Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Quest Revamped version 1.1  (Read 174550 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #285 on: May 02, 2012, 05:15:03 PM »
I see that in a lot of GameMaker games; the whole " objects 'fall' unto the stage " deallyo.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #286 on: May 03, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
That's usually the result of changing the origin for the object's sprite and then forgetting to reposition the objects in the level correctly. It's not a GameMaker bug.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #287 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »
it can also be badly programmed collision checking in gm too

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
Only if the floor collision is custom or configured incorrectly.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #289 on: May 12, 2012, 01:28:25 PM »
I was able to get to Castlevania, but that's when it gets too hard:
-The ghosts in the castle take WAAY to many hits
-The ghosts can hurt you if they haven't appeared yet
-The ghosts spawn RIGHT ON YOU
-Too many ghosts accumulate in small areas
I can't make it to Dracula with more than half of my health. Also, I can't find any possible way of dodging Dracula or his attacks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:31:06 PM by ronny14 »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2012, 01:13:22 AM »
Something I did for this game (in fact the idea came from that CV3 remake that has also been posted here) was using Joy to Key. JtK, while it's active, allows you to fool your PC into registering a controller's input as keyboard input, so games that don't normally support a gamepad can under JtK. JtK has worked without a problem for me, and it's poetic since I own retro USB NES and SNES PC controllers, and playing fan remakes on my PC with retro NES/SNES controllers feels just so right.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2012, 05:39:44 AM »
Hopefully you're playing the True Simon Belmont Edition.
Link to Simon's Quest Revamped - True Simon Edition
Now with Simon Belmont instead a Red Richter.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2012, 08:03:37 AM »

Can anyone please post some pictures or video of the new simon?

I've been keeping a eye out for this since the old topic and I have yet to see even 1 person provide a picture of the hack including Simon Belmont instead of a red Richter.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »

Yes indeed that's the version I'm playing!! And thanks for making sure I knew Jorge! I didn't want to make a thread just for that, and I noticed this thread wasn't too old to be considered a necro-bump either.

EDIT: Btw, you asked what Simon looks like, and here's Metroid's youtube vignette for the TSE (True Simon Edition) that first got my attention:
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest Revamped TSE is here (PC and Mac)

In fact, here are the retro controllers I own http://www.amazon.com/Classic-USB-NES-Controller-PC/dp/B002YVD3KM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342674910&sr=8-2&keywords=retro+NES+USB+controller

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Retrolink-Super-Classic-Controller-NES/dp/B002824SNS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342674910&sr=8-4&keywords=retro+NES+USB+controller
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:31:02 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: July 21, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »
Fixed your youtube link so that it's embedded in the forum (you just write the link: the forum does the rest fyi).
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #295 on: July 21, 2012, 02:39:08 PM »
Well after seeing the video I immediately felt compelled to download it.

So far its been great, but I did run into a couple glitches that pissed me off, 1 of which was the "crouching glitch" that if you crouch on the moving platform in the cave area you will be stuck and have to start all over lol.

Other than the minor bugs, its great, just wish this simon had white gloves instead of purple.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #296 on: July 21, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »
Well after seeing the video I immediately felt compelled to download it.

So far its been great, but I did run into a couple glitches that pissed me off, 1 of which was the "crouching glitch" that if you crouch on the moving platform in the cave area you will be stuck and have to start all over lol.

I had that shit happen after I beat Death and was crouching on the ferryman's boat--in a nutshell DON'T do that. Screen loaded, and I got embedded into the boat, which promptly froze, and promptly had no enemies to dislodge me. Needless to say, I had restart and kill Death AGAIN which was very frustrating. Other than that glitch, just a few minor things and the game has worked fine. In fact, I beat it about 4AM today.

And by the way, thanks for embedding that link for me Jorge. I try my best to read the forum rules and make sure I don't step on anyone toes, admins' especially, with violations of the rules. But sometimes I miss stuff like being it being ok to embed.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: July 21, 2012, 08:22:48 PM »
This is a youtube-friendly board.  That is, you just put in the Youtube url and the forum will auto-embed.
There are limits on how man Youtube links you can embed per post, as well as how many links can be on the entire page by everyone.

You're not stepping on my toes.  I am glad to help.  Plus that's my Simon Belmont sprite so I'm helping myself shamelessly pimp it to people by fixing your link embed.

I pitched a number of palettes to MetroidQuest.  He chose that one.  I had alternate palettes in the Spritework Showcase thread with various cool color setups.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: July 21, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Wow that Simon sprite is fucking amazing. I had me, my brother, and my best friend studying it to see if it was custom-created or just kinda rotoscoped/palette swapped from another sprite. I can see a just a few tiny glimmers of Richter in there, but for the most part as far as we could tell it was original. My imaginary hat off to you, Jorge.

And thanks for some of the updates on youtube and other stuff. I've been part of other forums, and some of those were extremely tyrannical while others were completely lawless, so I wasn't quite sure how to proceed here other than looking by example and reading the forum rules you did have posted.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: July 22, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »
Wow that Simon sprite is fucking amazing. I had me, my brother, and my best friend studying it to see if it was custom-created or just kinda rotoscoped/palette swapped from another sprite. I can see a just a few tiny glimmers of Richter in there, but for the most part as far as we could tell it was original.

Actuallt I think Jorge based Simon of his CV X68000 counterpart as the posture seems to indicate as such.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: