Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Predict the effects of Lords of Shadow.  (Read 23253 times)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Predict the effects of Lords of Shadow.
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »
How do you think this is? Cuz he uses a whip like weapon? Because it is 3d? Will it have QTEs as it's core gameplay?

Because God of War did it better, and did it before Lords of Shadow. Lords of Shadow's current form owes a lot to God of War thus far we've seen. They did what Konami refused to or couldn't do, then Konami comes back many years later to re-take the basic formula after the fact. Devil May Cry is also another good example of being better at 3D Castlevania than Konami was, only more SotN style.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 12:18:40 AM »
Because God of War did it better, and did it before Lords of Shadow. Lords of Shadow's current form owes a lot to God of War thus far we've seen. They did what Konami refused to or couldn't do, then Konami comes back many years later to re-take the basic formula after the fact. Devil May Cry is also another good example of being better at 3D Castlevania than Konami was, only more SotN style.

Until the game comes out, you have no idea. Blame IGA for that. You can't blame Konami for finally trying to do it right after all these years.
There's also the platforming. God of War had little to no platforming. If Cox is to be trusted at all, which I think he is because he gains nothing by lying about the game structure, Lords of Shadow will feel different from God of War even if we only take into account that the focus on platforming is being increased.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 02:03:44 AM »
The bit of gameplay I've seen in the trailers actually reminds me a lot of the PS2 Rygar, which was an excellent game and also felt very Castlevania in many ways, including its beautiful orchestral music. The Combat Cross's swings remind me of that game's Diskarmor, and the way Cox describes breaking things to get items is more or less what Rygar did.

Offline MeSako

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
and the way Cox describes breaking things to get items is more or less what Rygar did.

And as we all have done in about every Castlevania game up to date.. ..

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 12:53:39 PM »
And as we all have done in about every Castlevania game up to date.. ..

Lies and deceit. The ONLY thing we have ever broken in a Castlevania game is a candle.

Offline MeSako

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »
Lies and deceit. The ONLY thing we have ever broken in a Castlevania game is a candle.

And walls, chandeliers, urns, statues and what not!! <--- U forgot about these??

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
And walls, chandeliers, urns, statues and what not!! <--- U forgot about these??

And faces.

Offline MeSako

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 02:09:33 PM »

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »
U lost me there..

You break faces....like zombie faces....okay never mind..

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 09:59:06 PM »

Oh wow, I did. In all of this "lolcandles" I forgot that Castlevania is more than just whipping candles.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »
The effects of this game:

A possible good series of 3d castlevania games being made.

Sign me up.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 01:43:36 PM »
You can't blame Konami for finally trying to do it right after all these years.

You're missing the point. Its not bad that they're going this route, but they shouldn't, and you shouldn't, expect people to not make comments about the similarity in regards to God of War and the like.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 11:26:37 PM »
You're missing the point. Its not bad that they're going this route, but they shouldn't, and you shouldn't, expect people to not make comments about the similarity in regards to God of War and the like.

I'm not. From what we've seen, the combat in the game resembles God of War. You can't really argue that. What I was contesting is the idea that that:
A. Instantly makes it a bad game
B. Justifies statements such as "Because God of War did it better, and did it before Lords of Shadow."

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 11:27:25 PM »
I'm not. From what we've seen, the combat in the game resembles God of War. You can't really argue that. What I was contesting is the idea that that:
A. Instantly makes it a bad game
B. Instantly makes it so that the entire game is a clone of God of War.
C. Justifies statements such as "Because God of War did it better, and did it before Lords of Shadow."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
Again, you're misinterpreting my words. I didn't say anywhere that God of War is better than Lords of Shadow, nor did I say Lords of Shadow is a bad game, or will be a bad game.

Tags: