Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: BOO! Castlevania: Symphony of the Night looks AWFUL  (Read 13255 times)

Offline James Belmont

• Dude
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: BOO! Castlevania: Symphony of the Night looks AWFUL
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 09:02:16 AM »
Ok ok, so maybe it was an awfully stupid reason to make a topic, and maybe there is no subtlety (yes... it's a joke...for the few who are confused) to my poor excuse for satire. But it really wasn't directed at any one person, so there is no need to get testy. This is NOT meant to seem like I'm telling you to salivate over LoS. But if we had this forum before Symphony came out, there is no DOUBT we would get a post like that. All I'm saying is that we may want to hold our tongues when it comes to assumptions about a game that is not out, and very different.

Quoted for truth. You guys already embraced a game that tossed classic CV out the window in favor of Anne Rice melodrama, pretty-boy heroes, and a game style that was highly reminiscent (read: exactly the same) as Metroid. Not only that, but SotN not only tossed aside the Belmonts, but made the only Belmont present into a villain, AND THEN, guaranteed that no Belmont would wield the whip until this 1999 battle that, let's face it, we'll probably never see in a game. SotN, as great a game as it was, screwed over CV before LoS could have ever dreamed of doing it.

Offline jimmay17

• "Naysayer"
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 10:07:18 AM »
You know, in part, I actually don't disagree with the sentiment, as pettily snide as it was presented, of the original post. Yes, if SotN were presented today, it would face similar backlash. And, had the internet been used to discuss such things back then, maybe things would have looked the same as far as reaction in the fan community goes.

But whatever reservations people had going into Symphony were won over by its exceptional gameplay. It was just such a great game that it overrode people's preconceptions and expectations. Can Lords of Shadow do that? I damn well hope so, and absolutely recognize it's possible. We'll have to wait and see. And there's something to be said for withholding judgment until we actually get to play it. Contrary to some people's interpretations of forthcoming criticism, no one is saying that they know its going to disappoint. But none of us has played it yet, and so all we have to go on is the meager scraps Mercurysteam has given us. . .and so far those scraps have generated a lot of unease.

Opinions vary. Take the Castlevania movie on again/off again project. Here on this very site there were people that actually thought Andersen's attachment was a good idea. From my point of view, how anyone could see any of his previous movies and think it would be a good idea for him to direct anything grander than a Frosted Flakes commercial is beyond me. But not everyone shares my point of view. Some people legitimately think the Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil movies were actually good films. I disagree.

One additional note that bears mentioning is that when Iga was attached and set out to shake things up a bit, he didn't come out telling people to "forget what you know about Castlevania", he didn't jettison candles, hearts and other staples of the series. In fact, all he really did was expand upon the pre-existing scheme. He/they added non-linearity, backtracking, jettisoned time limits, allowed the player to level up and collect armor/weapons/relics (RPG elements which Simon's Quest had also lightly utilized.) Essentially, they took elements from the previous entries, Simon's Quest, Rondo of Blood, and the more 'classic' games and kicked it up a notch. Symphony was never sold as a reinvention or a reboot of the series, Lords of Shadow is, and the approach has struck me as arrogant and condascending. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:15:33 AM by jimmay17 »
If I forgot "everything I knew about Castlevania" I certainly wouldn't be excited about a new one coming out now would I?

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 05:13:48 PM »
You know, in part, I actually don't disagree with the sentiment, as pettily snide as it was presented, of the original post. Yes, if SotN were presented today, it would face similar backlash. And, had the internet been used to discuss such things back then, maybe things would have looked the same as far as reaction in the fan community goes.

But whatever reservations people had going into Symphony were won over by its exceptional gameplay. It was just such a great game that it overrode people's preconceptions and expectations. Can Lords of Shadow do that? I damn well hope so, and absolutely recognize it's possible. We'll have to wait and see. And there's something to be said for withholding judgment until we actually get to play it. Contrary to some people's interpretations of forthcoming criticism, no one is saying that they know its going to disappoint. But none of us has played it yet, and so all we have to go on is the meager scraps Mercurysteam has given us. . .and so far those scraps have generated a lot of unease.

Opinions vary. Take the Castlevania movie on again/off again project. Here on this very site there were people that actually thought Andersen's attachment was a good idea. From my point of view, how anyone could see any of his previous movies and think it would be a good idea for him to direct anything grander than a Frosted Flakes commercial is beyond me. But not everyone shares my point of view. Some people legitimately think the Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil movies were actually good films. I disagree.

One additional note that bears mentioning is that when Iga was attached and set out to shake things up a bit, he didn't come out telling people to "forget what you know about Castlevania", he didn't jettison candles, hearts and other staples of the series. In fact, all he really did was expand upon the pre-existing scheme. He/they added non-linearity, backtracking, jettisoned time limits, allowed the player to level up and collect armor/weapons/relics (RPG elements which Simon's Quest had also lightly utilized.) Essentially, they took elements from the previous entries, Simon's Quest, Rondo of Blood, and the more 'classic' games and kicked it up a notch. Symphony was never sold as a reinvention or a reboot of the series, Lords of Shadow is, and the approach has struck me as arrogant and condascending. 

I agree with a lot of what you said but the last point is wrong imo. Sotn had more CHANGES while they may be additions there were so many changes made to it that it felt like a totally different game. It didn't feel like the castlevania game we knew but it was a damn good game so people accepted it.

This new game lords of shadows if anything is taking the series back to its roots.. Going for a more traditional stage base adventure with whips, a belmont and the likes. Whats different so far? No candles and its a new story... Only two things that we know of.  Two very minor things imo..

Candles can be seen as a let down because its a staple but having a new storyline? what does it matter it still is a belmont The very same family that started the series in the beginning. I'm just not seeing the complaints here.. Not at all.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 05:26:23 PM »

Question;

Were there candles to whip in Simon's Quest? I honestly can't remember... I'm actually leaning towards no. I may be wrong though.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 05:35:37 PM »
Question;

Were there candles to whip in Simon's Quest? I honestly can't remember... I'm actually leaning towards no. I may be wrong though.

I believe you are correct. Now you just knocked out another thing people shouldn't complain about. Lol

Thank you!

You get hearts by killing creatures in that game I do believe.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 05:42:28 PM »
+1
Nice first post, made me laugh a lot and reminded me some spanish Cv forum  :D Good irony.

Everything comes full circle

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 06:50:27 PM »

Yeah, nobody ever complains about Simon's Quest NOT having any candles to whip, but when LoS is doing the exact same thing people go bonkers. lol.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
This was a waste of a topic.

And just because this topic was started Lords of Shadow will probably end up being awful!
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 08:50:13 PM »
This was a waste of a topic.

And just because this topic was started Lords of Shadow will probably end up being awful!

I've doomed us all! And we're running out of internets!!!!!
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »
So much for Castlevania! This game looks like a total ripoff of Super Metroid! Might as well call it Metroidvania hahahah! Plus, you don't even play as a Belmont! You play as Dracula's prissy son! Lame!!!! I hate things that are different! This new style of Castlevania is a complete betrayal of everything the series has ever stood for! Also, you level up like an RPG! So now it's copying Metroid AND Final Fantasy VII!?!?!  The only format Castlevania has ever worked in is a linear platformer, and that's the only way it should be! I don't even want to play this when it comes out. GAAAAAAYYYYYYYY.

You could make similar rants against CV64, Lament of Innocence, Judgment, and the Arcade House of the Dead style CV, only you'd be fairly justified in those rants.  Yup, LoS could turn out to be awesome.  It could also turn out to be suck.  The fact that one past series offshoot turned out well isn't really relevant unless you admit that four other offshoots were failures.  (Though I actually kinda like LoI.)

Anyway, I do see your point, and I remain optimistic about LoS.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 08:23:45 AM »
Holy shyte its PFG!! You're still around??

I'd forgotten about the non-candle whipping in Simon's Quest. However I also remember Simon's Quest getting alot of flack otherwise....

No Candle Whipping = Game Automatically will Fail?

(Please note I'm obviously joking before the pitchforks come out....though it is true that alot of people hated on SQ)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:19 PM »
I'd forgotten about the non-candle whipping in Simon's Quest. However I also remember Simon's Quest getting alot of flack otherwise....

For me, Simon's Quest was always the weakest of the original trio, and it hasn't aged very well at all. However, it is the game with the best atmosphere and soundtrack IMO, and the potential to remake it is enormous. It's a very interesting game on paper. The exclusion of candles to whip in SQ was no problem for me - it's the overall game design that bothers me.
Candles or no candles - LoS can go either way. I still have faith cause I like what I've seen, but I need more screenshots damnit  ???

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
For me, Simon's Quest was always the weakest of the original trio, and it hasn't aged very well at all. However, it is the game with the best atmosphere and soundtrack IMO, and the potential to remake it is enormous. It's a very interesting game on paper. The exclusion of candles to whip in SQ was no problem for me - it's the overall game design that bothers me.
Candles or no candles - LoS can go either way. I still have faith cause I like what I've seen, but I need more screenshots damnit  ???

I agree.

And yes we do need more screenshots and info.

Offline harlequ1n

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 08:42:34 AM »
SotN looked amazing back then and still looks sweet :)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 08:53:27 AM »
What a retrospective thread.
I think we'll all walk away from this as better people.

Tags: