Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: My CV2 Remake DEMO  (Read 22683 times)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »
In Reply To #44

that would work if they were stairs like the old games but these are only stairs cause they happen to be 45 degree angles. It has nothin to do with the object as to how its climbed. It can be any solid object with any sprite with any kinda raise or lower even half circles... hell move over its height pixel by pixel. It has nothin to do with the objects themselves... just the sprites which are invisible once the games runnin

In Reply To #45

and if its so fuckin simple lets see you do better mr know it all
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 09:04:08 PM by Aridale »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2009, 09:11:35 PM »
Whoa whoa, I did not mean to cause animosity.  Calm down, guys.

@Aridale:
If what you're saying is true, then it seems to me like the problem would solve itself if you offset the hill/slope's location (its anchor point) 8 pixels to the left or the right of its graphical tile (depending on whether the stairs climb towards the left or the right) and that would place Simon's sprite right in the middle of 'em, thus causing him to look like he's halfway inside the stairs.

I deal with this problem when I was designing my homebrew.  We chose stairs over hills only for that oldschool feel, but we analyzed the problems for both methods.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Giz

• Also Sprach Zarathustra
  • Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: My CV2 Remake DEMO
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
@Giz:
Must you be an annoyance in every thread you reply in?
yeah

But in all seriousness, what little I played seemed pretty decently made. And while I didn't play much due to lag (not an issue of your engine but rather my computer), I got a good enough impression. The biggest fault I can see right now is more in the controls. In the future, I'd suggest either altering them or adding the option to configure your own control scheme. Another issue was that the view jumps around when you enter new rooms, like the church; my suggestion to fix this would be to monitor the view and assign it a specific location once you enter and either 'lock it' in place, or if the room is large, put it on an already defined path of movement.

It also looks like your character is 'falling' sometimes while he's walking down steps. It's very shaky. I'd suggest revising your code there. Out of curiosity, what method did you use to pull it off? I may be able to assist.

Slopes are actually a pretty simple matter once you know what you're doing, particularly with them at an already defined angle.
-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2009, 12:08:27 AM »
@Giz:
Must you be an annoyance in every thread you reply in?

yeah

Whether you think you're funny or not, I don't think you're going to make it here much longer.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40:46 AM »
In Reply To #48

The view does exactly what your sayin. The problem coulda been the lag you were talkin about. Its not noticeable on mine at all. The only place a see a slight "hitch" is changin rooms entirely. All the shops in Jova are actually in the same map as the rest of the town.

About the controls... was it the keys you didnt like? like how I used shift and control? I dont really play it with the keyboard mself unless Im just doin a quick test. I play it with a ps2 controller. It works aok with any of the joystick/controller mappin software. I use XPadder for everythin.

GMs joystick support is ass without dlls or addons and I dont really wanna mess with it. Im tryin to keep it as small and simple as possible.

About the stairs. I completely rewrote my slope findin code last night and got all the stair climbin animations workin. Heres a pic of movin on the stairs. The top 2 are stoppin in "good" positions where hes seated on the stairs exactly. The other 2 are when you stop in "bad" positions and hes not seated on the stairs quite right. Its still the same stairs as it was before so of course his visual position doesnt match the visual tiles 100% of the time.

Is that what you were talkin about from HoD Jorge?

Offline Giz

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:45 AM »
Yeah, it's that you're using ctrl and shift. I'd recommend using A and S or Z and X (with the left key being jump and the right key being attack).

As for the view, I meant more along the lines of how it looks like this when you first enter the room:

Which doesn't really look that great. There's a large amount of useless black space, and half of the room itself isn't even in view.
-----------
If there's anything that would make me hate the classic Castlevania games, it most certainly isn't the games themselves; but rather, that ignorant fraction of their fanbase.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2009, 09:45:06 AM »
In Reply To #50

In HoD, Simon's feet 'snap' to an 8x8 location on the stair grid, so that even if you're running up and down the stairs, it always moves you forward a bit so that your feet snap to it.

So Simon's feet are always on the right spot on the stair.  With a little work, you can polish the way you're doing it and it'll look awesome!

Also, I agree with Giz on both the controls set up as well as the view.  I was using Ctrl/Shift so much that it triggered the 'stickykeys' menu in Windows, which triggered the 'Simon's whip is outside of his body' glitch.

The view problem's is apparent in small rooms like the church and the shops/houses.  I suppose you could kill it by playing the game double-size and sticking to a 512/480 resolution or something.  I kinda like that it's big and open, but it does make for a somewhat disorienting view, the way the camera is centered on Simon...

In my homebrew, we had the camera follow the hero only when not near the edges of the stage.  This way, when you start the stage your camera 'snaps' to the edges' and it only moves if you move beyond that certin point.  With your large stage resolution that might not be feasable though.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
In Reply To #52

well hell if I was gonna make him snap exactly on the stairs locations why would have even used the SoTN style stairs in the first place? I woulda just used the oldschool stairs which Ive always despised. Whatd be the point in havin per pixel stairs if I was just gonna make him move 8x4 every step hes on em?

I can see the point about the controls tho I always turn sticky keys off so that didnt happen to me but I can see where it could. I was thinkin about a WASD control style. Maybe 1 and 2 on the numpad for attack and jump? Some ppl may be on laptops or somethin tho. Maybe like you said.. z and x for attack and jump and arrows for movement like most flash games. Thatd prolly help with enter vs shift problems with openin the inventory when you mean to attack and etc as well.

I know you guys say the view doesnt do what your talkin about but it DOES. I just dont have it workin 100% right now. If you move into the church itll lock so you cant move toward the right and make the screen scroll into the darkness. Same of the other shops. I just havent adjusted the Y heights in that demo. Its only workin on the X axis. I cant remember but that version might lock the Y axis too after you get to the center of the room. The entire town locks you Y view at the water the shops and church are below all that. It does work its just not exactly spot on in the demo.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2009, 03:48:51 PM »

http://www.dimondsoft.com/castlevania/

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »
In Reply To #54

ok... whats that spose to prove? Youve got the same stair movement mine had til I added the actual stair animations? You think yours is better cause its not 8bit? I dont get it

Offline Giz

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2009, 07:32:05 PM »
Aridale, His engine is coded in C++ if I recall correctly, much more advanced and equally much more impressive, and he has stairs that work perfectly fine SOTN style.

His point was, you challenged him and he responded. And no offense intended, but his blows yours out of the water.

-----------

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2009, 07:41:41 PM »
In Reply To #56

oh if his is c++ then I agree... but I still dont see the difference in the stairs. The only difference is visual

Offline Giz

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2009, 07:47:19 PM »
It also has varying angles, which is a trait that you have not shown possible with your engine, even if it was, i doubt it would be utilized.
-----------

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »
In Reply To #58

mine does... its pixel perfect slopes Ive mentioned it before. And no it wont be used cause Im makin CV2 so hows that matter?

And my chars CAN tell their on a slope see the pic above of Simon on the stairs. I already said I rewrote my slope code to include the actual stair animations

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2009, 07:59:11 PM »
The only difference is visual

Take a better look.

Tags: