Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Old but wondering, 2D or 3D?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »
2.5D or 3D? Both are using the IDtech3, and are fairly old both are still in dev, tho almost in limbo, im just curious what would gamers like more, 3D or 2D, its the same game, just being made in both 2D and 3D

Made to emulate the PSP look but in HD:
2.5D castlevania Tech Demo

Made to be like the N64-PS2 games:
Vampire Blood Chronicles Alpha Video
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:10:12 PM by Omegasigma »
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »
I don't like either but that is just me. I didn't think any of the 3d castlevania games including the new one were any good either. I prefer the flat 2d sprite based castlevania games. To me those are the only ones that actually feel like castlevania games. The same goes for any other series that started off as 2d and moved to 3d.
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Old but wondering, 2D or 3D?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »
It really depends on the game and series.  For some games, 2D and 2.5D don't cut it.  For others 3D is a mistake.  It really depends on the series and if the makers know what they are doing.  For example, castlevania is great in 2D, but hasn't done well with 3D (LoS being the exception).  That series tends to work better with 2D.  2.5D works well to.  Just look at DXC.  Konami did great with it.  The fact is that Castlevania is really meant to be a sidescroller.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Darth Cariss

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:03:13 AM »
Ahhh, good ol' Jedi Academy. Reminds me of my old Castlevania mod I was making for that game years ago...

Anyway, I personally think 2d could be great, but it would probably take more work. You'd need to edit all the maps to essentially cut out the foreground, though you could still use it for some nice effects in some areas (only seeing your character through windows, or a number of 2d shaders you could stick in there like fog, rain, etc. without having to render it everywhere. You'd have to change the camera system a bit though so it doesn't autocorrect for things blocking your field of view, as evident from your video.

You'd probably need new animations as well, possibly just for attacking, but probably also for the monsters. Naturally Jedi Academy's directional based attacks would need to be removed. You'd also need to remove the player being able to turn (they'd otherwise probably just be within a line of invisible forcefields put into the map so they can't get off "track"), and make it so instead of walking backwards you turn around and walk in the other direction.

All of that is very doable, but it takes effort and work. Not sure what kind of team you have. I know you could handle the mapping parts pretty easily, but the other stuff could be difficult if you don't have someone knowledgable/dedicated.

Oh, and if you plan to do single player, you'd need to mess with the AI of the npcs of course to fit the 2D plane.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 09:51:44 AM »
For me Castlevania should be in 2D but I'm willing to play 2.5D as well as the occasional 3D (That's if the 3D one is as good as CV64/LoD) In the vids above, the one thing that's bugging me about Richter is that he's holding his whip out. If he's not attacking with it it should be resting at his side. Also it should be a chain whip and not leather (yeah I'm nit-picking again  ;D)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Arma

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My, currently outdated, blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:14:35 AM »
very nice, I liked more the look of the second video

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
the issue with the wip, when these videos were made, we didnt know how to animate it, its still a minor issue to this day, the most we've gotten are things that look like a water hose, as for 3D the only ones I really liked were the N64 and PS2 games, LOS, was ok, but it lacked that classic typical castlevania feel, but thats just me, and ive been trying to learn to do a true 2d sprite version as well, I figured I'd try to satisfy everyone, and it is supposed to be Richter in each video as this game was supposed to take place shortly after SOTN
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Tags:

anything