Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania is lacking real men nowadays.  (Read 16596 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: Castlevania is lacking real men nowadays.
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 01:45:03 AM »
But he never lifts his feet when walking. The giant weapons in AoS and DoS were pretty terrible though.

At least in DoS Soma swung 2 handed weapons with, well, 2 hands.

I mean, good grief, Soma looked ridiculous swinging the death sickle in AoS.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »
The Captain N Simon actually did not look bad.  He just needed a bandanna instead of those goofy goggles, and a leather/red jacket instead of a blue one.  Otherwise he does resemble CV2 Simon.

Except for the "I'm so great-looking" attitude... but then again, if every other townsperson starts telling you that, you'd probably start believing it.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »
In my view, the greatest asset for Castlevania was the different team working on all old titles. Each time, we had a new representation for Castlevania heroes :
- barbarian (Castlevania)
- warrior (The Adventure or Super Castlevania IV)
- noble (Simon's Quest)
- manga heroes (Chi no Rondo and COTM)
etc etc....

I love all these representations and pics. Each time, we've got a new design for the Arts and chara design. Long hair / Short Hair / Fair hair / Black and brown hair / Muscles / Old warriors (Densetsu II)Rookie warriors (Akumajo Dracula XX)... But since Igarashi team and Kojima work, it's always the same, pale skin and blond hair ! Wa can like her pics or dislike them. You guess my point. But the fact is that Hector, Juste, Soma, Graham etc etc.... are just heroes which have nothing to do with warriors representation.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »
But the fact is that Hector, Juste, Soma, Graham etc etc.... are just heroes which have nothing to do with warriors representation.

I'm guessing that your point here is that the protagonist in Castlevania should always be a warrior type of hero? Hmmm.
I think everyone felt that the romantic artwork of Symphony of the Night was a fantastic new step for Castlevania, and one that suited the franchise EXTREMELY well. I also think that Juste could've been one of the best heroes in Castlevanian history, based on his fantastic artwork. The actual sprite however did not do the artwork justice.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »
I'm guessing that your point here is that the protagonist in Castlevania should always be a warrior type of hero? Hmmm.
I think everyone felt that the romantic artwork of Symphony of the Night was a fantastic new step for Castlevania, and one that suited the franchise EXTREMELY well. I also think that Juste could've been one of the best heroes in Castlevanian history, based on his fantastic artwork. The actual sprite however did not do the artwork justice.

I don't quite think that's what he's saying, but a character who has been bred from birth to slay vampires or a character who is one of Dracula's forge masters should have a bit more of a warrior's bearing to balance out the nobility aspect. The clothing works pretty well, but you'd also think someone who KNEW they were going to be fighting demons wouldn't be wearing the same clothes he'd wear to a ball.

As for Soma, I think I'd have liked him better if he hadn't gone from ignorant schoolkid to badass demon slayer in 5 minutes. I know Castlevania has never been too much about character development, but the fact that he just kind of walked into Dracula's castle and started ripping zombies apart kind of irked me.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 05:51:51 PM »
I don't quite think that's what he's saying, but a character who has been bred from birth to slay vampires or a character who is one of Dracula's forge masters should have a bit more of a warrior's bearing to balance out the nobility aspect. The clothing works pretty well, but you'd also think someone who KNEW they were going to be fighting demons wouldn't be wearing the same clothes he'd wear to a ball.

As for Soma, I think I'd have liked him better if he hadn't gone from ignorant schoolkid to badass demon slayer in 5 minutes. I know Castlevania has never been too much about character development, but the fact that he just kind of walked into Dracula's castle and started ripping zombies apart kind of irked me.

First of all, I think what some people are saying is that they see vampire hunters as warriors who rely purely on brute strength.  And, that was true at first.  The reason now that I think that the characters don't seem to be as buff is at least one of the following:
1) Their clothing hides their muscles
2) They aren't purely warriors anymore.  They are a hybrid of warrior and mage.

As for Soma in AoS, that annoyed my too.  Then again, the argument could be made that his power and survival instincts were responsible.  After all, if you remember, when Soma first meets Yoko, he states that he felt he was losing sense of himself.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »
I think if anyone aquires a sort of power for the first time in their life, will start to question themselves. I know I would. It's like crossing the fine line of you 'current self' and the 'alien self'. But once you get use to it and accept it then the line blurs and the two seperret aspects of the 'self' merge.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »
Under that fur coat is a bountiful of rippling muscles.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 02:07:52 AM »
The secret reason why Mina prefered Soma over Arikado.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 03:34:50 AM »

Soma is even skinnier than me.

However, looking at people like Juste, he looks reasonably fit, but his sleeves are too puffy to really tell.

Offline ReinhardtSchneider

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 06:43:47 AM »
Harmony of Dissonance was also the first one I played, and I loved it.  Juste is so badass.  All the Belmonts were badass.  Jonathan doesn't bother me, however.  Not a fan of Soma though. Though I have yet to play Dawn of Sorrow. Order of Ecclesia was amazing, probably one of my favorites.  Anyway, Gabriel looks really badass and I'm looking forward to it.

Tags:

anything