Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Ok, so I just bought the SNES version of Chrono Trigger  (Read 9084 times)

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Ok, so I just bought the SNES version of Chrono Trigger
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:15:52 AM »
Comes to about $70 with shipping and handling.  This is the highest I've ever payed for a SNES game, and the Label is near-mint, and the game plays fine.  Given that I didn't want the PS1 version with long as hell load times and limited color pallet...did I make the right choice?
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
Re: Ok, so I just bought the SNES version of Chrono Trigger
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 09:07:09 AM »
In Reply To #1

$70? Hell, I picked up my copy at a Flea Market (granted, no box or manual) for $25. Cartridge is in great condition and plays perfectly fine.

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 09:54:08 AM »
In Reply To #2

???
 :'(
...well, since there's no flea markets by where I live, and since the game is regarded as one of the best of all time, I think there's little to be disappointed about.  Afterall, I'd rather pay $70 for this than some of the $60 games being crapped on the market these days...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:55:54 AM by Hunter of the Shadows »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 02:18:52 PM »
Ive never been able to get into this game. Ive got about as far as Chrono goin to the past the first time after findin out the girl is the princess or whatever. And I just cant be assed to keep goin. Maybe I missed it in its prime on the actual SNES but I cant see how this is the great RPG is hailed to be. FF4 FF6 and Secret of Mana are all leaps and bounds above what Ive seen of this game.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:25:10 PM »
$70 for an snes game that's over 10 years old?? Sounds like you've been swindled my friend

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 03:58:48 PM »
In Reply To #5

$70 is a fine price for a rare game (especially that particular game), don't be put off by these people.

The SNES version is superior to the PSX version, for the same problems you mentioned above.

It's a great game, totally worth the money.  Enjoy it.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline elbryan42

• Bargle Nawdle Zouss???
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 04:26:14 PM »
Yeah, that you got it is good enough. Excellent game.

I bought mine for $10 when Blockbuster was getting rid of their SNES games. Gotta love it when they do that.
----------------------------------------------------
Check out Elbryan42's Doom Depot! Check out the Doom 64 TC and download some Doom music.
http://doomdepot.doom2.net/

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 06:44:35 AM »
In Reply To #1

If you lived in europe, you'd have to pay a whole lot more than $70 so I think it's a nice price. People always brag how cheap they've picked up all sorts of rare games, it's a part of that silly video game forum mentality.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:54:09 PM »
Comes to about $70 with shipping and handling.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 11:04:58 PM »
In Reply To #9

Ps1 version has long load times and limited color pallet. 
Also, there are no stores by me that sell SNES games, now would they likely have Crono Trigger if they did.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 12:17:35 AM »
Even if there were a store near you selling the cart, I highly doubt it'd be priced less than $50--even if it's all banged up and the label's peeling off.

Seems to me that Chrono Trigger would be an excellent choice for a Virtual Console release.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 05:32:55 AM »
In Reply To #11

I think Square Enix said they had no desire to release their classic RPG's on VC, though...they seem to have much more fun re-releasing the same games for $30 on GBA...but I also heard they had no desire to do anything with the Chrono series, which just sucks in my view...

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 07:22:06 AM »
In Reply To #11

I think Square Enix said they had no desire to release their classic RPG's on VC, though...they seem to have much more fun re-releasing the same games for $30 on GBA...but I also heard they had no desire to do anything with the Chrono series, which just sucks in my view...

yeah that's bs man considering most people these days don't have a snes (and 70 bones is alot if they do, that's more than the game originally sold for even in expensive stores like Toys R Us) anymore and if you get the snes one you have to deal with the horror of 80's/early 90's horrid translators. (though this is the version I'd get as the PSX version is plagued with flaws) Square needs to put this either on Xbox live or the Wii's virtual console or both.One thing nintendo does which annoys me but is good in a way is rerelease the same titles over and over. keeps them on the market and reasonably priced which is good.  :)
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 07:58:51 AM »
In Reply To #13

I don't know.  I played a rom of the SNES game in the past, and the translation seemed spot on.  They even talked about death and such, even though it was an SNES game.

Offline Pneophen

• Ok. We'll move.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 12:36:18 PM »
Out of curiosity, is the rom on the Chrono Trigger disk fully playable. I know it has issues with the dialogue overlapping itself, but I was wonder if there were other glitches. I've never fully played through the hacked rom on the disk myself since everything is in Japanese.

Tags:

anything