Donkey Kong
0 (0%)
Donkey Kong Jr
0 (0%)
Mario Bros
0 (0%)
Super Mario Bros
0 (0%)
Super Mario Bros 2 (Japanese/Asian  true sequel)
1 (2.9%)
Super Mario Bros USA (Super Mario Bros 2 in the states and Europe)
1 (2.9%)
Super Mario Bros 3
13 (38.2%)
Super Mario World
10 (29.4%)
Super Mario Land
0 (0%)
Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins
1 (2.9%)
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2
1 (2.9%)
Super Mario 64
1 (2.9%)
Super Mario Sunshine
1 (2.9%)
Super Mario Galaxy
2 (5.9%)
New Super Mario Bros
1 (2.9%)
Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
0 (0%)
Paper Mario
1 (2.9%)
Paper Mario 2
1 (2.9%)
Super Paper Mario
0 (0%)
Super Mario Galaxy 2
0 (0%)
Yoshi's Island DS
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best Mario Games  (Read 11364 times)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:45:28 PM »
What's Yall's fav. Mario title? I love Super Mario Bros. 3 The best.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »
Super Mario World hah!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
Wheres the Mario RPG?

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »
Mario 3 and Super Mario World!
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 02:24:52 AM »

Super Mario World!

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:27:39 AM »
I like super mario world, but i voted for super mario land 2: the six golden coins, because i find it more attractive.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:48:59 AM »
Super Mario Bros 3 for the WIN
but Super Mario World still plays like a dream.

Ummm  what about the New Super Mario Bros for DS?

Offline Bizarro Belmont

• WHAT?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Best Mario Games
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
Where's Mario is Missing and Mario's Time MAchine?

Oh well, Super Mario Bros. 3 for the win.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 03:25:30 PM »
Polls updated can't believe I forgot the RPG games, must've had side scrolling on the brain yesterday.

Shinobi

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:24:26 PM »
No New Super Mario Brothers DS on the poll? I'll vote for that game.

Edit:
Oops, my bad! Now I saw it!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:29:22 PM by Shinobi »

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 11:38:49 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy showed me the most complete Mario experience ever. It had everything the others had and so much more.

Form changing puzzles? Check.

Secret worlds? Check.

Clever level designs at an enticing pace? Check.

Crappy story? (well actually it's more solid than past ones).

Every level played different from the others (except in rare cases where they reused them), and it was entertaining from beginning to end. Controls were amazing, creativity oozed from every instance -- every room -- every second -- and it's one of few Wii games out there that gets the idea of motion control down pat. It's never overused, but the parts that use it make their statements well.

And don't even get me started on the gorgeous graphics and music... Too late. Everything had a beautiful ethereal glow and several objects glistened with awesome refraction effects.  The colors were bright and inviting, and nothing felt unnatural -- crazy enough for a space-themed game. Particle effects brought the bosses to life and Nintendo pushed their ideas with physics to the max. Sega may have done it first with Sonic, but Nintendo just plain did it better. They have raised the standard AGAIN.

The soundtrack is quite simply the most ambitious and complete offering Koji Kondo and team have ever conceived and produced. The music is full of dynamic emotion; the style screams of Nintendo's personality, but with a more mature care than in the past; and quite frankly I can't find a bad track on it.

My only quips would be that the star bit collecting sometimes feels gimmicky, but I wouldn't say any more so than the traditional yellow coins; and that the difficulty is a little on the light side at times.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 11:40:35 PM »
The original Lost Levels SMB2, the challenge of finishing the game 8 times straight without warping to see worlds A-D is just too much for me not to enjoy.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 05:57:37 PM »
Where's Mario is Missing and Mario's Time MAchine?

Oh well, Super Mario Bros. 3 for the win.

Those weren't made by nintendo and are really really bad.

Dracula Cruz

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 08:05:51 AM »
I loved SMB3, don't get me wrong, but seeing as i'm an RPG fan, I voted Paper Mario 2. Hell, do you know an RPG that actually makes fun of itself AND has parts where you can play as Bowser in SMB-like side scrollers?

SMB3 and Paper Mario 2 FTW!!! ;D

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 11:41:54 PM »
Fun topic. I chose Super Mario World.

Mario Fav. list:
1.) Mario World
2.) Mario 64/Mario 64 DS
3.) Mario 3
4.) Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
5.) Mario USA/Mario 2.

*"Mario World" felt the most balanced and complete.

*"Mario 64" was a revolutionary title and is still an unbelievably fun game to play. You really feel the freedom of 3D and Mario's athleticism in it. The only tiny nitpick I have is that it could have had a little more iconography (which the DS redux began to move in the right direction to fix with the addition of stuff like the P-Balloon ability).

*"Mario 3" is just plain crazy. So much new ground covered and it explodes with creativity. The level designs are often a little too short, though, and it just doesn't feel as balanced as Super Mario World.

*"Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins" is often overlooked, but it's a real gem. It feels fresh. Plus, this is when Wario debuted and was still a cool, competent villain. (I hate what they've done with Wario over the years. He could have been a great reoccurring boss like the Koopa Kids. Now, he's  an oaf).

*"Mario USA/Mario 2" may not have been a Mario game originally, but it's as Mario to me as Mario 1. Why characters like Fryguy, Mouser, and the rest haven't reappeared as villains since is beyond me. They were awesome. And those potions that created doors...incredible.

Those five are my essential Mario titles. The others, while generally solid, I could take or leave. "New Super Mario Bros" was decidedly average despite its good graphics. That whole "giant Mario is new" bit that they sold the game on turned out to be false, when I realized they had already done it in Mario 64 DS in 3D. My verdict's out on "Galaxy," as I don't have a Wii. The only other thing I want to say is that "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island" is really overrated.

Tags: