Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: future Castlevania games should include a Castle Editor.  (Read 9920 times)

Steve

Re: future Castlevania games should include a Castle Editor.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 05:19:11 AM »
In Reply To #2

If they do Make extra Modes with "What If" Scenerios, especially when they make them frustratingly hard, they'd better give them meaningful conclusions, otherwise there's no point.
I was really pissed off with Julius Mode's "Ending", all that hard work for nothing. to this day I have not found it worth it to play that mode all the way through again.

The problem is that the original idea behind these modes, beginning with Richter in Symphony, was to allow you to play the game as if it were old-school Castlevania--no leveling, no equipment, and an ending limited to the hero watching the castle crumble from a distance.

But with Julius Mode, they incorporated just enough modern elements that the old-school purpose was diluted, without adding enough to make up for that loss.  So, while it tries to be both, it's neither a convincing throwback to classic Castlevania, nor a worthy companion mode to Soma's game.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 06:04:44 AM »
To me it never was though. The only worthy throwback extra mode was the simon mode in hod. Others felt nothing like classicvania.

Offline Marty Belmont

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 08:43:33 AM »
In Reply To #12

the female characters in PoR greatly increased your mind power, so I found them to be very useful,
and it was nice to play as Maria Renard for the first time, regardless of the fact that she "Throws her doves at a stupid upwards angle"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:45:34 PM by Marty Belmont »
PORK

Portrait of Rockin' Kastlevania

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »
In Reply To #18

Maria kicks ass in that game, as she does everywhere else she appears.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »
In Reply To #18

I never noticed the doves to go at any "stupid" angle. Hell, never even paid attention to that, because I never found any need to use her. She was always in the back row.

I don't even remember anyone saying that part. :-X

Also you should have emulated Rondo then. Maria's way cooler there. She's got item crashes and her guardian knuckle is awesome. :o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:24:24 AM by Serio »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 04:24:58 AM »
Sometimes I think a nonlinear castle just isn't suited for an old-school Vania game. It doesn't feel like an older CV unless the game is divided up into levels, no backtracking, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes I even wish they'd bring back passwords...now THAT would be a nostalgia bomb. :o

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Marty Belmont

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
In Reply To #20

Maria was only "useless" to you because you wanted her to be.

she regenerates mind power super fast, two of her mystic weapons can go through any enemy (not richochet and dissapear), and her doves can score multiple hits at once
and using Maria and Richter in tandem, with proper timing can criple enemies even better than any item crash would.
speaking of which,

Julius Mode needed item crashes,
Richter mode PoR didn't. why? because the main mode had item crashes, and if Richter mode did have the crashes, it
PORK

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 06:27:23 AM »
Yeah, Serio, I saw almost no use for Richter. I only used him on the Dracula battle. I used Maria almost all the time cause she is so much more powerful.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 07:36:18 AM »
two of her mystic weapons can go through any enemy (not richochet and dissapear)
Press R. :D

and her doves can score multiple hits at once

Press the summon key to summon her for a second, then send back before she starts acting like a retard and walking into enemies. ;)

Julius Mode needed item crashes,
Richter mode PoRk didn't. why?
Because J mode was more balanced and challenging even on normal mode, something richter mode even on cheap mode with level caps didn't do right. :o

and if Richter mode did have the crashes, it

Offline Marty Belmont

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »
In Reply To #23

and using Maria for the dracula battle was intense when I did it, but it was fun. (I had to use her fire bird subweapon intirely to score major hits, and squeeze in her projection attack to heal myself when possible)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 01:36:00 PM by Marty Belmont »
PORK

McDeath

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 07:48:22 PM »
I'd much rather see a castlevania construction set made than an editor for each game.  The set should probably have a starter example game to show you the "how-to's" in making your version of a castlevania game.  A complete character and monster bestiary from all the castlevanias could be accessed.  Since I haven't played all the Castlevanias I'm hard pressed to guess which graphical scheme should be used (probably fan input could help narrow that down).  The graphics library would have to be immense to simulate any of the previous games assuming you wanted to make a "clone" of them (ie. Say you wanted to make a Castlevania II clone using the enhanced graphics of say SOTN).  Definitely the option of making it either classic arcade or using the rp elements of the metroid-like versions would be nice.

Each and every creature, character, and environmental hazard could be customized.  Naturally new ones could be used as well.  This would probably be more suited to the PC community as modding is much more easily done there than on consoles (Actually, I have no idea about the current console units as I don't own any).

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »
Just in case some people didn't know but esco's project is making one and it's already partialy done. He can even add new tilesets if he wants.

McDeath

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 02:27:24 PM »
Any links to his project page?  I suppose I can just google.  Another thing I have noticed about some of the metroidvania games is that while they are very big they aren't "IMMENSE."  Take a look at Castlevania 2 where you could enter a church, shops, or building by pushing the up direction while in front of the door way.  If this was implemented in the same manner in the metroidvania games you'd be taken to another level of castle depth.  Not only could you go up, down, left, right, to various stages but the castle would essentially have "depth" layering.  A game you might want to take a look at that played with this a bit is the old Barbarian II (Axe of Rage Game).  Many many times I got lost even with a map (albeit, it was an overhead map in a booklet and not an automapping system).

You put something like that in a game and you can move to secret rooms, parallel zones (think Deadly Towers for nes but without the 3/4 view & movement).  Now for a set of RPG games that used a similar like engine check out Heroes of the Lance and its sequel Dragons of Flame (I think that's the sequels name).  It used AD&D stats and consisted of a party of adventurers that you could switch at a moments notice.  That game had a crummy game interface IMHO though.

McDeath

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
I just took a look at Super Castlevania IV as I tried it before and now I remember the metal gates that split the courtyard up.  Pushing up would put you either behind or infront of the fence depending on your position.  I rather like the ability to swing across areas and the ability to attack in virtually any direction.  Switching from it to Dracula X for the SNES is a mixed bag IMHO.  I think I'd like to try the original Rondo of Blood.

Tags:

anything