got home from work, the first place id go would be to my PC.  I would go entire weekends with my wife in the next room and not once would i see her face to face.  I mean really...... my wife would come in the PC room naked and dance to get my attention and my eyes wouldnt even move from the screen.

I finally woke up though,  been clean from drugs and MMORPG for 2 almost 3 years and i have my eyes and attention on my wife more than anything else now.  Cept for the past few weeks cuz i been playing castlevania  ;D  She is ok with that though cuz i actually turn it off when it needs to be turned off.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 08:11:24 PM »
Dude, I'd say you were lying, but that would imply I have some faith in humanity... which I've lost long long long ago.

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 11:11:17 AM »
Final Fantasy has been downhill ever since Enix merged with Square. If I recall, X-2, XI, XII, XIII, and XIV were all under Square-Enix. The only FF I've liked out of that bunch is XIII. Even then, I wouldn't say XIII is great. Good, but definitely far from the best FF in the series. I will say that VI and IX are the best in the series in my opinion.

I could never get into XI at all, so I didn't even bother looking into XIV. I'm not a big MMORPG person. I used to be with 2D MMORPGs years ago, but I never really play any MMORPGs now.

Tags:

anything