Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Future of Castlevania  (Read 22409 times)

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2010, 09:38:52 PM »
You would think that he would be wanting to do everything he could to reclaim the respect of all the fans of Castlevania. He has had so many good opportunities to really blow us away and every time he has missed the mark. Instead he keeps to the same basic formula adding some quarks here and there hoping that would suffice. I think if he wants to really capture the audiences attention he really needs to pull something good off. I'm sorry but HD doesnt cut it, he needs to redo everything and come up with some fresh ideas and build a 2d or 2.5d Castlevania from scratch instead of being captain repeatable.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »
You know what I think?
I think that he cannot help himself.

You know, in the "Off Topic" forum, there's a thread called "Japan: It's just not funny anymore" and in there there's an excerpt about how in Japanese culture, when something is popular, then they just build around that one thing that was popular, and just milk the thing dry instead of innovating (I think it was based on the Chokokuro cafe, where there was a cafe that sold hot chocolate and croissants, and just those two items would do well in the cafe... so then they started to just sell those two things, and then renamed themselves Chokokuro, as in Choco=Chocolate Kuro=Kurossant, which is Croissant).

Perhaps IGA is just attaching stuff to what he thinks is a 'tried and true' concept... except that we get sick of the damn thing after enough permutations of the same thing and he doesn't get it.

So yeah like I said, maybe it's a cultural thing... so it's probably good that the new game is being made in Spain where such a culture is not mainstream.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2010, 10:10:46 PM »
You know what I think?

You know, in the "Off Topic" forum, there's a thread called "Japan: It's just not funny anymore" and in there there's an excerpt about how in Japanese culture, when something is popular, then they just build around that one thing that was popular, and just milk the thing dry instead of innovating (I think it was based on the Chokokuro cafe, where there was a cafe that sold hot chocolate and croissants, and just those two items would do well in the cafe... so then they started to just sell those two things, and then renamed themselves Chokokuro, as in Choco=Chocolate Kuro=Kurossant, which is Croissant).

Perhaps IGA is just attaching stuff to what he thinks is a 'tried and true' concept... except that we get sick of the damn thing after enough permutations of the same thing and he doesn't get it.

So yeah like I said, maybe it's a cultural thing... so it's probably good that the new game is being made in Spain where such a culture is not mainstream.

I can agree with that.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
Good phelosephy there George. But I sencerly hope for us fans that it's not the case. I do not want my favoret franchise to be raped in that way. Maybe we all should put in some kind of petition to Konami stating our concerns about the series and (maybe) it's inevitable demise should IGA not evolve his way of thinking. After all, we're the fans! We play the games! We should be the ones who decide the fate of our favoret games and who makes them! If said person fails to deliver to the fans the they dismiss him/her and find someone else.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
Well, I don't know about IGA wanting to just produce the same things over and over again. It's just that whenever he does try to do something different, it falls completely on its face, i.e, LoI, Judgment, and Despair.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »

Yeah, I gotta say... IGA is at his very best when he's doing the same thing over and over and over. Because he clearly only knows how to do one thing properly (His Metroidvanias are still top notch, but the formula is wearing thin). Whenever he tries something new, it fails. Harmony of Despair however is "something new" but in old clothes. That must be the worst thing ever. At least Judgment looked like a new game.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 12:29:41 PM »
+1
We should be the ones who decide the fate of our favoret games and who makes them! If said person fails to deliver to the fans the they dismiss him/her and find someone else.
Sadly, fans decide almost nothing. Sold copies of the game decide everything.
And petitions do nothing, usually.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »
You'll never make a difference with that attitude!

If you really want their attention, go and get yourself one of those petitions going, and then, now here's the important part so pay attention, a call list. Hammer their phone lines with requests/complaints. Almost worked for getting Mother 3 released here. If only they kept at it another week, Nintendo would have folded.

Offline eTom

• Awards
Re: Future of Castlevania
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd honestly like to see both the 3D and 2D games continue to be made.  The 2D games are still my favorites, with SoTN at the top of the list (of course.)

That being said, sometimes a 3D button masher can be fun from time to time.  There was one for the original Xbox I played that was a lot of fun, if not mindless.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010, 01:22:04 PM »
eTom, I'm with you. I don't think there's any reason there shouldn't be both 2D AND 3D CV games.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
You know what I think?

That's absurd. How do you describe a Japanese company like Nintendo? Japan is one of, if not the, most innovative countries in the world.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nb20070517a1.html

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2010, 10:44:33 AM »
Nintendo did not make castlevania, the Konami Co. did.

-X
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Future of Castlevania
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »

That's absurd. How do you describe a Japanese company like Nintendo? Japan is one of, if not the, most innovative countries in the world.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nb20070517a1.html

I was just about to say the same thing.

Quote from: shorty
Nintendo did not make castlevania, the Konami Co. did.

Wow, way to let the point fly clear over your head bucko! The obvious point is that the whole 'run-it-into-the-ground-culture" thing doesn't exactly fly when there's other Japanese gamemakers that are going above and beyond in terms of creativity. It's just baseless jabbering.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 11:58:52 PM »
Wow, way to let the point fly clear over your head bucko! The obvious point is that the whole 'run-it-into-the-ground-culture" thing doesn't exactly fly when there's other Japanese gamemakers that are going above and beyond in terms of creativity. It's just baseless jabbering.

I misinterpeted the last sentence when I replied, so I apologize.  :-[

-X

Tags:

anything