Poll

Which 2D Metroid is the best of them all?

Metroid
2 (9.1%)
Metroid 2: Return of Samus
0 (0%)
Super Metroid
15 (68.2%)
Metroid: Fusion
3 (13.6%)
Metroid: Zero Mission
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Which is the best 2D metroid  (Read 14080 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Which is the best 2D metroid
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 11:24:43 PM »
I wouldn't mind them trying a third-person 3D Metroid either.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 12:05:37 AM »
In Reply To #31

I don't think it'll look right Uncle Ant :P

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 12:22:06 PM »
In Reply To #31

I don't think it'll look right Uncle Ant :P

I've never understood this view. Would it be harder to program for? Probably. But the Morph Ball sequences, and the animation of rolling into and out of them, show that 3rd person 3D is possible. Metroid is basically a sci-fi Zelda, and if Zelda could work in 3rd person 3D, so can Metroid.

The advantages of this would allow for more involved platforming and environmental interaction (ledge grabs, zip lines, wall jumps, etc), as well as items like the classic Speed Booster and Space Jump. Also, I think there's more room to grow as far as items/control options in 3rd person. Look at the opening to Super Smash Bros Melee where Samus is fighting Ridley, and tell me that doesn't look intense compared to a screen with a floating gun-arm out in front.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 03:33:59 PM »
I just think a full blown 3rd person game isn't really necessary, when they can make a superior New smb-esque game for the DSi. Just sayin'..

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »
Screw Attack is already in 3rd person too.

Offline Bizarro Belmont

• WHAT?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 08:20:56 AM »
Super Metroid. Easily.
Original Metroid, as most everyone has said here, is really hard to get into.
Metroid 2, while I never had the oppurtunity to play as much, was nothin remarkable, imo.
Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero were both pretty fun, and together, they are my second place ties.
Nothing, however, compares to Super Metroid. Quite frankly, this is one of the first games that really gave me the open world feeling. The game was the first I played that really told a story with a very minimalistic approach. With the exception of the introduction, very little words were used, but so much emotion could be stirred up with through it's nonverbal story telling. The sacrifice at the end of the game is a solid testament to that claim.

Beautiful post and a perfect summary of this game. I'm surprised thay haven't put Super Metroid on the DS (I don't have a Wii so I'd be clueless if they put it on the Virtual Console).

I haven't played Metroid 2 or Fusion, but I doubt they compare. Zero Mission is fun but WAY too short (I beat it in three hours on my first attempt.). the original, while a classic, is ridiculous.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »
I really liked Metroid 2 it was one of the very few games I actually played all the way thru and beat on the big hulkin original gameboy. I got a gba emu on my psp now so Im gonna try to give Zero Mission a play thru never played it

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 11:06:58 PM »
Return of Samus is just too random for me.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 06:18:07 PM »
super metroid, been playin' it since 94'. Still finding new hidden shit. Games one of the biggest in existence when it comes to the sheer number of hidden upgrades and items dispersed out over the gigantic planet of zebes. Anybody who can beat it in under 3 hours with everything is a god of gaming.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:55:15 PM by The Last Belmont »
_______________________________________ ______________

Tags: