Absolutely!  Sepcial Edition Please.
10 (22.7%)
Yes, indeed I will.
18 (40.9%)
I have serious doubts...
10 (22.7%)
Absolutely NOT!  Castlevania is dead.
3 (6.8%)
I don't know.  My mind was recently violated by a Dark Priest.
3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LoS has locked a sequel, but WILL YOU BUY IT?  (Read 22914 times)

Offline Mr.Bushido

• Vampire Hunter
  • I'm the insect woman
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: LoS has locked a sequel, but WILL YOU BUY IT?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »
Well, being fair, I think the most important thing to improve is to make the game actually feels like an entirely Castlevania game, with all the style, atmosphere and music(this is really important) if they do that, we can deal with the gameplay.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »
Well, being fair, I think the most important thing to improve is to make the game actually feels like an entirely Castlevania game, with all the style, atmosphere and music(this is really important) if they do that, we can deal with the gameplay.

Exactly, like I said before LoS had a rocky development cycle and people at Konami/Mercurysteam were unsure if it was gonna be a Castlevania game or a new IP.

Now that LoS has built the foundation, the next game could be a Castlevania game from the ground up, without no fears.

Think about it, why did the epilouge(before the final two minutes) look like  a Castlevania game than the entire game?

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 05:19:11 PM »
I'm really pissed at the deceptive marketing, outright lies, and other bullshit they pulled for the first one. I might boycott it out right just based on that to be honest. Perhaps I'll play it by other means, but I don't think I'll be BUYING it and I even got the collectors this last time.

I'm not challenging you or anything, but what were some of the deceptions and outright lies that they said? I really hadn't been following Castlevania much since 2009, I was heavily into Metal Gear then. :X

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »
I'm really pissed at the deceptive marketing, outright lies, and other bullshit they pulled for the first one.

This was what really irritated me. So much of it felt like bait and switch. "I hate QTEs." Didn't stop you guys from filling the game to the fucking brim with them, did it MercurySteam? "The storyline will be deep and emotional." Um, with a few exceptions, it's like you jammed LoI and CoD's plots together and hired better actors. There's hardly any character development outside of brooding, betrayal, and more brooding. "Why do people keep calling it a God of War clone? It's totally not!" Well, when you take the plot arc, the combat where only a few combos are of any use, and the lame and overwrought QTEs for every action you perform in the game, what do you think people are going to compare it with?

My primary worry is that since the first one sold well, they're just going to follow its lead to the letter and completely cater to non-Castlevania fans. If this is the case, I will skip it until I can find it for 10 bucks used.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
Only if it's a gigantic improvement over LoS.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
My predictions:

- The music will still be orchestral, while throwing in 2 or 3 remixes to "please older fans." And they will only play during specific moments (such as the "Music Box" sequence)
- Graphics will still be pretty as hell
- Wall shimmying/plank walking will still be present, but to a much lesser degree
- Gabriel will still be Dracula
- QTEs will also prolly still be there, but "reworked" so they'll function differently than it's predecessor
- Added subweapons (Axe, Cross, etc.)

This is a reboot so I'm not expecting LoS-2 to be much more CV-like than what LoS tried to be. There's going to be a lot of fluff, & shameless name-dropping just like the first, so I'm expecting just that. I'm not expecting to see classic Bone Pillars, classic Medusa Heads or Fleamen because MS was tasked to create different, "brand-new" monsters instead, and they will continue to do so. Stuff we love from the classic series will be relegated to either cameos or drastic reimaginings, just like Slogra's appearance in the epilogue.

So will I still buy it? Sure, because at the end of the day it's still an action game and I like those.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »
This was what really irritated me. So much of it felt like bait and switch. "I hate QTEs." Didn't stop you guys from filling the game to the fucking brim with them, did it MercurySteam? "The storyline will be deep and emotional." Um, with a few exceptions, it's like you jammed LoI and CoD's plots together and hired better actors. There's hardly any character development outside of brooding, betrayal, and more brooding. "Why do people keep calling it a God of War clone? It's totally not!" Well, when you take the plot arc, the combat where only a few combos are of any use, and the lame and overwrought QTEs for every action you perform in the game, what do you think people are going to compare it with?

My primary worry is that since the first one sold well, they're just going to follow its lead to the letter and completely cater to non-Castlevania fans. If this is the case, I will skip it until I can find it for 10 bucks used.

You also forgot in one trailer they added the copy paste audio of Satan's lines over a gothic castle camera pan with bats flying around. "Hey check out Dracula's lines, just kidding we're completely misleading you for your money."

That castle segment wasn't even in the game. It was also void of snow and such as well, as it was raining instead. What a fucking cock tease and total let down. It's that scene that got me hyped the most too. Fuck you MercurySteam, you liars.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »
I'm not challenging you or anything, but what were some of the deceptions and outright lies that they said? I really hadn't been following Castlevania much since 2009, I was heavily into Metal Gear then. :X

While it's not directed at me, I shall fill this in to the best of my ability, so lets start from the very beginning:

1. In early 2008, a new IP called Lords of Shadow is shown, many people thought it was a Castlevania game right off the bat. in a interview with Dave Cox, he said that "We at Konami is tired of making the same games over and over, so we created the new IP Lords of Shadow, a dark fairy tale." The game disappears untill the coming weeks of E3 09.

2. After a full year, Lords of Shadow resurfaces once again at E3 but this time it has been re branded as "Castlevania Lords of Shadow." Dave Cox comes out to say this is a reboot(or alternate continuity) to Castlevania, and then said the imfamous words " Forget everything you knew about Castlevania." Many people saw this as a slap in the face(IGA's face in particular)

3. later in the fall after months of silence, Cox  said in an interview wih GT that "This game will not have QTE's, I hate QTE's." and "LoS will have many familiar themes orchestrated"

4. One year later and the game is finally shown, and no familiar themes were heard, OTE's were almost everywhere and the presence of Dracula(or anyother Castlevania element) were nowhere to be found. Fans felt lead on and betrayed by Cox's words.

5. Game is finally released and many people love it, and many people hate it for it's "lack of Castlevania feel."

6.. Cox say's that The DLC reverie is coming out in Febuary, It was released in March, on PSN only. The DLC Resurrection will be released in April, we're nearing the end of May and they just finished it.

There is probably more out there but this is all that I can think of from the top of the dome. whatever his intentions, Cox seem's to swirl around the truth about this game as well as it's plans for the future.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 08:02:04 PM »
You also forgot in one trailer they added the copy paste audio of Satan's lines over a gothic castle camera pan with bats flying around. "Hey check out Dracula's lines, just kidding we're completely misleading you for your money."

That castle segment wasn't even in the game. It was also void of snow and such as well, as it was raining instead. What a fucking cock tease and total let down. It's that scene that got me hyped the most too. Fuck you MercurySteam, you liars.

Oh yeah... Dammit I had almost forgotten. I was really looking forward to a Jason Isaacs-voiced Dracula too.

Hell, if the Castle belonged to Satan, I would've been fine with it! The back of the MSX Vampire Killer box keeps mentioning Dracula's Satanic Castle, and that would've been a great interpretation of that line. But NOOOO, we get fucking Mordor with space rocks instead.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »
Storywise?  Well I have plenty of thoughts on how this new continuity could work moving forward, but I don't work for MS.  Story has never been this series strong point (as many here have pointed out in the past), so I fail to understand how LoS' story made the game so unworthy to some people.  To me, if the action is compelling...then I'm in. 
Well twitter Cox with them. he has an account for a reason.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51:55 PM »
Loved LoS, so unless review are absolutely abysmal, DAY 1 purchase for me.

As much as I enjoyed LoS's music, like 99.9999999% of the CV fans across the planet, I'm really hoping for more classic remixed CV tunes, placed within more serious sections of the game (as in, not some single cameo in a music box).

Severely cutting down on the shimmying and plank walking would be really nice as well, as I pretty much hate it.

Lastly, while i didn't mind the QTE, I would've enjoyed them more if they were more interactive. Like giving the player the ability to use the analog stick along w/ the button presses (like when pulling something down with the combat cross, make the player pull the stick accordingly.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 12:06:54 AM »
I'd see not-so-classic tunes arranged (I mean no "Bloody Tears", "Beginning" or "Vampire Killer" for example, but tracks who better fit a more cinematic game).

I'd die to hear a full "Dance of Illusions" orchestral version in the sequel too.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 01:35:52 AM »
I'm not terribly hopeful for non-generic tracks, but I do hope at least there are stage-specific themes this time around. Even the PS2 Rygar had those, and that game is roughly ten years old by now.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 02:35:52 AM »
I'd like to say that I'd only buy it if they made it more Castlevania-like and catered to us longtime fans, but I'm a consumer zombie for this series and will thus pre-order the super-duper edition when the time comes.

I did really like LoS, though. But if it must deviate so far from the rest of the series in this next game too, then I hope it kind of comes into its own a little more. And as long as there's a really good reason for a Gabe Dracula, and for Satan being there at all, then I want to see it. A touch of morbid curiosity, maybe, but I digress.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 07:36:25 AM »
if anyone from mercurysteam reads in here, then you should listen to them and take some ideas about the soundtrack of LoS sequel.

Transylvania Overture
Ruler of Chaos

Tags: