Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: General Mega Man Discussion Thread  (Read 187535 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »

One instance of going backwards is ditching the animated cutscenes, as mentioned before. That, by itself, is not a deal breaker, but I'm going to use it as an example of the greater problem. When I popped in X5 ages ago and saw those still frames, I was like, "WTF!?!? Why would you do that!? Unless... you just weren't trying as hard and not putting as much into the games!?!?"

You do know it costs money to make animated cutscenes right? Especially back when they were all hand made like 8 and X4. (X3 only had them in the rerelease PSX edition, and they were minimalistic, so I dont really count those) They probably saw it wasnt worth it. I disliked the lack of cutscenes myself, but at least they were well drawn. Sensei really outdoes himself with his art in X4-6. Besides, X7 reintroduced partially animated cutscenes in game, with a still image, and the two character images that moved to express emotions. And then a full CG scene at the start and the end. Then X8 outright brought them back full force. Command mission is a different type of game though, so it just uses the in game models to act out scenes. But it did have a really cool scene at the very end.

The duck was stupid, near pointless, and didn't really need to be there. I don't think anyone was asking for it and it really didn't add much.
It wasnt insanely useful, but it was certainly a welcome Idea. It should always have been there. Go play X8. the lack of a duck is sorely missed.

- The armor sucked.

Are you fucking kidding me here? You MUST be off your rocker if you think an armor- the ONLY armor in the series mind you- that allowed complete free flight sucked. Gaia armor was terribly handicapped by it;s speed and lack of special weapons, but it certainly made up for it by having very strong attack power. And it was immune to spikes, as well as allowing you to stick to walls without sliding. X6 DID outdo it however, by introducing the Shadow armor, which was much more stage friendly, being not only immune to spikes and wall sliding, but being very mobile as well. Allowing for a super jump, and the ability to stick to ceilings. As well as the saber being a much better close range attack than the Gaia Armor's short range buster. It's giga attack was also much better than Gaia's.

And dont forget both games featured the Ultimate armor as well. X5 is the only game where you can get it legit without cheating.

- Having the option to play as X or Zero from stage to stage was a surprisingly bad idea. Or at least it wasn't handled well.
Dont know what you are talking about. it should have ALWAYS been like that. X4's split game was terrible, because then it creates a timeline split. Plus the whole idea is they are partners. the best of partners. they SHOULD be fighting together. not one stays at base while the other goes out, which is what X4 implies.

- Out of all the Mavericks, I felt only a few of them were cool ideas and had fun stages,

thing about X5's stages, is the at least 2 of them are based on X4 stages. My favorite stage was actually the Izzy Glow's laboratory. Had kickass music too.

- The music, while not bad, was disappointing. It just didn't live up to its legacy. 
really though, to each his own, but I wouldnt call the music Dull. I dont recall any soundtracks to be dull. In fact, the only one that was forgettable, was X8's.

And I beg to differ. X5 had a great soundtrack. all because it 'wasnt X4" doesnt mean it was bad. Izzy glow's stage had a kickass theme, so did Grizzly's, Sunhouse mountain's theme was cool, it really felt like a "heat" theme.
the repiforce air base theme was alright. catchy if anything. then theres the final stages. while the theme for the first 3 stages was somewhat repetitive, it was still nice music. calming almost. And the final stage theme itself was like, disco sigma shit. it was a remix of Quickmans theme.

- Dodging purple Sigma viruses? No thanks.
plot related gameplay gimmick. if X became infected, he steaily lost health. if Zero became infected, he became invincible for the duration.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:43:13 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline SenileSnake

• moron who becomes dracula
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: General Mega Man Discussion Thread
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »
X6 is an odd beast. It's rushed localization left it with loads of bad grammar and some poorly translated text, (the reunion scene in particular gives off the impression that Zero repaired himself, and X is an idiot and believes him, whereas the Japanese was more along the lines of Zero comparing his being alive to X's being alive. "So are you X, So are you." )

But at the same time, it also left us with the japanese voice overs, and the awesome opening/ending music. Neither of which we would have otherwise. (even X collection got rid of the voice overs)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »
X6 is an odd beast. It's rushed localization left it with loads of bad grammar and some poorly translated text, (the reunion scene in particular gives off the impression that Zero repaired himself, and X is an idiot and believes him, whereas the Japanese was more along the lines of Zero comparing his being alive to X's being alive. "So are you X, So are you." )

But at the same time, it also left us with the japanese voice overs, and the awesome opening/ending music. Neither of which we would have otherwise. (even X collection got rid of the voice overs)

X6 was incredibly frustrating. I didn't have much fun with it. The stages were not designed very well with some being incredibly short and others seeming to drag on forever. I questioned even having a life bar at times with so many 1 error deaths especially in Metal Shark Players stage and the post boss levels. I love MMX but 6 just felt unfinished. The magma guys level was nothing but fight after fight of that annoying cheap donut enemy for the most part. I don't even remember if I ever finished the game with X.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »
I think X6 was actually rushed itself. They originally wanted the Nightmare system to randomize level layout. Although I dont know how successful such an attempt would have been.

X6 definitely has it's issues, but I still love the challenge. Trying to do an unarmored X run is very hard, but a very fun challenge.

Although as unarmored/Shadow X you need jumper in order to pass a certain part in Gate's stages.

We can definitely say X6 puts the "nintendo hard" back in Megaman.

by the way, if anyone cares, there IS an X6 prototype available for download.

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2010/08/early-rockman-x6-prototype-released.html

as well as 2 MM8 betas

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2011/03/rockman-8-beta-version-walkthrough.html

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2011/03/rockman-8-beta-v2-released.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:29:19 PM by Flame »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »
Maybe they were too lazy or perhaps spriting was too much of a problem, also I kinda of bring more bad news this was just posted a day ago  http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/222218/mega-man-legends-3-is-dead-for-real-japan-devs-close-up-shop/ What was the #@$%ing point of the 100,000 strong!!!! just so this can happen what the ^@#$ is wrong with capcom at first I was optimistic now is there no freaking hope at all? this just can't happen what were they fighting FOR!? For this to happen what is going to happen to the series now is there really no chance at all >:(

Before you blow a gasket, the JAPANESE devroom was already set to close when they cancelled L3.

the NORTH AMERICAN one however will remain open indefinitely. 100,000 strong was about the North American Devroom.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2011, 02:31:19 AM »
Before you blow a gasket, the JAPANESE devroom was already set to close when they cancelled L3.

the NORTH AMERICAN one however will remain open indefinitely. 100,000 strong was about the North American Devroom.

which translates to MML3 still having a chance, but'll be a North American Developed game if it were to continue.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2011, 05:02:38 AM »
Not necessarily. The point is to increase the numbers in the devroom and prove to capcom the real audience there is. Considering that Capcum used the numbers from the dewvroom to indicate the units they would sell. A Stupid idea, considering they themselves said that you didnt have to join the devroom, and could justs tit back and watch.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2011, 06:50:37 AM »
You do know it costs money to make animated cutscenes right?

That's not my concern. My concern is that this product (which I probably paid about roughly the same amount of money as X4) is lacking an awesome feature that really added to its direct predecessor. A feature which, by all means, it should have had. I find that gravely disappointing. To put it into perspective, I think if Castlevania: Curse of Darkness didn't have voice actors and only used text for dialogue scenes, despite Castlevania: Lament of Innocence having voice actors, it would be a damn shame, and I would complain, which I would be entirely justified in doing.

Are you fucking kidding me here? You MUST be off your rocker if you think an armor

No, I'm not fucking kidding you.

X4's split game was terrible, because then it creates a timeline split. Plus the whole idea is they are partners. the best of partners. they SHOULD be fighting together. not one stays at base while the other goes out, which is what X4 implies.

This may be a big shocker to you, but no one really cares about the timeline in Mega Man games. Maybe about .05% of the people really, really care about that. They care about good, well-thought out game design. I mean, people care about the timeline to a certain degree. The timeline has its place, but it can go to hell if it gets in the way of good, well-thought out game design.

really though, to each his own, but I wouldnt call the music Dull. I dont recall any soundtracks to be dull. In fact, the only one that was forgettable, was X8's.

Hmm. Let's compare:

X4-

Mega Man X4 OST, T13: Jet Stingray Stage (Marine Base)

Megaman X4 - Stage Select

X5 -

Mega Man X5 Stage Select Screen

Mega Man X5 OST, T17: Mattrex / Burn Dinorex Stage (Volcanic Inferno ~ Red-Hot World!)

But, I give it to you. The music in X5 isn't all dull. There are some standout tracks for sure. But, as I said, it doesn't live up to its legacy. Not because it isn't X4. Because it isn't as good or better than X4 and isn't even close to it, on the whole. It is much less exciting and melodically interesting in comparison to me. It's... kinda' weak. See above examples. I actually feel that is a pretty decent depiction of the musical differences in the games. There's a real heart-pounding sense of urgency and action in X4's music. I feel most of X5's music is total background stuff you can kick back to (not in a good way), relatively speaking.

Also, the duck shouldn't have been there, ever. It's much more artful and fun to do a quick slide to dodge enemy attacks.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:17:20 AM by Successor The Red »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:09 AM »
No, I'm not fucking kidding you.
then your just trolling. X4 armor was cool, but Falcon armor allows free flight. And X4's Nova Strike was next to useless. It took too long to charge for what it was, which was just a damaging dash attack with pretty short range. Only the Ultimate Amor has a useful Nova Strike. Falcon armor on the other hand, has a screen sweeping giga attack.

I think you really either have the nostalgia goggles on, or are blinded by your love for X4. I cant see otherwise. I love X4- its my favorite X game, but even I can appreciate the advancements its successors made. ESPECIALLY to the upgrade system. (which X7 and 8 promptly flushed down the toilet) and X8, while my least favorite X game, DID make a vast improvement to the armor system, with a pretty novel idea of part switching.

Hmm. Let's compare:
Mattrex is one of my favorite X5 tracks too.

You cant really compare a fast paced ride chaser stage to a slower paced volcano stage. Where the lava threat is even more pronounced than in X4.

And X5's ride chaser segment doesnt count. It only accounts for one small section at the start of the stage.

now, i WILL agree though, that between X4 and 5, the overall "feel" changed.

How do you feel about X6's music?

Blaze Heatnix perhaps? One of the best X series tunes.

This may be a big shocker to you, but no one really cares about the timeline in Mega Man games. Maybe about .05% of the people really, really care about that. They care about good, well-thought out gameplay. The timeline can go to hell if it gets in the way of good, well-thought out gameplay.

I
really
beg
To
differ.

thats TWO wikis. TWO.

As do all the mangas and source books released for the series, many of which house valuable plot related information.

Obviously people care enough about the plot to make mangas out of, And even Collectible CARDS out of. (Check out the MegaMission card series some time)

We only got the two halves of R20 and Zero complete works. but there are FAR more sourcebooks out there.

the X series books in particular, all reveal cruicial information to the series timeline and plot.

just look at the amount of these things.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Manga

I will agree the plot does not really take importance in Mega Man classic, but X series and beyond is all about the plot. Companies like Inti Creates are BIg suckers for plot and continuity, and the Zero series is one of the series with the most source information and background info.

It is all the story that will eventually lead to the Legends series as it's inevitable conclusion.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:29:00 AM by Flame »

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2011, 07:46:26 AM »
You cant really compare a fast paced ride chaser stage to a slower paced volcano stage. Where the lava threat is even more pronounced than in X4.

And X5's ride chaser segment doesnt count. It only accounts for one small section at the start of the stage.

If it makes a difference I think Magma Dragoon's theme is considerably better than Burn Dinorex. The same goes for Storm Owl to Spiral Pagacion, Slash Beast to Grizzly Slash, and so on.

How do you feel about X6's music?

Mmm. About the same as I do about X5. The music isn't bad, but it's not as good as it should be. There are some great tracks, among them, Blizzard Wolfang, Hi-MAX, and yeah, Blaze Heatnix.

I
really
beg
To
differ.

I think you're taking my point a little wrong. Yes, I'm sure there are people who care about the Mega Man characters and its story. However, I think people who get an itch they can't scratch because of something like this "timeline split" are in the small, small minority. Besides, I believe Mega Man X4 implies that the character you choose not to use is out doing something else. From what it seems to me, the Repliforce and Maverick Hunters were involved in a pretty good sized military conflict. I'm sure there was plenty for both characters to do. We just follow the missions of the particular character we're playing as.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:48:40 AM by Successor The Red »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
I just found out that in Japan they did a second port of Rockman to mobile phone for the 20th anniversary. Normally I wouldn't care, but it seems besides not shrinking the game's graphics they added a Roll mode when you beat the game once. If anyone has or can point me to the .jar file for this or even better the sprites for this version of Roll that would really rock!  ;D
"Stuff and things."

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »
Ah, Mega Man. The Legends 3 news didn't hit me hard as I've just never been a big Legends fan, but it's definitely sad news--even worse than the Universe news. I have no idea what the fate of the overseas-only Rockman Online is (though it did seem stylistically cool).

Regardless, none of these three were really doing it for me as a long-time Mega Man fan. Honestly, this multiplayer, user-generated content movement for Mega Man feels largely misguided as to where the series needs to go to evolve and be big.

Generally speaking to the topic of the thread...

Mega Man 1-6 are all fine, even if some get repetitive and some are better than others. They all have charm. i go back and forth about what order of enjoyment they fit in overall.
Mega Man 7 is really amazing--definitely a standout title--and only suffers occasionally from its oversized sprites.
Mega Man 8 usually feels too gimmicky and clunky, though it's not terrible by any means. It felt like a step back from 7.
Mega Man & Bass struck me as better than Mega Man 8, even though it is a bit rough around the edges. I've only played the GBA version unfortunately.
Mega Man 9 mixed in too much nostalgia, reused resources, and somewhat bland Robot Masters alongside some genuinely good gameplay concepts.
Mega Man 10 felt more fresh and fun than MM9, and had more personality to its Robot Masters.
Mega Man Powered Up is interesting, but nothing too special.
Mega Man Soccer is an amusing fan-service diversion.

Mega Man X is a classic and very balanced, but also doesn't have quite as much personality as some of the later X titles.
Mega Man X2 might be my favorite X title (looking forward to the rumored VC re-release; hope X3 happens, too).
Mega Man X3 felt very bold, ambitious, and memorable, but also somehow less balanced than X1 or X2.
Mega Man X4 is more style over substance, and plays it safe, despite the nice cut scenes and memorable Sigma fight.
Mega Man X5 felt rushed and unbalanced, and kind of stale.
Mega Man X6 had a lot of cool stuff, but is very rough around the edges. Ironically, though, I tend to think of it as more interesting an effort than X5.
Mega Man X7 was the most ambitious X game of them all, but was super sloppy. I would like to see them polish this format with another go.
Mega Man X8 was a solid game, but felt like it was playing it too safe.
Mega Man X: Command Mission was, aside from being radically different, a great X entry with a lot to offer, and personality in spades.
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X was a great remake, but I didn't like the fiddling with the story/timeline, and I'm not sure if it's hands down better than X1.

Mega Man Zero was a good start, but it felt like the series was trying to get an identity.
Mega Man Zero 2 was the signature Zero game.
Mega Man Zero 3 was a letdown after 2, despite some good art concepts.
Mega Man Zero 4 was more fun than Zero 3, but the story was off the rails and it continued the more gimmicky tone of Zero 3.

(To be honest, many of the X and Zero series games have not aged well based on my recent replays).

Mega Man Battle Network 2
is the only game in the series I played. It was very enjoyable for one game, but I didn't see how I could play more than two of this style of game.

Couldn't get into Legends, skipped Star Force and ZX1.

Mega Man ZX2: Advent was a competent game with clever ideas, but it just wasn't tons of fun. The design seemed to bog down the spirit of Mega Man.

I'm looking for a Mega Man revival. MM9 and MM10 were nice appetizers, but I'd like something along the lines of X7--only 100% more polished. Either that, or a Classic MM or new MM altogether that uses really advanced visuals with dynamic action-platforming.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:09:35 PM by RichterB »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
Really? I considered Z3 the peak of the Zero series. Z4 was a step down from Z3. Even though it DID do away with the EX skill by rank thing.

Play ZX1. Personally, i feel it is much better than ZXA

Tags: