Poll

Why do you hate LoS?

Uses too much stuff from GoW, SotC, etc.
9 (22%)
Plot (Gabriel becomes Dracula, etc.)
5 (12.2%)
Music (Different from what the series is known for)
6 (14.6%)
Bestiary (Monsters and bosses not like in IGA's timeline)
1 (2.4%)
Other. Explain or propose in topic.
20 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LoS: Why do some fans hate it?  (Read 81995 times)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2012, 08:10:20 AM »
When a game series is no longer a challenge to ANYONE, it can be considered dead. The metroidvanias lacked any challenge (until OoE came along, but even that's pretty easy on the whole) andnow it's progressed to just being games of tedium.

The game becomes easy, only when you are able to memorize all the attack paterns of the bosses and enemies. The same goes and for the older classic Castlevania games. Once you learn the way an enemy/boss moves and attacks, you don't have a problem to avoid getting hit!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2012, 08:22:43 AM »
In that case, Haunted Castle will never be considered easy no matter how many times you play it  ;)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »
The LoS bandwagon trend has died down a lot recently. It doesn't seem to be that memorable amongst gaming boards anymore. Hmmmm I wonder why, for a game that was supposed to bring the series back into the spotlight.  :P

They're still waiting on the news of the sequel, the only time people talk about LoS is when the ending is brought up.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2012, 09:57:35 AM »
In that case, Haunted Castle will never be considered easy no matter how many times you play it  ;)

Well, there is always the exception to the rule!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline meanguyjones

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: LoS: Why do some fans hate it?
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2012, 09:59:13 AM »
The LoS bandwagon trend has died down a lot recently. It doesn't seem to be that memorable amongst gaming boards anymore. Hmmmm I wonder why, for a game that was supposed to bring the series back into the spotlight.  :P

Or its been over a year since the game has released, and theres nothing more to discuss until the sequels announced? Even still, the game is brought up on gaming websites as one of the most anticipated sequels of 2012. Pretty sure thats way more than you can say for any previous Castlevania games.

I'd say they succeeded.

Nice icon, pal

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2012, 09:59:53 AM »
They're still waiting on the news of the sequel, the only time people talk about LoS is when the ending is brought up.

There's not a lot left to say about it, since that 600+ post LoS CONFIRMATION topic recently died. That thing lasted way too long, and it was impossible to go through it to know if what you had to say had already been mentioned or not.

I personally really enjoyed LoS, and have replayed it multiple times since finishing it. I like the direction, and in the topic I've already mentioned, I've already stated in really big blocks of text why I like it. The plot's already been discussed, the the enemies have been discussed, the levels (favorite stages, etc) have already been touched on, all in that one topic. There's just nothing new to say yet. It's too soon for people to bring back topics to discuss in retrospect after playing newer titles, and we have next to no news on the sequel. Just very basic speculation.

There are plenty of thing I don't like about it though, like the whole DLC thing. Really? I bought this game, but I have to spend EXTRA money to download the actual ending, which doesn't even have the CGI cutscenes like the rest of the game? Ugh. I liked the DLC, but I didn't like that it was DLC. Also, while I thought the music that was in the game was great, there wasn't enough tune variety, and that was kind of irritating. I'd also like more action, and less puzzles. I really love everything else the game did though.

Lolz, also I'm not European.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:04:01 AM by Gecko »
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
Wait..the LoS thread completely disappeared? Or just died down?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
Or its been over a year since the game has released, and theres nothing more to discuss until the sequels announced? Even still, the game is brought up on gaming websites as one of the most anticipated sequels of 2012. Pretty sure thats way more than you can say for any previous Castlevania games.

Look at corneliab trying to crawl back to the CVD months after he got publicly humiliated by Jorge & banned. Your new alias is pathetic, lol.

I bought this game, but I have to spend EXTRA money to download the actual ending, which doesn't even have the CGI cutscenes like the rest of the game? Ugh.

Yeah, the flash comic-book style cutscenes weren't that great, but oh well.

Offline meanguyjones

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: LoS: Why do some fans hate it?
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
Moderators on here are welcome to check out my IP. inb4 U CHANGED UR IP TO POST ON THIS BOARD

I'd like to know how he was publicly humiliated (lol) so I can avoid the same fate, buddy. Did he call you out for making ridiculous statements too? You've got me really nervous.

I hope I'm Sumac next.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:08 AM »
I hope I'm Sumac next.

Not everyone can be as super-cool as Sumac, corneliab  8)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
The series IS as good as dead already. LoS isn't part of the series, it's some kind of Euromix. People fall in love with Euromixes and party the night away, but once the drugs wear off it's just a bunch of repetitive, uninspiring crap. ... Yes, I'm talking about music in the same breath.
To each its own, but for me LOS was much more Castlevania than last few attempts at the series from IGA and CO. And series is still alive as long as new titles being released. Even if you don't like those new titles.

When a game series is no longer a challenge to ANYONE, it can be considered dead.

Then Castlevania should have benn dead approximately at the times of Rondo and Symphony, since both games were VERY easy.

I think series lives are not dependant on its difficulty. I'd go so far to say that the more advanced game is - the easier it gets. It's normal thing and goes hand in hand with gaming evolution.
We are not at the days of NES, when developers created hard games mostly out of techncal limitations and desire to keep people playing it as long as possible. Nowadays developers have another tools to accomplish this goal (replayability, DLC, quality storylines e.t.c.). I'd say the games became so easy this days, that any game that have any traces of real difficulty immediately become quite infamous. Gamers get used to the games pushing buttons for them.

You don't see Capcom making Ghosts'n'Goblins in 3D. It's still 2D and still as fucking difficult as it ever was. Capcom and SNK Playmore continue to make 2D games that sell. As much as I dislike either of them, the fact remains they don't simply hop on the bandwagon and grind out Snausages (well, Playmore grinds out Snausages, but they spice it up).

And look what exactly Capcom is famous for today? Not Ghost'n'Goblins I believe.
And SNKP perpetually hanging few metres from becoming bankrupt. They desire to create 2D KOF has nothing to do with they devotion to the "2D ideals". It was simple business strategy. They already tried to create 3D KOF as future replacement for the 2D series, I believe, but it was unpopular, so they naturally decided to continue the line with what should have become a sure hit with (asian) public.
And why do you hate SNKP?

Companies still make 2D fighters. Gamers still buy 2D fighters. Companies make 2D platformers. Gamers still buy 2D platformers.  2D isn't dead and doesn't make a game series dead. Only how it's implemented. I know some people that absolutely love Mario DS even though they've beaten it time and time again. I know some people that love that Mario on the Wii. I know people that will buy a new 2D fighter as soon as it comes out on the market. And I know people that will buy 2D platformers when they come out on the market. The problem is most game companies no longer try to make good 2D platformers.
There is one thing with your rethoric: 2D fighters is a very limited genre when it comes to different approaches. If you can more or less easily transfer action game into 3D, than it practically impossible to do that with a fighting game, without almost completely altering game mechanics. Since fighting games are heavily depend on the game mechanics (and as consequence they popularity and number of sold units depend on it as well) its easier to continue create 2D fighting games, but with 3D engines.
Besides as far as I can say there are only like three major series that are in 2D now - MK, SF and MvC all done with 3D graphics. Drawn 2D fighting games are a niche market and mostly popualr only in asia countries, where they're being serious tournament disciplines.

And if 2D is do dead, why are Maple Story, Trickster Online, Grand Chase, La Tale, and similar games still online and making their companies money? (All of those are 2D MMORPGs.)
And how big they are?
I am not a newcomer to the gaming, but I personally hear all those names for the first time in my life.

There are plenty of thing I don't like about it though, like the whole DLC thing.
Sadly this is a modern politic for the companies. I despise DLC, but at least LOS's were something more than few accesories or something like that.

Look at corneliab trying to crawl back to the CVD months after he got publicly humiliated by Jorge & banned. Your new alias is pathetic, lol.

The only pathetic thing here is you, stealing my avatar. Seems that is all that you can do, because you absolutely can not have any normal discussion, like a mature person. Not that it was unexpected from you, given your KOOL attitude in the past, cupcake.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:14:26 PM by Sumac »

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »
+1
meanguyjones is a really awesome username : p

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2012, 09:38:20 AM »
What did you exactly expect from him? He's a trollmeister  :rollseyes:

In a related note, don't you just "feel" that the announcement is near, like, very near? Do you know when Konami's Gamers night take place?

Everything comes full circle

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
What did you exactly expect from him? He's a trollmeister  :rollseyes:

Sam I am, however I get along quite well with almost everyone here.. but some people that wanna act like Dave Cox Jr. & diss the fanbase need to get their opinions checked every now & then  :rollseyes: :rollseyes: :rollseyes:

b-but don't take it personal, Ahashvershusius. You're fun to debate with  ;)

In a related note, don't you just "feel" that the announcement is near, like, very near? Do you know when Konami's Gamers night take place?

you mean an official announcement? Konami will reveal a new MGS spinoff before they say anything CV related, it'll probably be the last on their list of priorities. Maybe if the 3DS wasn't bombing we might've gotten a teaser image of a potential 3DS CV leaked by now.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »

In a related note, don't you just "feel" that the announcement is near, like, very near?

I know I don't. I had the same feeling when the 3DS game and the Complete Chronicles thing were rumored, and we all know how that went. Although it's a safe bet to say we'll see LoS2 towards the end of this year, I also wouldn't be surprised if it released in 2013 instead.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags: spoiler