Poll

What game in the Castlevania franchise is the worst?

Castlevania
0 (0%)
Simon's Quest
3 (2.7%)
The Castlevania Adventure
17 (15.3%)
Dracula's Curse
0 (0%)
Super Castlevania IV
1 (0.9%)
Belmont's Revenge
1 (0.9%)
Rondo of Blood
1 (0.9%)
Bloodlines
0 (0%)
Dracula X
1 (0.9%)
Symphony of the Night
5 (4.5%)
Legends
11 (9.9%)
Castlevania 64
14 (12.6%)
Legacy of Darkness
3 (2.7%)
Chronicles
0 (0%)
Circle of the Moon
4 (3.6%)
Harmony of Dissonance
5 (4.5%)
Aria of Sorrow
0 (0%)
Lament of Innocence
3 (2.7%)
Dawn of Sorrow
2 (1.8%)
Curse of Darkness
19 (17.1%)
Portrait of Ruin
4 (3.6%)
Dracula X Rondo of Blood Remake
2 (1.8%)
Order of Ecclesia
3 (2.7%)
The Adventure Rebirth
0 (0%)
Order of Shadows
12 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Worst Game in Series  (Read 52414 times)

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Worst Game in Series
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2010, 05:27:53 PM »
It features Simon Belmont, even including his original sprite. That alone is enough to call it Castlevania.

An in/game sentence about Simon or Christopher means nothing. The game is very easy, made for children only, with a merchant who is decreasing the game difficulty even more, it has worse musics and themes than original NES made 16 years sooner (!!!!), it has a poor and predictable storyline, it has a Belmont who looks like a vampire (Alucard copycat just to make the game better sales), copycat SOTN system with both stupid castles, copycat SOTN system with teleports and save room which are refilling all the Character's health, etc etc...

Dracula is looking a stupid monster and there is no replay value at all in this boring game. Controls are not too-good as dashing doesn't mean longer jumps for example, really a bad Castlevania.

But the graphics are pretty cool...that's all really.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »
If we're talking about the worst game, I would give it to Haunted Castle. The controls are clunky, the graphics are garish, and the difficulty has an arcade coin-gobbling mentality. But despite that, it's still great. The environments, while poorly drawn, have a richness to them. You can see an actual effort to create this stark atmosphere from the bizarre gory enemies, cackling spirits, and building that shoots out bricks or something. There's a number of gimmicks from rain to fog. The game is full of neat ideas. And on a major plus, the soundtrack is just beautiful. It was also a great reminder of the uncertain youth the series was back then. Simon sported a myriad of weapons and he had a love interest. The game is just impeccably bizarre and a treat to explore despite its technical flaws.

also why is innovator implying that the nes games have horrible music just because they are old
harmony of dissonance would not work with "real-sounding" instruments. hokkai utilized these sounds on purpose to create a strange contrast with the imaginatively complex structure of the songs. While seeming technically inferior with its instruments, the compositions had a number of techniques used that have rarely been used to great effect in any other soundtrack even outside of castlevania. it was an intentional and eclectic mix.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:39:09 PM by thernz »

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2010, 05:33:11 PM »
i am editting this post to be of use please be paitent.

No prob dude. I have to leave my house for now, I'll read it when I'll come back.

:D

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
Quote from: Innovator
An in/game sentence about Simon or Christopher means nothing. The game is very easy, made for children only, with a merchant who is decreasing the game difficulty even more, it has worse musics and themes than original NES made 16 years sooner (!!!!), it has a poor and predictable storyline, it has a Belmont who looks like a vampire (Alucard copycat just to make the game better sales), copycat SOTN system with both stupid castles, copycat SOTN system with teleports and save room which are refilling all the Character's health, etc etc...

Dracula is looking a stupid monster and there is no replay value at all in this boring game. Controls are not too-good as dashing doesn't mean longer jumps for example, really a bad Castlevania.

But the graphics are pretty cool...that's all really.

If you knew anything you'd know Simon is a PLAYABLE CHARACTER. Chris is referenced in the Japanese version.

The way you complain about HoD makes YOU seem like a little kid. Geez..

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »
I do love some Boss Rush with Grandpappy Simon and his three-frame walk! :3
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »
I personally couldn't think about Haunted Castle as a bad game.
Well, it's nearly unplayable in later levels. And there is idiotic decision to give player only three lives or one live with big lifebar.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »
Someone marked Symphony of the Night? Seriously?  :-\

Everything comes full circle

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »
Perhaps Symphony of the Night was a gift AND a curse...

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »
I wouldn't really fault the game for what's happened. That's just silly.
This game is great, but because of it, a bunch of awful games came out, therefore it is awful.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
I find it funny that two of the games that I liked most are 2nd and 3rd place on this poll  ;D

Offline TheForthcoming01

• The Last Hero of youtube
  • Hunter in Training
  • The Forthcoming has arrived...
    • Rob's mysterious world
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2010, 11:45:24 PM »
I am new to the series but imo the worst game would probably be
C64, Cotm or Castlevania II (See AVGN and his review of Simon's Quest below)

CASTLEVANIA 2: SIMON's QUEST by the Angry Nintendo Nerd - Cinemassacre.com
Rob K.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2010, 08:08:50 PM »
TheForthcoming01, no offense, but basing your opinion on the video by guy who purposely mocks games and exagerate all their shortcomings is not a good idea.
As for your list CV2, CV64 and COTM amongst my favorite games in the series. And I consider them to be one of the best throughout the series.

Offline Artanis

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
I am new to the series but imo the worst game would probably be
C64, Cotm or Castlevania II (See AVGN and his review of Simon's Quest below)

CASTLEVANIA 2: SIMON's QUEST by the Angry Nintendo Nerd - Cinemassacre.com

Here's more AVGN coverage of Simon's Quest: Angry Video Game Nerd: Castlevania Part II - ScrewAttack

He's spot on about this game's flaws.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
I really like the reviews that The Angry Video Game Nerd does. He doesn't dick around and he goes straight for the gusto. He's not afraid to voice his opinion about the game/movie/console that's he's reviewing. Also his sense of humor and movie-esque gags make it all the more enjoyable to watch. There were some game that I like that he pissed about but it was done in such a way that I didn't mind at all. I hope he does more.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2010, 02:38:07 AM »
If we're talking about the worst game, I would give it to Haunted Castle. The controls are clunky, the graphics are garish, and the difficulty has an arcade coin-gobbling mentality. But despite that, it's still great. The environments, while poorly drawn, have a richness to them. You can see an actual effort to create this stark atmosphere from the bizarre gory enemies, cackling spirits, and building that shoots out bricks or something. There's a number of gimmicks from rain to fog. The game is full of neat ideas. And on a major plus, the soundtrack is just beautiful. It was also a great reminder of the uncertain youth the series was back then. Simon sported a myriad of weapons and he had a love interest. The game is just impeccably bizarre and a treat to explore despite its technical flaws.

Totally agree with all points made. The game had some arcade charm to it, and being such an oddity in the series definitely added to this. It's a game you can't put down out of sheer curiosity...you HAVE to see what the next stage/boss looks like.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:42:31 AM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags: