Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Headcanon Thread  (Read 13179 times)

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 04:33:34 AM »
+1
Mathias Cronqvist: Mathias is not Dracula. Instead Mathias disappears at the end of LoI and reappears much later on as King Matthias Corvinus of Hungary.

Did you come up with that yourself or did I inspire you?  ;D

In my head-canon, Mathias is indeed Dracula, however... it's a little convoluted.  Irl, the real Vlad was imprisoned for some time by Matthias Corvinus.  Head-canon says that this is Cronqvist, and that Matthias had at this point lost interest in ruling Hungary for whatever reason (gonna go with the idea that he discovered the reincarnation of Elisabetha in Wallachia and nothing else mattered after that), and so he ensorcelled Vlad and outright swapped places with him years before the irl date of Vlad's imprisonment.  Corvinus remained his puppet for some time, and the 'imprisonment' was not truly an imprisonment at all; in fact, Dracula was still in Wallachia building up a vast force to attack humanity because at this point Lisa had been murdered.

Irl, Vlad had three children.  He had one child with his first wife (Mihnea the Evil One) and two with Ilona Szilagyi, cousin of Corvinus; one of those was Vlad IV, and the other was an unknown child who supposedly died very young.  Since Lisa is the first wife in my head-canon, that means a little more history re-writing is in order.  Alucard is the oldest child, but he was outright written out of history, all details about him lost to those outside the vampire-hunting circle, and of course many of the baddies know at least a little about him.  In fact it is because of what happened to Lisa that the facts became so skewed; the people who murdered Dracula's wife trying to erase any hand they had in rousing the wrath of Dracula.  It helps that we can infer that Alucard more or less went into total seclusion after what happened; it would be easy to argue that Dracula's son was dead if he was never seen about.  So Alucard in history became a younger son that died of illness, in order to hide the wrongs that humans had committed against Dracula's family in an attempt to make him unsympathetic.

As for the two other sons, Ilona and Vlad had a marriage of convenience irl.  So I've turned her into a demon because I'm mean.  In my head-canon Dracula has two younger, half-demon half-vampire children: Mihnea the Evil One and Vlad IV.  Mihnea made attempts at continuing his father's war against humanity, and was assassinated by vampire hunters of your choice under orders from the church in Sibiu.

As for Vlad IV, there's not much to work with historically.  I'm gonna say Mihnea killed him.

Nocturne of Recollection: I believe Alucard and Lyudmil had some sort of relationship greater than a master and a servant. Alucard and Maria would not have children (due to Allie being so afraid of passing his bloodline), but there is a possibility of adoption.

I second this, particularly the latter bit.  Alucard, imo, has never passed on his genes, believing his bloodline to be cursed.  However, it's obvious that the Lecardes have some sort of connection to him and to Maria- I mean, come on... >_> - so the Lecardes are actually the descendents of their adopted child(ren) which also explains the wonky surname.

There's a ton more to my head-canon but I've got to work... er... later today and I haven't slept yet, so... another time.

EDIT: Zomg, how could I have forgotten my time-line head-canon notes?!  Hang on a sec; sorry for the double-post I'm about to make.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 04:55:53 AM »
+2
So these are some random notes I've jotted down; I've never put them together coherently.  I should really do that...

(click to show/hide)

My thoughts are somewhat nebulous and I can't quite decide how I like the Dracula-Vlad-Corvinus thing to be so it comes out differently almost every time I write it down. XD

Anyway, that's as far as I got with trying to lay down my head-canon thoughts.

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »
+1
Grant is dead.  While you can fight his monster form and restore sense to the guy, you can't change the fact that Dracula killed him and its his spirit that's accompanying Trevor.

Many people have heard about "The Wizard Belnades," who lives somewhere out in the dark forest.  Some say he's evil, some say he's a force of good, Almost all would agree that he's immortal.  They would be wrong.  "The Wizard" is actually part of a family that's been practicing magic for generations and the people of Transylvania have simply assured it's the same person.  Sypha is the last of her family.  In order to keep up appearances, she wears a heavy cloak to hide her features and uses a minor disguise spell to make her appear as an old man when she has t interact with others. 

Alucard's hair and skin ahve gone white because he hasn't been drinking his blood.  Yeah, the albino look is because he's malnourished.  Back in 3 when he was still reluctantly working for Dracula he was more willing to drink the blood of others so he appeared younger and healthier.  Dracula sometimes appears like this as well shortly after he's been resurrected because he hasn't had time to feat and fully regain his appearance. 

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »
Did you come up with that yourself or did I inspire you?  ;D

Naw. I had heard about this theory on the internet for quite some time now. And to me it's a lot easier to accept then IGA's explanation for Dracula. The Word 'Dracula' is nothing more then a title which comes from 'Dracul'; a Romania title, and I don't think IGA knew this. Did Mathias have a father called Dracul? I highly doubt it and we know absolutely nothing about him. So in hindsight Mathias can't be Dracula because there was no one who came before him with the title of Dracul. And Mathias is not a member of the order of the Dragon (order of the Dracul). Both he and Leon were from France if I'm not mistaken and the French church authorities don't have an order of the Dragon. It is strictly Romanian.

I suppose I should have put this in my first post, lol.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 04:29:15 PM »
Just some food for thought:

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
What gives you the idea Leon and Mathias are from France? If they were, the whole bit from CV3 about the Belmonts being exiled from their homeland wouldn't make any sense.

The Order of the Dragon doesn't exist in the CV-verse since Vlad II and III don't either. Dracul also means 'devil', so the name Dracula still makes sense in context with the games.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »
Pfff ALL of the Dracula theories here are better than IGA's Pussyas=Dracula :P

The Order of the Dragon doesn't exist in the CV-verse since Vlad II and III don't either. Dracul also means 'devil', so the name Dracula still makes sense in context with the games.
No it doesn't. IGA thinks Dracula = Devil and that's not true.

Everything comes full circle

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 05:25:27 PM »
Dracula means son of the Dragon, but when people typically see the name Dracula, they associate it with an evil being/vampire. So IGA isn't necessarily wrong in saying that.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
Dracula means son of the Dragon, but when people typically see the name Dracula, they associate it with an evil being/vampire. So IGA isn't necessarily wrong in saying that.
Yeah I think the interpretation is not supposed to be semantic.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 07:46:39 PM »
+1
What gives you the idea Leon and Mathias are from France? If they were, the whole bit from CV3 about the Belmonts being exiled from their homeland wouldn't make any sense.

The name 'Belmont' is french apparently. It translates to "beautiful mountain". I've also looked up the title of Baron in different European countries and Romania does not appear on the list. Leon, during the LoI intro story is wearing French nobleman's outfit. Also isn't Walter Burnard's Castle situated in France somewhere? In terms of the CV 3 connection, Romainia is home to the Belmonts of that period in history, but that doesn't mean that they did not dwell in another land in the past. We know not of Mathias' home country as it is not mentioned so I'm guessing with him on this.

The title's 'Dracul' (The Dragon) and 'Dracula' (Son of the Dragon) have nothing to do with the Devil. That was entirely a church thing. They no not of the old ways and knowledge of spirituality. Dragons are not evil to begin with and are historically linked with the serpent or snake (a world renowned, ancient deity of fertility and creation).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:49:39 PM by X »
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 02:58:36 AM »
No it doesn't. IGA thinks Dracula = Devil and that's not true.

He's partially correct. Putting 'son of the' before 'devil' doesn't render its meaning nonsensical in the CV-verse. Either way, Mathias basically calls himself the anti-christ. That's also pretty much what Dracula, so the name fits perfectly.

The name 'Belmont' is french apparently. It translates to "beautiful mountain". I've also looked up the title of Baron in different European countries and Romania does not appear on the list. Leon, during the LoI intro story is wearing French nobleman's outfit. Also isn't Walter Burnard's Castle situated in France somewhere? In terms of the CV 3 connection, Romainia is home to the Belmonts of that period in history, but that doesn't mean that they did not dwell in another land in the past. We know not of Mathias' home country as it is not mentioned so I'm guessing with him on this.

The title's 'Dracul' (The Dragon) and 'Dracula' (Son of the Dragon) have nothing to do with the Devil. That was entirely a church thing. They no not of the old ways and knowledge of spirituality. Dragons are not evil to begin with and are historically linked with the serpent or snake (a world renowned, ancient deity of fertility and creation).

Not too sound harsh, but I think you cling too much to historical facts when you really shouldn't.We know the series plays fast and loose with them almost all the time. Every game is a walking contradiction to the time period they are set in. It seems  more likely to me the events of Lament take place around Wallachia somewhere. Regardless, Leon still has a French name and French knight apparel but the setting is still supposed to be eastern Europe. The Ghostly Theatre has several paintings of a style that wasn't used until much later, not to mention the things they depict are from completely different countries and times. I could list tons of other examples. When you really start to break things down, it all falls apart pretty quickly. You should accept how things are presented and not try to rationalise it by trying to make it fit 100% with real history. That's not what the series set out to do. If you keep thinking that way you just get frustrated when things don't line up when they really aren't supposed to.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 03:21:36 AM »
Léon and Mathias are also French names. Belmont is somwhat French ("belle montagne" meaning "beautiful mountain").

Offline Dominus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »
Just like Bram Stoker's Dracula, Carmilla's novel events are canon. In the end Carmilla didn't get Laura, but she renamed all her "favorites" after her to honor her afterwards. Which is why we have several Lauras in PoR and DXC

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 08:51:52 PM »
Not too sound harsh, but I think you cling too much to historical facts when you really shouldn't.We know the series plays fast and loose with them almost all the time. Every game is a walking contradiction to the time period they are set in. It seems  more likely to me the events of Lament take place around Wallachia somewhere. Regardless, Leon still has a French name and French knight apparel but the setting is still supposed to be eastern Europe. The Ghostly Theatre has several paintings of a style that wasn't used until much later, not to mention the things they depict are from completely different countries and times. I could list tons of other examples. When you really start to break things down, it all falls apart pretty quickly. You should accept how things are presented and not try to rationalise it by trying to make it fit 100% with real history. That's not what the series set out to do. If you keep thinking that way you just get frustrated when things don't line up when they really aren't supposed to.

No harshness here so your all good  ;)

But in terms of historical accuracy, Castlevania does come pretty close. Close enough that I don't really have to put in a whole lot of effort to make the connections and suppositions. Castlevania did start out as a horror spoof with many elements converging into one game. But ever since then the series has kept on growing, and the story has become more complex, there's just really no way that you can avoid make historical references with it now because it's now apart of the series. IGA is mainly responsible for introducing many bits of real-life history into the series so you can hold it to him for that.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »
No harshness here so your all good  ;)

But in terms of historical accuracy, Castlevania does come pretty close. Close enough that I don't really have to put in a whole lot of effort to make the connections and suppositions. Castlevania did start out as a horror spoof with many elements converging into one game. But ever since then the series has kept on growing, and the story has become more complex, there's just really no way that you can avoid make historical references with it now because it's now apart of the series. IGA is mainly responsible for introducing many bits of real-life history into the series so you can hold it to him for that.
I disagree, IGA was the one who introduced many anachronisms. As prevoiously said, the outfits simly don't fit the era, and, for giving an easy example, the clock was not invented until 1227 yet there is a clock tower in LoI. Things like Ramen, for example, were unheard of in the 1600, some weapons are also introcuded before their invention and so on, Castlevania is not a series to like for its historical accuracy, it's more of an artistic representation of a vision than a documentary.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:03:51 PM by Ahasverus »

Tags: