Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: RUMOR: Castlevania 3DS made by MERCURYSTEAM  (Read 51236 times)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: RUMOR: Castlevania 3DS made by MERCURYSTEAM
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2010, 07:19:09 PM »
Well, that's what it basically was, and intended to be. I wish we had their sprite artists working on Castlevania though. ; - ;

opinion quip: also sotn looks better than secret of mana and super meat boy
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:21:15 PM by thernz »

Joachim

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
Oh I can guarantee you it was. Before Secret of Mana nothing like that was ever done in RPG land, not only the scale, magnitude and vibrancy of the graphics and size of the sprites + all other aspects
but none of those have anything to do with the actual quality of the graphics. vibrancy, scale, magnitude are nothing more than aspects or features irrelevant of the quality, intrinsic in the conception of the thing but ultimately possessing no bearing on its execution.

SoM came before FFVI, Chrono, SSFII, Metroid, DKC etc... and many other games who really tested the SNES capacity in 1994.
Flashback was released on the SNES the same year and has better graphics. its characters are simplistic, but that helps to differentiate them between the background and also results in them being incredibly well animated.

Even Super Castlevania IV's graphics are better; its sprites are often odd and awkward, but the backgrounds themselves are fantastic. the color usage and shading is infinitely more interesting than the often gaudy and poorly constructed graphics of Secret of Mana. The primary fault of the graphics in SoM can be traced to its color usage, shading and composition; the colors themselves are barebones and uninspired - dull and eastery but without any of that charm. further, it takes with it a lack of contrast, with results in a lot of issues with the composition. things bleed together and look jarring when there is really no excuse for them to do so.

And why does it supposedly being impressive for the time matter when the issue was originally a matter of retrospective?

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2010, 02:23:35 AM »
Well, "fresh" was maybe the wrong word here, but the game felt new even though it's so faithful to the oldschool Contras. Maybe it was because Contra hasn't quite been itself since 1994 so it felt great to finally go back to the roots. I honestly dunno where you'd draw the line between a game that is faithful to its roots, and a game that is "a bunch of parts from previous contra titles". Contra is Contra. Of course WayForward could've thrown everything Contra out the window and created something totally different, but they decided not to. For me, it felt like a TRUE sequel to the Contra games I grew up with, not a rehash. It's definitely not quite as over-the-top as Hard Corps, but is more like a sequel to Contra III. The double screen didn't feel gimmicky but actually added to the gameplay. So Contra 4 was a fresh breath of air for me, in all its oldschoolness.

Not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, but I actually agree with Viper on his statement of the game felt more like a bunch of parts from previous Contra games.  The first few levels felt like loose remakes from Contra 1 and 2 despite the new abilities.  I wanted something new yet at the same time faithful to the old games.  The Rebirth was close, but it is way too short.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
Heey guys...
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://dswii.es/34171/rumor-mercurysteam-ya-trabaja-en-nintendo-3ds/

It could be the new Contra though (and that would be awesome so they won't take too much time away from CV)

Or what do you think about a Mercury-Igarashi collaboration?? O.o
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:14:20 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Cox won't stop until he's re-made all of Konami's franchises in his image!

@MercurySteam: i hope you're not considering sticking with the "shaky" camera effect
in before the flood of comments "I didn't have a problem with the camera"

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
The million dollar question is will it be 2D (with a 3D gimmick tossed in for good measure), or a 3D game?

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2011, 02:51:26 PM »
So wait, Iga and MS are working on it together?

Holy shit.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »
Cox won't stop until he's re-made all of Konami's franchises in his image!

@MercurySteam: i hope you're not considering sticking with the "shaky" camera effect
in before the flood of comments "I didn't have a problem with the camera"
The effect was right SOMETIMEs, for example, when the camera zooms out Carmilla's Castle's stairs and iot's a really windy night, it works perfectly. It's somewhat distracting in Pan's temple though.

On-Topic: It's not sure if it's a Cv, it could well be the much promised Contra Reboot.. or not

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
On-Topic: It's not sure if it's a Cv, it could well be the much promised Contra Reboot.. or not
Why would Iga be working on a Contra title?

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »
The article doesn't state they ARE working with IGA, it's just that they COULD be working with IGA, or making a 2nd 3DS castlevania with Cox OR Making the long promised Cox-Reboot of Contra :P

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2011, 03:28:31 PM »
Any future MS vania should have a past vania producer as an advisor. I'd be down for a MS/IGA game.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
3DS game: Hodespair with a Clive Barker touch.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
Eh... After LoS, I'm not too excited for stuff from MS. I don't want a Contra with QTEs, a needlessly melodramatic/unoriginal plot, and systems ripped from other games that do them better.

But money talks, and I'm sure Konami will want them making more games. All I ask is that they listen to criticism and don't just discount critics as people who "don't get it" like Cox did with the one early LoS 7.something review (which isn't even that bad a score!).

Now, if MS's rumored 3DS project is a 2.5D old-styled Castlevania, that I'd be all over. (Provided, as I'm sure I've made abundantly clear in pretty much every post I make, there are no goddamn QTEs.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:30:20 PM by Munchy »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »
I hate this topic......

everytime I see it outside of the forum, it says Rumor: Castlevania 3.... and I keep thinking a cv 3 related thing is going on.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »

He helped with Contra Rebirth.

Tags: