Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: games/series that should be revived  (Read 24446 times)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2012, 01:55:18 AM »
+1

5.) Bionic Commando. Capcom/GRIN's 2009 3D Bionic Commando nearly knocked it out of the park. They still got an in-field homerun in my mind, though, creating one of the most impressive games of this generation. Now that the tricky gameplay mechanics were solidified, all you need to do is put a bit more meat on the bones of the levels, and you have an instant masterpiece.

I loved this game too... The ending was pretty melancholy, not because I really cared about the plot, but because it was sort of a signal to me that the game was a huge flop and this would be the last we'd see of anything with similar arm-swinging majesty. RIP Spencer.  :'(

As for Contra, after seeing the complete insanity in Metal Gear Rising, I would fucking love to see Platinum Games make a 3D one. The giant robots shitting missiles and fire everywhere are very much the heart and soul of Contra, and while I enjoyed LoS enough, MercurySteam really doesn't have the technical prowess to do it justice. C'mon Kojima, use your muscle to make it happen!

While we're on the subject of Konami and Kojima (Kojami?), he's stated that he would love to lend out his Fox Engine and/or technical supervision to anyone wanting to make a new Silent Hill. Considering that much of what was left of Team Silent is scattered throughout KojiPro (and that Kojima is pretty much the only guy doing anything, at all, in Konami these days), I'd say A) contact Grasshopper (ie, Suda 51 and Akira Yamaoka) B) contact Masahiro Ito, who also tweeted his interest in this whole prospect, C) regroup the old team members still at Kojipro, and D) make a quasi-reunion Silent Hill. Even Konami's president thought this was a good idea. Holy God would this be amazing.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2012, 07:22:07 AM »
Mother but Itoi said he was done so this is a dream never ever had the chance to really play them.
That is, unless Nintendo hands the franchise over to someone else. Who knows, there could be others out there who both know what it takes to make a good Mother title and are big fans of the series.

I really wouldn't mind another Mother game, especially if it was on the Wii U!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2012, 09:54:23 PM »
You know. I'd like to see a survival-horror style remake of the old PC game "Drowned God". That's probably my all time favorite pc game. And as long as I'm on the subject, a new "Dungeon Keeper" and "Shogun: Total War" would be nice too.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
Gestu Fuma would work wonders but who could do it right?
THIS.

Why not MercurySteam after Castlevania? :hides:

Now..

It's not hard. Hey Konami, you don't need to be original at all, just use the current template, a template that is the game of the generation.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:30:54 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2012, 05:57:15 AM »
While we're on the subject of Konami and Kojima (Kojami?), he's stated that he would love to lend out his Fox Engine and/or technical supervision to anyone wanting to make a new Silent Hill. Considering that much of what was left of Team Silent is scattered throughout KojiPro (and that Kojima is pretty much the only guy doing anything, at all, in Konami these days), I'd say A) contact Grasshopper (ie, Suda 51 and Akira Yamaoka) B) contact Masahiro Ito, who also tweeted his interest in this whole prospect, C) regroup the old team members still at Kojipro, and D) make a quasi-reunion Silent Hill. Even Konami's president thought this was a good idea. Holy God would this be amazing.

That would all be..fangasmic.

I dare no longer dream for the revival of Silent Hill. But if I did, it would be at the top of my list.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2012, 10:01:01 AM »
THIS.

Why not MercurySteam after Castlevania? :hides:

I was thinking keiji inafune and his new company comcept after all he did bring onimusha to life and imo that is as close to a fuma game than anything else.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2012, 04:54:07 AM »
That would all be..fangasmic.

I dare no longer dream for the revival of Silent Hill. But if I did, it would be at the top of my list.

As long as Yamaoka is doing the music and they contract what's-her-name for vocals that would be fine. Downpour's music was atrocious.

I have another suggestion. How about another attempt at a fully 3D Galaga update that doesn't suck balls.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2012, 10:44:58 PM »
Strider definitely needs to make a comeback. He's one of the Capcom "all-stars" that has been left to obcurity. And COME ON, he's freakin BADASS! He acts like a badass and looks like a badass. He should be starring in a game like MGS's Raiden or the new Ninja Gaidens.

Brave Fencer Musashi, I love the game. The second one was a little lackluster(which probably put the nail into the franchise). Though, interestingly enough, it was cool back then when Square actually was trying their had at new IPs, and Brave Fencer Musashi was a great, fun action RPG with a whimsical world and hilarious characters! We need more of these!! Especially in this "Oh, I'm soooooo serious, grounded and gritty" world of overt realism.

Altered Beast is another title I couldn't believe they actually TRIED to revive, yet fucked it up epically. Why? It's an easy premise to get right. I guess they thought making it God of War, but with cool were-transformations wouldn't work, so they went all gene-slicing sci-fi in a contemporary setting. WTF? And from what I heard(and saw via gameplay vids) it looked like it played horribly.

Streets of Rage, hell, even a continuation of Double Dragon(after WayForward's Neon), I'd totally love. Hell, just get WayForward to revive a slew of classic brawlers. Get them to do Double Dragon Neon II, Streets of Rage(Neon... LOL, or EXTREME, given it was made in the 90s), a new Golden Axe, hell, I'd even LOVE them to do a TMNT 5(in the same vein as the Arcade and Turtles in Time, classic cartoon continuity series, similar 4th wall jokes like in Neon, bright colors, Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, hotty Channel 6 reporter April!! DO IT!!!!!

Mega Man Legends... sure, though I'd say Mega Man in general needs to be revived. How the mighty has fallen, and it shouldn't have happened to the Blue Bomber. The original series needs to come back(again), as does Legends. Maybe even a new X. XZ XYZ, ZBD, whatever others and the Battle Network... those could stay dead. ;D 

Last, Lunar...yes yes YES! Love the series. Shame it's not as popular as it deserves. Along with defunct RPGs, I'd love Wild ARMs to make a return, Suikoden to finally come back(not in a side-story/gaiden crap deal), a REAL Shining Force game(with the original character designer, not hentai Tony Taka crap) and, really, a TRUE Phantasy Star V!
It's funny, because despite the Noid being defunct for decades, I did like the Yo! Noid game. Though, I heard it was a different game entirely in Japan, and they released it over here with the Noid and Dominos Pizza references.

Totally Rad was pretty cool, though. It oozed early 90s art style(basically colorful, exaggerated, extreme and awesome).

And yes, it astounds me how, as of recent(and I mean, at least, mid-90s to now), nobody(I mean NOBODY) has ever thought about reviving the Little Nemo franchise. The old comics are cool, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the movie. The games(NES and Arcade) were awesome(the arcade one was also composed by Yoko Shimomura of Street Fighter 2, Kingdom Hearts, Live A Live and Final Fantasy Versus XIII fame). Hell, even if it was a 3D Ratchet & Clank-esque adventure through Slumberland's various whimsical environments, I'd be there in line, day one!!! Also, Disney/Pixar, Dreamworks, who-ever-the-hell..... make a new Little Nemo movie!!!
Oh, the music!!! This one's probably one of my favorite video game songs of all time!

Best VGM 351 - Demon's Crest - Beyond the Colosseum

It's a shame Capcom didn't really try harder to push for this to become one of their BIG series. It certainly deserved a spot among their other iconic franchises.

Personally, these are games I'd like to add as seeing revivals:

Any of the Culture Brain games. I always loved the Ninja Boy/Super Chinese series, Magic of Sheherazade and Flying Warriors series. They basically took various genres and melded them together to create games that were more than just easily defined to ONE genre. Magic of Scheherazade was almost like Legend of Zelda meets Dragon Quest. Flying Warriors was basically side-scroller action meets fighting game meets Dragon Quest. Ninja Boy series was JRPG with some Dragon Quest like menu-based battles, as well as the majority of battles being real-time arena bout beat'em ups.

"Little Ninja Bros"
Little Ninja Brothers - NES Gameplay

"Super Ninja Boy"
Super Ninja Boy (SNES / 1992)

"Flying Warriors"
Flying Warriors - NES Gameplay

"Magic of Scheherazade"
Magic of Scheherazade - NES Gameplay

Speaking of games that were more mixtures of more than one genre, I'd love to see a revival of Bayou Billy. It was, at it's core, a beat 'em up, with both shooter and driving aspects. And DAMN, that MUSIC!!!

"Adventures of Bayou Billy"
Adventures of Bayou Billy - NES Gameplay

Others series I'd love to see revived:

Wizards & Warriors
Clash at Demonhead
Ultima(C'mon.... bring it back, and bring it back RIGHT, not as some pussy ass social game, but as a REAL WRPG).
Splatterhouse(a real 2D brawler, along the lines of the first two, maybe get Wayforward to do it!!)
Monster Party
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

...somebody, anybody, get this man all teh moniez & a new-fangled A-Team made up of everyone he mentioned. STAT!
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »
I thought of another one!

The Guardian Legend

Man I loved that game back in the day.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 07:58:12 PM »
I would love to see a Legacy Of Kain HD Collection but it prop won't ever happen...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2013, 02:01:19 AM »
No one I think has mentioned these three

Namco X Capcom - Stepping Wind

Klonoa  :D

I have never had the chance to play any of the games, but I saw the wii version watched some classic game room and something tells me I would enjoy this game to death look at the colors in any of the games it is truly unique.

Next would be this beautiful woman

Namco X Capcom - Valkyrie

A hack and slash game with valkyrie with this kind of music would be mindblowing  :o

Not only that but I would tolerate her more that an other certain hack and slash heroine that's too playful for me  :P Or an adventure game like zelda

and one more since this game has not seen the light of day in who knows how long I think a reboot is very necessary or at least a remake and that is

Namco X Capcom - The Tower Of Druaga

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:04:41 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
Lunar, Shining Force, and Mega Man.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »
Lunar, Shining Force, and Mega Man.

I'm still waiting for Lunar: Eternal Blue to be given the 'Silver Star' treatment so I can play it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
As I said, I only want Shining Force revived if the original Camelot worked on it.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
Legend of Dragoon.... i wanna see it again!!!!
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Tags: