Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania and it's vampire lore  (Read 8122 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »
The fact that the book was even included in the timeline.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Belmondo

• A Miserable Little Pile of Secrets
  • Die Monster! You don't belong in this world!
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania and it's vampire lore
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
It's probably just a plot hole. I mean, it's not like that's entirely unheard of in the Castlevania series...

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
Yes, but where does it exactly say on the timeline that this event is the same as the one depicted in Bram Stoker's novel? That's the point I'm trying to argue.

It doesn't say it explicitly, but in both the Portrait of Ruin & Official Konami timelines it says Quincy Morris kept Dracula at bay which is what happened at the end of Bram Stoker's Dracula. If that made it into a game, would it be exactly like the book? Of course not.
Not one of the movies made of the book are exactly like it. By including Quincy Morris and labeling him a Belmont descendant is enough to warrant the assumption that they are including at the very least some interpretation of Bram Stoker's Dracula as part of the canon.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Pentagram-cracker

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania and it's vampire lore
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
About the whole Quincy Morris being a Belmont thing, I have a weird question. In the book wasn't Quincy an American cowboy? So how could he have been a Belmont when the Belmont family was supposed to live in Europe? I mean I know the majority of Americans are descended from European immigrants but still, I think saying John Harker was a Belmont would have been more plausible seeing how he was the one who finished Dracula off with his knife.  :-\

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »
The fact that the book was even included in the timeline.

What?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 04:22:12 AM »
About the whole Quincy Morris being a Belmont thing, I have a weird question. In the book wasn't Quincy an American cowboy? So how could he have been a Belmont when the Belmont family was supposed to live in Europe? I mean I know the majority of Americans are descended from European immigrants but still, I think saying John Harker was a Belmont would have been more plausible seeing how he was the one who finished Dracula off with his knife.  :-\

You'd be surprised how easily a family can spread around the planet given enough offspring and time like say about 800 years.
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
About the whole Quincy Morris being a Belmont thing, I have a weird question. In the book wasn't Quincy an American cowboy? So how could he have been a Belmont when the Belmont family was supposed to live in Europe? I mean I know the majority of Americans are descended from European immigrants but still, I think saying John Harker was a Belmont would have been more plausible seeing how he was the one who finished Dracula off with his knife.

John's friend, Eric Lecarde is also a Belmont by blood, though like John, is not direct decendant. The colonization of the Americas would've started very shortly after 1492. That's only just after CV3 took place. There would be plenty of time for other members of the Belmont clan to 'spread out' so to speak. And by the time of Bloodlines, you'd have different families of the Belmont clan scattered over the globe.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »
There's no such thing as a "direct descendant". What matters is how far begotten they are from certain members of the family. If two members of the family are of the same generation, but one has the "Belmont" surname and the other doesn't, they still technically have the same amount of Belmont blood in them from the previous generation. (unless there was interbreeding of Belmont cousins, which I guess isn't that far-fetched)

Unless the games only count those with the surname "Belmont" as the most "worthy" of heirs.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »
It's likely only those with the "Belmont" surname ARE counted as the rightful heirs. Remember, especially with notable families, passing the family name down and ensuring the name's survival was considered important. Even regarding us fans, we tend to get giddy MORE when they announce a new BELMONT character rather than a non-Belmont character.

As for Bram Stoker's Novel being definative canon, it's a yes and no. Events within the novel took place in CV's timeline, but events in CV's timeline didn't take place in the novel's timeline. Get it? There's also room for these events to happen differently in CV's timeline than they did in Stoker's novel. The only thing they share, likely, are the characters. For all we know, in CV's version of the events, Quincy ventured off in traditional Belmont way, trekking through the Transylvanian countryside, through Dracula's castle and defeated him just like, say, Simon would've.

Tags:

anything