Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: best Castlevania cake in ze WORLD!  (Read 7527 times)

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
Re: best Castlevania cake in ze WORLD!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
In Reply To #8

Actually no. The linked one is better because it's homemade.

Storemade/box cake always fails. When you said you had an awesome cake I was expecting a homemade handdecorated cake. Not a crappy store transfer cake. I wouldn't ever touch that junk of a dessert, and not out of respect for the artistry.

More effort was put into the first one as well =P

/baking rant (sorry, I bake all the time and I absolutely CANNOT stand store cakes. They lack the personality and love, and FLAVOR that homemade ones have)

Offline Saner

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »
ya, home cakes are so humble and meaningful.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 07:37:05 PM »
I agree! That homemade cake was the shit. Id take it over cecils any day. No offense or anythin

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »
In Reply To #8

Actually no. The linked one is better because it's homemade.

Storemade/box cake always fails. When you said you had an awesome cake I was expecting a homemade handdecorated cake. Not a crappy store transfer cake. I wouldn't ever touch that junk of a dessert, and not out of respect for the artistry.

More effort was put into the first one as well =P

/baking rant (sorry, I bake all the time and I absolutely CANNOT stand store cakes. They lack the personality and love, and FLAVOR that homemade ones have)

To be fair, you don't really know if either of the cakes pictured here were made from scratch or not.

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 10:06:06 PM »
In Reply To #19

You'd make a detailed cake like that for your kid but do a cheap, talentless transfer for your significant other or whoever??

I'd swap your statement around, actually. It's hardly amateurish. It takes a LOT skill and training to get that perfect, smooth white frosting finish, and an incredible eye for detail to get the colored frosting onto the cake like that. Not to mention trimming the cake rounds perfectly to get a pure cylindrical form (there are all kinds of shape impurities along the outside and top of round cakes that have to be trimmed if they're to be stacked properly) This isn't an amateur work at all. Not professional, but the artist definitely has more than a touch of skill. They seriously put a ton of thought, love and time into that cake.

Anyone can do a transfer and a cute little blue wave border.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:08:44 PM by Clara E. Leet »

Offline Cold Windy Night

• it was a
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 04:11:28 AM »
In Reply To #19

Sorry that one of your happy memories just got sodomized. T_T

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 05:18:45 AM »
I don't doubt at all that there were fun times surrounding that cake. And even despite the transfer, any way to work video games into a birthday party outside of presents is always a fun surprise.

But to say that this cake is more impressive than the handmade one is more than a bit of a stretch and an insult to the artist as well.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 08:51:53 AM »
In Reply To #19

I'd swap your statement around, actually. It's hardly amateurish. It takes a LOT skill and training to get that perfect, smooth white frosting finish, and an incredible eye for detail to get the colored frosting onto the cake like that. Not to mention trimming the cake rounds perfectly to get a pure cylindrical form (there are all kinds of shape impurities along the outside and top of round cakes that have to be trimmed if they're to be stacked properly) This isn't an amateur work at all. Not professional, but the artist definitely has more than a touch of skill. They seriously put a ton of thought, love and time into that cake.

Anyone can do a transfer and a cute little blue wave border.

I didn't intend to disparage the execution at all, although my post kinda' came across that way.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:28:43 PM by cecil-kain »

Offline Giz

• Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »
So would that round cake suddenly become cheapened by the lack of time spent on hand decorum?
Yes.

That is akin to putting something foreign into the cake; it's as meaningless as putting gold or something else incredibly dumb into your coffee or cake - from what I've heard there is no tase difference, really.

The fact of the matter is in this instance someone actually made that, the peices of the level stick out, they are made from different things and can be eaten - more often probably with some other nice flavors thrown into the different colored parts.

Or at least, as far as I can gather. I am not a cake-ician.
-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
Yes.

That is akin to putting something foreign into the cake; it's as meaningless as putting gold or something else incredibly dumb into your coffee or cake - from what I've heard there is no tase difference, really.

Dude, the image is an edible creamy cake topping, not some piece of cardboard.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:27:00 PM by cecil-kain »

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
Actually you can flavor frosting. A lot of folks like to use chocolate frosting for brown flavor. You could also use cream cheese frosting for a base or for white color in conjunction with the buttercream.

Not to say that they did, but it is possible to mix things up like that.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »
In Reply To #24

cake-ician... thats fuckin awesome

Tags:

anything