Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Custom "Score Attack" Mode on 3DS Castlevania  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Custom "Score Attack" Mode on 3DS Castlevania
« on: April 13, 2013, 06:05:28 AM »
I've been having some fun playing a custom "score attack" mode that's possible to do on the 3DS version of Castlevania.

First, when I reach the level I want to do the attack on, I kill off all my lives and select Continue to reset the score to zero.  Then I create a Restore Point on the Virtual Console menu.  Then I try to get as many points with one life as possible on that level.  I then record the score on the Game Notes app from the Home Menu.  I then resume the game, reload the Restore Point, and try to beat that score.

So far my high scores are as follows:
Block 1 - 69910
Block 2 - 47460
Block 3 - 57880

If you'd like, you can try this mode and post your scores.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:53:14 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Custom "Score Attack" Mode on 3DS Castlevania
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:58:21 AM »
Cool! I've played through on Normal several times already. The 3DS Virtual Console version is neat because you can create a restore point, and the game also automatically saves your spot when you exit the game without overwriting the restore point you created. I finished on normal mode and created a restore point at the beginning of hard mode so that I could choose whether I wanted to play on normal or hard whenever I start up the game.

I hadn't thought about utilizing the Game Notes application as well. That's pretty nifty. I'll update this post once I get through some levels.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Cool! I've played through on Normal several times already. The 3DS Virtual Console version is neat because you can create a restore point, and the game also automatically saves your spot when you exit the game without overwriting the restore point you created. I finished on normal mode and created a restore point at the beginning of hard mode so that I could choose whether I wanted to play on normal or hard whenever I start up the game.

I hadn't thought about utilizing the Game Notes application as well. That's pretty nifty. I'll update this post once I get through some levels.
Yeah, I was planning on creating a restore point at the beginning of hard mode too.  Too bad you can only have one restore point.  Oh well, I figure if I ever want to get to the hard stages in a hurry, i can always spam using the restore points to make sure i get to it as quickly as possible without dying.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
So save states are official now? I still remember people complaining about emulation because they had the option to cheat using them (not from the forum). lol
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »
Ah yes, I have fond memories of saving a save state before every boss on pc emulation.  Haven't done much emulation since the Virtual Console came out, other than for Vampire Killer, Haunted Castle, NES/Famicom Kid Dracula, and some fan rearrangements.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:33:38 PM »
So save states are official now? I still remember people complaining about emulation because they had the option to cheat using them (not from the forum). lol

Oh they're official with the Virtual Console. I think they're nice for saving progress if I need to take a break from the game, or to make a "hard mode" selection for games without passwords like Castlevania, but I never use it to go cheat my way through. I would feel like I'm cheating myself out of the real experience. It's ultimately up to personal preference how you want to utilize it though.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
I like to save at the beggining of a boss battle or stage, not for cheating, I use it to play any stage or boss batlle when I want. Good to know that they have it in a console now, its much better than the auto-save from virtual console, having these 2 option is even better.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »
You're only allowed one save state/restore point, however. (Unless there's some trickery I don't know about.) But it is dandy for resuming games later on. I like that the 3DS VC has both the save state and temporary "resume point" that the Wii VC does.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 07:38:51 AM »
Does anybody know if the Virtual Console on Wii U (if it's out yet?) has any new features compared to the Wii, such as a Restore Point?  Are all the Castlevania games that are available on Wii available on Wii U?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »
You can send all VC and Wiiware stuff to your Wii U, so yes. But I dont know if they only works in Wii Mode or they works in Wii U Mode too.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
From my understanding, all currently available Wii VC content is available but under a Wii app. Wii U re-releases are slowly rolling out that contain "play on the tablet" functionality. I'd imagine there's probably a restore point option for the U VC releases.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »
oh cool, so that's how things are happening.

Tags:

anything