Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Adventuring around VS Following a path?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline BoxHusky

• I am a living box
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Adventuring around VS Following a path?
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:53:22 AM »
I've been wondering this, would people be more willing to play a castlevania with the same controls as now with death pits or would is it the adventuring that draws people in?
I love boxes.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Adventuring around VS Following a path?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »
Well, when i'm playing a Castlevania game, i really care about the game play controls. Now to answer your question, i prefer a Castlevania game with a solid game play mechanics and being adventuring, including death pits. It want have to be strictly inside the castle. You could start outside the castle, from a town for example, making your way to the castle and also have some extra/secret areas to explore for the hardcore fans!!! Example a stormy sea that you can explore only with a certain item that leads to a island with a fortress on it and some extra bosses!!! They don't have necessary to be connected with the main plot. Doors that when you press up, you enter to a new area, the same way you are entering houses in Order of Ecclesia. There is so much potential for the series, i could go on all day writing ideas here, but Konami will never make them happen, because Konami doesn't listen to her Castlevania fans....... :'(
Ruler of Chaos

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:57:09 AM »
Since when couldn't an adventure game have death pits?  Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Cave Story are both metroidvanias, and both have death pits.

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
Yeah we could still have the death pits. As for the main question definitely adventuring around. I prefer one big open area to explore as opposed to levels. Or even explorable levels like OoE. Did not like the way it was set up in LoS.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
"Oh my god, I can't survive a 50-foot drop. This game is so linear!"

Never mind that Castlevania for years has been based around breaking walls, climbing stairs, rebound-glitching off enemies, and so on to find new areas. Rondo of Blood was ultimately linear but had multiple branches to follow. Simon's Quest would be the closest to an adventure for classicvanias, and even that had death pits.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Not even the legend of Belmont can withstand time
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »
Always loved both playstylesof Castlevania, though I as of recent have been tilting towards the straight up levels since I usually don't have time to invest into a longer game. Even if I did, tendancy is if I don't finish it then, I'll be bugged about it all day and just want to get back to it immediately just to finish it. That's particularly bad since Im still in Uni doing studies.

For as long as the gameplay is engaging, I don't care if they throw instant death pits or spike traps that drop and insta-kill us.

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »
Ironically if we were in the pre-emulation era, the more non-linear games would've been better for those who don't have much time, since they tend to come with save points while the classic games tended not to, thus requiring somewhat long individual play sessions to get through the game.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
Actually I like both styles, but "adventuring" was done quite wrong in the past. So I am weary of that and right now I want more of the "linear games".

Tags: