Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania style game from overhead perspective  (Read 20263 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania fans making an indie game!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
Thanks kaonstantine, heres another look at in it in action along with some other features, mind you many of the elements aren't 100%, much the code is working, but the animations need tweaking.

We would like some community feedback to help us along the development process. As of now we have fixed the health bar in the vid were its more visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BT1dvSQYw

thanks

Looking good, what's the frame rate at? My suggestion is to have the cam zoom in for close ups during maybe the final hit of special attacks. Kinda like DMC or Samuari Showdown so you can show off the details in the characters. I was expecting the cam to that in the vid for some reason....lol
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:31:51 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
Thanks. I think in that vid the framerate was 130fps, can't remember but it was over 100fps for sure. I know with 180 enemy AI onscreen we were still getting 30fps on a decent computer. We even had a rig run the game with 400 AI and was getting playable framerates lol. The goal for me would be around 60fps with 40 AI onscreen on most PCs.

Yeah we're thinking about maybe a zoom like you were talking about for the throat bite etc, didn't think about that for special attacks though, not a bad idea
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:41:37 PM by Ofthenight »

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 12:50:06 AM »
What i don't like is the Fire swell animation. The power looks good, but i find strange the way the caracter jumps. You're really making a great work, guys. Changing abilities during gamplay is a cool feature.

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 02:37:14 PM »
What i don't like is the Fire swell animation. The power looks good, but i find strange the way the caracter jumps. You're really making a great work, guys. Changing abilities during gamplay is a cool feature.

Thanks, yeah that was something that we want to change. In another build we had him simply raise his arm without leaving the ground.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 08:35:56 AM »
Thanks. I think in that vid the framerate was 130fps, can't remember but it was over 100fps for sure. I know with 180 enemy AI onscreen we were still getting 30fps on a decent computer. We even had a rig run the game with 400 AI and was getting playable framerates lol. The goal for me would be around 60fps with 40 AI onscreen on most PCs.

Yeah we're thinking about maybe a zoom like you were talking about for the throat bite etc, didn't think about that for special attacks though, not a bad idea
Thanks I try! lol It would be a shame not to be able to see the details you put into all those High Poly Models...

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania fans making an indie game
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
We started building a random dungeon generator a few weeks ago. Basically we will have set pieces every so often, but the majority of the environment will be random. A few titles do this now, PoE and torchlight I believe.

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 03:39:07 AM »
A little update on some art, we also got the dialogue system working with options in...

The Eonan below is a fallen angel that has been punished and forced mortality, they still retain some of their angelic powers, but are vulnerable against our playable character wielding using dark mana

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
+1
Added in a few things to the testing chamber here, changed the fireswell animation kaonstantine  ;D fast fwd to 1:28 for just combat

EoE pre alpha demo
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:45:36 PM by Ofthenight »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
Added in a few things to the testing chamber here, changed the fireswell animation kaonstantine  ;D fast fwd to 1:28 for just combat

EoE pre alpha demo
Very nice. You should have the camera zoom in to a Medium Shot of the character you are talking to during the dialogue sequences. (Think Knights of the Old Republic). The combat seems very hack and slash (which is cool) but you should slow it down. Maybe add a parry function to the character. (Think Metal Gear Solid Revengeance.) That would add some strategy to the combat. Also, I think I mentioned it before, but you should have the camera pam, tilt, and zoom in for special attacks. You really should show off your models! I hope I have been helpful, I tried to be specific as possible for you. I would love to help beta if possible. I have some free time while updating my 3D portfolio.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 05:34:03 PM »

fireswell looks better now. I have to congratulate you guys, because you are creating something interesting. The wind blowing, the background noises, the interface design... all is consistent. even being a pre-alpha, there's an obscure atmosphere in your game i found enjoyable. I liked the design of the dialogue boxes. I know I'm asking too much, but would be great if you could add voice to the dialogues.

Also, I think I mentioned it before, but you should have the camera pam, tilt, and zoom in for special attacks. You really should show off your models! I hope I have been helpful, I tried to be specific as possible for you. I would love to help beta if possible. I have some free time while updating my 3D portfolio.

Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes distant camera is something i am thankful for. I found it annoying when the zoom goes in and out all the time, but totally agree with darkmanx about the parry function

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 04:41:17 AM »
Very nice. You should have the camera zoom in to a Medium Shot of the character you are talking to during the dialogue sequences. (Think Knights of the Old Republic). The combat seems very hack and slash (which is cool) but you should slow it down. Maybe add a parry function to the character. (Think Metal Gear Solid Revengeance.) That would add some strategy to the combat. Also, I think I mentioned it before, but you should have the camera pam, tilt, and zoom in for special attacks. You really should show off your models! I hope I have been helpful, I tried to be specific as possible for you. I would love to help beta if possible. I have some free time while updating my 3D portfolio.

Yeah we are looking into some slight changes in the camera, but a lot of that is just polish and super easy to do. The parry function on the other hand is another animal. It could easily work well, but look really bad in motion, or vice versa, not to mention all the different enemy types and all the code involved for something like to work is crazy, but who knows. Those are just the sort of things that are incredibly difficult, not impossible though. As always good stuff darkmanx, thanks

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 04:43:20 AM »
fireswell looks better now. I have to congratulate you guys, because you are creating something interesting. The wind blowing, the background noises, the interface design... all is consistent. even being a pre-alpha, there's an obscure atmosphere in your game i found enjoyable. I liked the design of the dialogue boxes. I know I'm asking too much, but would be great if you could add voice to the dialogues.

Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes distant camera is something i am thankful for. I found it annoying when the zoom goes in and out all the time, but totally agree with darkmanx about the parry function

Thank kaonstantine! I'm glad the style speaks to you.. Voicing dialogue isn't totally out of the question, but I would need an actual budget probably haha

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
Character in our demonic hierarchy, he is a middle rank, "Rythan"

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
Character in our demonic hierarchy, he is a middle rank, "Rythan"

Very nice, especially the wings! What's the tri-count?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
Wow, so cool and professional looking :o
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything