Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Now that I'm getting a PsP...  (Read 16234 times)

Offline elbryan42

• Bargle Nawdle Zouss???
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Now that I'm getting a PsP...
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2007, 03:26:26 AM »
That's how I've been for years with Contra and Gradius. Too hard, and chances are I'll never play through them (since it takes time to play old schooler), since I just don't have the time and dedication I used to. Real life can do that.

But lately, I've been re-evaluating my gaming choices. So many games are coming out, and they just aren't as enjoyable or the lasting quality of those old classic games.

Besides Contra 3, I've never beaten a Contra game until Contra 4 (even though I own tons of them). Until Gradius Collection, I never once beat a Gradius game. And Parodius/Salamander, I've only beaten the games though emulation with save states. Besides Super Ghouls N Ghosts, I suck at that series. These hard new games have gotten me actually taking the time to invest in the steep learning curve. I'm thankful for that.

That's why I'm selling off around half of my game collection. It's no longer "that looks cool, I may play it someday, it shall be bought" but more of, which games will I truly respect and enjoy for years to come, even though they're not the popular choice.

So, that's why I'm invensting in games like Gradius/Parodius/Twinbee/Salamander collections, Contra 4, UGNG, lots of XBLA games, and more. Those classics have lasting power.

I'm glad for my new (and somehow old) outlook on games. With time has given us an overabundance of games. Tons of lower tier games with lots of production value, multiplayer, and plenty of reasons to keep the average gamer spending too much money on stuff they don't need.

You can't beat the classics. You'll spend more time and get more enjoyment out of those older games, which cost much less, than mountains of games that suddenly don't matter a year after you get them.

I know, long post. But before writing off a great games like Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins, because of difficulty (or for new-age gamers, lack of multiplayer), think about what got you into games in the first place.

That's what I did, and for the first time in a years, I've been enjoying games with new vigor and enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 03:31:35 AM by Elby Damned »
----------------------------------------------------
Check out Elbryan42's Doom Depot! Check out the Doom 64 TC and download some Doom music.
http://doomdepot.doom2.net/

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 06:48:13 AM »
That's how I've been for years with Contra and Gradius. Too hard, and chances are I'll never play through them (since it takes time to play old schooler), since I just don't have the time and dedication I used to. Real life can do that.

But lately, I've been re-evaluating my gaming choices. So many games are coming out, and they just aren't as enjoyable or the lasting quality of those old classic games.

Besides Contra 3, I've never beaten a Contra game until Contra 4 (even though I own tons of them). Until Gradius Collection, I never once beat a Gradius game. And Parodius/Salamander, I've only beaten the games though emulation with save states. Besides Super Ghouls N Ghosts, I suck at that series. These hard new games have gotten me actually taking the time to invest in the steep learning curve. I'm thankful for that.

That's why I'm selling off around half of my game collection. It's no longer "that looks cool, I may play it someday, it shall be bought" but more of, which games will I truly respect and enjoy for years to come, even though they're not the popular choice.

So, that's why I'm invensting in games like Gradius/Parodius/Twinbee/Salamander collections, Contra 4, UGNG, lots of XBLA games, and more. Those classics have lasting power.

I'm glad for my new (and somehow old) outlook on games. With time has given us an overabundance of games. Tons of lower tier games with lots of production value, multiplayer, and plenty of reasons to keep the average gamer spending too much money on stuff they don't need.

You can't beat the classics. You'll spend more time and get more enjoyment out of those older games, which cost much less, than mountains of games that suddenly don't matter a year after you get them.

I know, long post. But before writing off a great games like Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins, because of difficulty (or for new-age gamers, lack of multiplayer), think about what got you into games in the first place.

That's what I did, and for the first time in a years, I've been enjoying games with new vigor and enthusiasm.

as long as you get infinite continues like the others I'll give UGNG a shot.  :)
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline elbryan42

• Bargle Nawdle Zouss???
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Now that I'm getting a PsP...
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 09:08:39 AM »
Yes, there's infinite continues.
----------------------------------------------------
Check out Elbryan42's Doom Depot! Check out the Doom 64 TC and download some Doom music.
http://doomdepot.doom2.net/

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 05:12:37 PM »
So what the heck is with the PSP screen? I've been playing Rondo and SOTN, and I've noticed that every time the screen scrolls, everything gets really dark and blurry, and this happens with generally any kind of movement. When things are standing still, they look good, but when there's motion, it looks like mud. I've noticed it in the Dracula X remake as well.

Is it just this game, or is it the screen and all PSP games have that problem? It really bugs me.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 05:22:49 PM »
In Reply To #34

That might have something to do with DXC's low f/s.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 06:41:34 PM »
So what the heck is with the PSP screen? I've been playing Rondo and SOTN, and I've noticed that every time the screen scrolls, everything gets really dark and blurry, and this happens with generally any kind of movement. When things are standing still, they look good, but when there's motion, it looks like mud. I've noticed it in the Dracula X remake as well.

Is it just this game, or is it the screen and all PSP games have that problem? It really bugs me.

I haven't really noticed anything like that, but I use the original PSP so it may have something to do with the slim/lite ones.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »

I think you make a really good point.

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2007, 09:52:41 PM »
In Reply To #34

I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is ghosting, a sad side-effect to the PSP's poor refresh rate.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2007, 06:19:54 PM »
Sony can go to hell then for releasing the PSP with a bad LCD. >:O
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2007, 06:39:24 PM »
In Reply To #39

Actually, now in ownership of a PsP, I have to say I barely notice such effects.  It's pretty much the same for me as playing GBA games on my DS.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2007, 06:46:27 PM »
It's not too noticeable on SOTN and DXC unless you're really paying attention, but I don't know how anyone could NOT be bothered by it on Rondo of Blood.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2007, 07:56:05 PM »
Maybe it's because I'm using the Slim and Lite, but I don't think that could be the case...

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2007, 09:05:37 PM »
I've got the same thing. :o And far as I know, the PSP and Slim share the same screen.

MAYBE YOUR EYES ARE STUPID :O

:)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2007, 06:33:53 AM »
MAYBE YOUR EYES ARE STUPID :O

...ok, that's the last time I post furry artwork, believe me...

Offline A vicar in a tutu

• As natural as rain, he dances again.
  • Master Hunter
  • Get your vile soul dry-cleaned
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2007, 10:59:01 AM »
In Reply To #43
The same happens on both the Slim and fat PSP. I used to own the FAT one.
I haven't noticed on the remake when the background darkens, but it's really annoying on the original Rondo. Especially on the beginning of Stage 2, the crows blend in with the dark and makes them kinda invisible.
However, it is strange that this minor problem is not present in DXC's SOTN.
Or perhaps I haven't noticed in there yet.

Tags:

anything