Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Exolutionary Steps to make Metroidvanis better...?  (Read 22572 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Exolutionary Steps to make Metroidvanis better...?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 07:18:14 AM »
I just want one thing: Significant Combat System. Make with combo, blocks and suff in a 2D plane, make very encounter significant. So, stop with hand drwan sprites, make them digital so they can animate perfectly (cell-shaded if you will)

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
Symphony of The Night got it right, you were able to go to almost every area of the game from almost the start of the game, we need this to come back and not linear progress such, finish library to go through chambers, finish chambers to go through catacombs e.t.c.

We need freedom of exploration and more platforming/puzzles!!!

Also SotN battle system, was having the special attacks for the weapons, which was unique for each weapon. Why not having something similar? Let's say a combination of the cross with the attack button or buttons, resulting in a special combo attack and to make things more interesting, each weapon would have a limited use of that combo, so that the game want turn a peace of cake, that you could restore at a special location or from a merchant, if there is one and you could even upgrade it to more times of use, by equiping it with some special jewels.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
What is the point of leveling up, then?

Final Fantasy VIII wants to talk with you.... ;)
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Not even the legend of Belmont can withstand time
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »
Not everyone finds level grinding boring I will say though ^^" Plus its been a tradition for the Metroidvanias to have the leveling up system for the main game. Not that I wouldn't mind Castlevania going back to its roots, but the leveling up works for some gamers too so eliminating it completely isn't the best of ideas for a metroidvania.

A combo system would be interesting, blocking too. We could also go with a parry/counter move to deflect enemy attacks and give a few seconds to attack back. Course not sure if every fan will agree with this, but wouldn't be bad for a game or two.

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »
So many great ideas in this thread!

Personally, I always thought that having a certain window for your level would be nice.

EXAMPLE:
Alucard can be level 1 - 5 until he reaches a certain point of the game, like a boss battle or something. Then, after he reaches that point, he can go to levels 6 - 10. That way the game can prevent the player from becoming too overpowered and coasting through it.

Also, level restrictions on items/weapons/armor. Stronger items/weapons/armor require higher levels.

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
The metroidvanias are great, but they all suffer from repetitiveness and sprite recycling. If they could make a game that doesn't recycle half of the sprites, i'd buy it. Some sprites look too amateurish.Especially the handheld ones.In contrast the ones used in  SOTN look more elaborated, especially the 3 brothers Blade, Gurkha and Hammer.
Also It would be interesting to have you go back to the item only rooms .Maybe have an enemy with a rare drop appear after you collected the items . Or have the HP/MP max refresh after a while. Dunno.I just don't like how these rooms become useless once you collected the items.
The other point that should be fixed is the difficulty. Not only should the bosses be hard, forcing you to learn their patterns(which OOE did) instead of bashing the buttons, but the developers  should rethink the leveling system, or just get rid of it. they should also get rid of broken items/abilities, or have them appear after you completed the game. And finally they should give more importance to the story, characters voice acting etc.
OoE was a huge step in the right direction imo . Now if they could combine all the good elements from the previous games such as SOTN and CoTM ( i really liked the DSS system) , they could prolly make the best metroidvania.

Offline Ialdabaoth

• Hunter in Training
  • Struggling Sprite Comic Maker
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 10:03:36 AM »
I just want one thing: Significant Combat System. Make with combo, blocks and suff in a 2D plane, make very encounter significant. So, stop with hand drwan sprites, make them digital so they can animate perfectly (cell-shaded if you will)

THIS!!

I mean, those cellphone games that emulated the CV style was able to pull it off in spades, why not the actual games?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »
I don't think there is much of a point to adding level caps throughout the game. OoE already proved you can still have a challenging game without having to resort to such measures.   

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »
Not sure why anyone would have a problem with the leveling up system.

Its the 1 major thing I like about the metroidvanias and would not change it for the world. ;D

Some things I would add to a metroidvania is for 1 a combo system.

Someone earlier pointed out using something akin to what Zero uses from the Megaman series.

Where he has a list of different combos.

I think it would be pretty cool to have different combos for different types of weapons like the sword,spears,axes etc.

Also I would add pit deaths.

Maybe something like if you fall into lava or acid you immediately die. none of that heath going down crap. Just a good ole fashioned death.

I would also add fcv cutscenes between the characters and events.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »
I like what Circle of the Moon did at times:  Add NEW, more menacing enemies to rooms, later on in the game.  You're thinking "Oh I'll just dash through this part of the castl-OH HOLY CRAP GIANT DEMON ENEMY IS FOLLOWING ME GET HIM OFF GET HIM OFF!!!"
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
As for Level system, this can go three ways.

level up would be normal, but grant access to stronger skills and equipment, Monsters will grow with you (Like FFVIII and KH2)

Level up would be very light on stats but more on Life/Hearts

Level Up would be like LoS, only used to get skills

I think any of these would do great for balance.

I thnk more Character interaction will be best if the games wanna be more story driven, that means more character development and ultimately a story that can't be summed up in two sentences.

Enemies that interact with the stage, the older games did this (like the swinging skeletons in Rondo or the ones that pop out of the window) the new games seem to lack that and pretty much every enemy is just waitinr for you.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Gambit Belmont

• Kinetic Vampire Hunter
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 01:25:32 PM »
Enemies that interact with the stage, the older games did this (like the swinging skeletons in Rondo or the ones that pop out of the window) the new games seem to lack that and pretty much every enemy is just waiting for you.

This.

To be honest, i'd really like it if they were to re-use "item rooms" for other purposes later.  One example would be to come back later when you acquired an item or ability that allowed you to open up a secret passageway.

Offline Deko21

• Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Vampire Hunter
  • The world is corrupt
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 02:28:58 PM »
I think it'd be better if there were more puzzle rooms, similar to the one in DoS. And some different ones. And the one Jorge mentioned, cause its tiring to see the same weak enemies in the entrance hall. Plus it'll make grinding easier even though the enemies will much tougher to take down.
"I may not be able to use the whip, but i can still kick your ass!" -Jonathan Morris

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »
Final Fantasy VIII wants to talk with you.... ;)

I have tried that game, never liked it. To be honest, I never really finish most RPGs I played, usually I'll keep playing it until I'm forced to grind for hours to advance, It bores me. So I don't know.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Rather then a level up system why not go the LoI/Zelda/Metroid route? Collect items to grant you greater strength, life, weapons, armor, moves, etc.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: