Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Another fangame-Adagio of Decay  (Read 10852 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »
they have those Demon crest backgrounds at the spriter's resource. They are very impressive to look at.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 06:00:43 AM »
This is quite true. But I use ZSNES's wonderful layer-removal and screenshot functions to get them.
Very nice demo. The only detail that doesn't seem right is that the flame whip power-up doesn't last all that long like it does in the other games. To me it's like ReBirth rather then Adventure, Belmonts revenge or even Legends.

Yup. That's what I'm doing. The thing's too overpowered to have for potentially the entire game. Leather whip has a damage variable of 1, the morning star has 2, and the flame whip has 3 for the whip itself and another 2 for the fireball. So overall, the flame whip has a damage variable of 5. Way too strong to be permanent.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 11:57:22 AM »
And what's wrong with that? He's a Belmont. He's supposed to be powered to the max in order to kick Drac's @$$. But you know, you could stick in difficulty settings; Say easy mode lets you keep the upgrade while in normal mode it has the aforementioned time limitation. And hard mode you don't get the upgrade at all. Food for thought  :)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
Can't believe I'm saying this but, that's pretty good. You've come a long way from last year.

Here's some things to improve on:
The backgrounds are a mish mash of different games. I know most people don't do their own backgrounds since it takes work, but it really does stunt the coolness.

Selective highlighting fiasco with the backgrounds; What is selective lighting? Highlighting things to bring the player's attention and infer interactivity types. Example: the floor is highlighted brighter than things you can't stand on. This gives the player a natural visual indicator of "you can land on this". The tops of the gravestones/coffins/whatever in the background that you can stand on, are not highlighted and dont look like you can stand on them. While there is sloped ground you CAN'T stand on in the background, that has the SAME highlight as the dirt background you CAN stand on. Keeping this consistent is the key for fluid and intuitive level design. If you don't fix it, the player will pause to think "can I actually land here or not? Should I risk it?" at times which breaks the flow and confuses the player where he/she should not be confused.

Other than that the mixed sprite styles, but given that Adventure ReBirth reused GBA sprites I can let it go since you're using Chris.

Things I'd like to see:
Dropping off of, and landing onto stairs. CV4 style.

And hard mode you don't get the upgrade at all.

NO. Removing functionality like that only serves to drag things out and create a more tedious experience.

If you want good difficulty, reduce lags between actions of the AI, speed up some enemies, etc. But never remove a basic function like that completely.

I'm personally in favor of keeping the fire balls until you get hit once.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:58:00 PM by uzo »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 09:41:10 PM »
Yeah for difficulty I would aim for different enemy placement or different new enemy patterns, rather than something cheap like stunting a player's own ability and moveset. Plus, yeah your stuff's looking more polished and polished. There still seems to be some irks in level design with those spawning zombies, but it's a lot better than your older stuff.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 09:33:43 AM »
Quote from: uzo
Things I'd like to see:
Dropping off of, and landing onto stairs. CV4 style.

I've been trying to do this for a while. It's coming along rather slowly, but it is coming along.

Selective highlighting fiasco with the backgrounds

Thanks for this, I'll get right on fixing it.

NO. Removing functionality like that only serves to drag things out and create a more tedious experience.

If you want good difficulty, reduce lags between actions of the AI, speed up some enemies, etc. But never remove a basic function like that completely.

This is exactly what the difficulty settings are coded to do. The difficulty variables change the speed and "rate-of-fire" variables in the enemies.

The flame whip is staying as-is. I think it'd be unfair to keep it for near-limitless time. Think about it. Whip at an enemy, normal or boss, it doesn't matter, with just the tip of the whip hitting the enemy, you're hitting them twice for three to five damage per hit. That's anywhere from six to ten hits of damage in one attack. It's cheap and easily spammable if a set distance is kept. It eliminates any chance of a challenge, since all you really have to do is hit the boss three or four times and they're dead.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 07:01:06 PM »
Very impressive work seeing how it's only the beginning of the project! The only thing I can suggest is to add seperate parallex to more scenes in background.

yeah Game Maker and Construct would both be considered really easy if compared relatively to other game development tools so I would go with those if you're interested.

Wish I knew about Construct before me an my partner shelled out 80 bucks (student discount) for our full copies of Multimedia Fusion 2 to make our game with! lol

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=3623.0

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 06:30:46 AM »
It isn't the beginning of the project, I've had this going on and off for about two years or so.  :)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »
That's cause Demon's Crest's graphics fit CV so well, it was the closest thing Capcom ever made to a CV title.
"Stuff and things."

Tags: