Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What do you recommend for the DS?  (Read 18983 times)

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 02:04:30 AM »
the phoenix wright games are neat.

they're visual novel type games with a lot more interaction.  you play the role of a defense attorney and have to investigate as well as battle in the court to prove your client's innocence.

it requires you to think to figure out the motives/identity of the criminal though and some connections are kind of obscure to figure out, so if you just look for some brainless fun without having to think or read, it's probably not a good game for you. otherwise they're great titles.

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 02:13:32 AM »
Is this the first time you get a DS (to the Original Poster):

'cuz I love MegaManZX and ZX Advent, as well as the Phoenix Wright games.

Nanostray and Nanostray 2 (part 2 more so) are decent shmups for the system.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is pretty good so far (I've had it and have been playing it nonstop since a few weeks ago when it came out).

Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Advance Wars: Day of Ruin are good too.

Hotel Dusk: Room 213 and Trace Memory are good point-n-click adventure/story games.

There's so many other games for that system that are good, just can't think of 'em off the top of my head right now.

As I've said before, the DS is the new SNES.

I had my DS ever since it came out. I have the DS castlevanias, the DS megamans (starforce included, never played BN. Actually, I didn't really like SF, since it's more damn repeative than my final fantasy 3 DS), mario kart, New super mario, YGO nightmare troubador (this one was just plain figgin' boring), Lunar Knights, pokemon diamond version, and uh . . . nintendogs. Nintendogs is actually my sister's though.

FFIIIDS was also a damn long game, it isn't even funny. Too me 70 hours to beat it. Not including the 80+ hours that I died and had to back track like forever since I never really saved much. I also hated the fact you HAD to level up to beat some bosses. (Last boss is a big one). It was very fun when I was playing it, but when I look back, it should of been fustrating, but instead turned into one of my best lasting games. It's more of a paradox.

The ones I heard interesting is contra 4 and prime pinball. Not sure why pinball, but if contra 4 has two previous contra games in it, that might be a reason to get it. Three games in one, score. I also don't need to get the others, since it's in the same cart. Double score.

Is prime hunters any good? I loved the 2D side scroller of both the GBA ones, but I despise 3D first person games for reasons unknown. Don't know why, I just hate them.

So can cantra 4 have the those other games in it playable before the actual game, or they unlockables? I never played contra before.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »
Prime Hunters is alright, from what I've seen.  I own it but I've not played it (this is true for many games I Own).

However, when I typed MegaMan, I was specifically referring to the ZX one, not the Battle Network ones.  ZX is awesome.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Re: What do you recommend for the DS?
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
In Reply To #18

Why on earth would you buy a game and not play it? :-\

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 08:18:08 PM »
In Reply To #18

Why on earth would you buy a game and not play it? :-\

I have almost 10 I haven't played yet....

For DS get
Trauma Center 1 and 2
Hoshigami Remix
Super Monkey Ball
Mario Kart
Metriod Prime Hunters
and IZUNA!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »
In Reply To #20

Why...? I'm afraid I'm missing the significance of buying something and not using it. :-\

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 11:04:44 PM »
Some people do that, unintentionally or not. For instance my brother makes good money, he likes to buy things yet rarely gets around to use/enjoy them because of other priorities.

I'm guilty of this disease, as well  :'(

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »
In Reply To #21

It's not like I don't WANT to play them, but the problem is that with work, a social life, and other priorities, I just do not find the time.

However, I still want to support good games/franchises, so I get them.  Plus, I always have hope that someday I'll have a chance to play them.

There are oohhhhhhhhh so many games I own (legal copy too, not bootleg) that I haven't even gotten started on.  Hell, there's some that still have the shrinkwrap on 'em!

It's terrible.

Someday when I'm off on Vacation and have nothing to do, I'll play some of 'em... but it is likely that I'll do other things like travel or do some hobbies like art or music or something, and once again they'll be put to the side.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Gimph

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 08:04:20 AM »
In Reply To #23

That's tragic... :'(

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 09:36:31 AM »
In Reply To #21

It's not like I don't WANT to play them, but the problem is that with work, a social life, and other priorities, I just do not find the time.

However, I still want to support good games/franchises, so I get them.  Plus, I always have hope that someday I'll have a chance to play them.

There are oohhhhhhhhh so many games I own (legal copy too, not bootleg) that I haven't even gotten started on.  Hell, there's some that still have the shrinkwrap on 'em!

It's terrible.

Someday when I'm off on Vacation and have nothing to do, I'll play some of 'em... but it is likely that I'll do other things like travel or do some hobbies like art or music or something, and once again they'll be put to the side.

That thought alone is scary...
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 12:14:47 PM »
I'm sorta like Jorge, buying a good number of games that take me a long time to get around to playing. My main reason for this is that a lot of games go out of print quickly, and most of the games I buy are usually around $25-30, so I figure I'd rather buy them now and not play them till later on than to pay more for used copies when I'm finally ready to play.

Anyway, I suggest Hotel Dusk, Elite Beat Agents, Sonic Rush, Contra 4, and Mega Man ZX. And to the dude who said NSMB is poor and derivative, eat my balls. :o Sonic Rush Adventure is such a shitty piece of fuck compared to NSMB and the first Rush.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 01:42:10 PM »
I'm sorta like Jorge, buying a good number of games that take me a long time to get around to playing. My main reason for this is that a lot of games go out of print quickly, and most of the games I buy are usually around $25-30, so I figure I'd rather buy them now and not play them till later on than to pay more for used copies when I'm finally ready to play.

Anyway, I suggest Hotel Dusk, Elite Beat Agents, Sonic Rush, Contra 4, and Mega Man ZX. And to the dude who said NSMB is poor and derivative, eat my balls. :o Sonic Rush Adventure is such a shitty piece of fuck compared to NSMB and the first Rush.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »

It only starts sucking when you get to Sky Babylon.  Before that, It's pretty good.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 11:28:26 PM »
I just didn't like the whole map/"adventure" aspect, and the levels just weren't as fun as Rush's, even from the get-go. Plus, whoever that is doing the music and emulating Hideki Naganuma's style for the first game is a total hack 'cos they're not doing it right. Everything about this game, to me, pales in comparison to the original. Sonic Rush re-sparked my interest in the series, and Adventure let me down again hard. Glad I stole it from the Internetz and didn't have to pay for it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 11:53:23 PM »
Yeah, the submarine was BS.  Didn't even lock on half the time.

The coral cave theme was good, though.  That's about it.

Tags: