Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Addams Family  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
+1
So, basically we have these games:

* The Addams Family (NES). Released for Master System and some other platforms.
* The Addams Family (Game Boy). A little like the NES version but with different stages and music. Released for some other rare platforms like ZX Spectrum, IIRC.
* The Addams Family (SNES). Released for Genesis too.
* Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (NES, SNES).
* Fester's Quest (NES).
* Addams Family Values (SNES).
* The New Addams Family (GBC).

I am a HUGE fan of both movies, including their soundtracks.
I LOVE the NES and SNES versions of Addams Family. But I reckon the control of the character, especially in the 16 bits version, is mediocre at best. I replayed the NES one some months ago, and the SNES one this last weekend.
Apart from that 2 games, I find the other ones not worthy of the Addams Family brand, with the only exception maybe of the Game Boy one, which I'll be replaying soon.

About the movies, as I said, I love both ones, and the 3rd movie, just as the new series and the cartoon, is a mess.
The old series are not bad, though.

What are your opinions on these games?
And what about movies and series?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:18:58 PM »
+2
There's also an Addams Family pinball game, but it was an actual pinball machine, and is one of the legendary pinball games of it's time. But it's no Medieval Madness for sure. ;)

Now as for the games, I go against the grain and only care for Fester's Quest for the NES. It's challenging, it frustrates many people, makes them rage to the point of hating the game. But the devs did their jobs, they aimed for challenging, they got it. The music is also typical Sunsoft, awesome.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:20:37 PM by Bloodreign »

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »
Yeah, I remember that pinball machine in my town!  ;D
And yes, if there's something I like about Fester's Quest it's the typical Sunsoft music!
I just love that sound! Gremlins 2, Batman 2, both for the NES, are AWESOME!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
+1
Gremlins 2, I wish that I've never traded this cartridge as a kid  :'(
You dislike even the old Addams cartoon? The oldest one was cool IMO, the new (new as in 199x or even before lol) was boring.

Im happy that you did a topic about this, since our recently humor posts have remembered me about this series, but I didnt had a real content to show. Now I can rest more peacefully lol

I dont even remember what I wanted to show anymore, but when I saw this thread my eyes grown big.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »
I haven't played it yet, but Addams Family Values on the SNES looks like a lot of fun. I remember it getting good reviews in GameFan. Looks a bit like Fester's Quest (an all right game) only more polished.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »
I liked AFV. Felt kinda like a mix between FQ and the SNES Kikikaikai games (some of the areas almost felt like ripoffs to me). Aside from the lack of aliens, I always figured AFV was supposed to be FQ's sequel or at least sister game. Guess lightning bolts aren't the same as a gun, though... The controls did get on my nerves at times and the music wasn't memorable for me, but I still enjoyed it when I played it.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »
I am a HUGE fan of both movies, including their soundtracks.

What about the old black & white TV series? I've seen some episodes and Lurch is always a hoot whenever he's on camera. Then there was a newer Addams Family series that aired back in the late 90's I think but i never really got into it.

"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
Am I the only one that liked Festers Quest? It was kinda like a full game of Blaster Masters top down segments! I used to rent it all the time from the lil video store by my house when I was like... 10

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »
Am I the only one that liked Festers Quest? It was kinda like a full game of Blaster Masters top down segments! I used to rent it all the time from the lil video store by my house when I was like... 10

I loved Fester's Quest! I don't know how the game holds up today but back in those days I thought it was awesome :D And oh my, dat soundtrack!

Other than that, I'm mostly familiar with the SNES version of the Adams Family. That game was hard as f**k IMO. The levels seemed a bit drawn out at times too. But it was very atmospheric and pretty fun. It's almost a Metroidvania when you think about it...

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
+1
Im happy that you did a topic about this, since our recently humor posts have remembered me about this series, but I didnt had a real content to show. Now I can rest more peacefully lol

I dont even remember what I wanted to show anymore, but when I saw this thread my eyes grown big.
Yeah... my twisted and perverted sense of humour has its roots in Addams Family, I guess.
Even when I still wasn't so big a CV fan, I still loved those movies as a little girl, and I always said to everyone that the Addams Family house was the house of my dreams.
To be honest, now I would still choose it, but it have some competitors... maybe the Addams house in Cordova Town.

You dislike even the old Addams cartoon? The oldest one was cool IMO, the new (new as in 199x or even before lol) was boring.
It's OK, what I tried to get into but never could is The New Addams Family cartoon.

What about the old black & white TV series? I've seen some episodes and Lurch is always a hoot whenever he's on camera. Then there was a newer Addams Family series that aired back in the late 90's I think but i never really got into it.
Yes, the old series is fun! The one from the 90's is mediocre at best, it didn't capture the spirit of what is Addams Family, at least to me. What is really bad is the 3rd movie, Addams Family Reunion.

Both Addams Family and Addams Family Values (the movies) are masterpieces in my opinion.

About Fester's Quest and Addams Family Values, the problem is not that they are bad games. I think they are OK. The problem is they don't capture what Addams Family is to me. Kind of the same thing that happens to me with LoS, while many other people love it.
Maybe to people who consider different things than me when thinking of Addams Family, that games captures the essence. I am too big a fan of both movies and both 8 bits and 16 bits Addams Family games.
Maybe it's me.

Anyone played the Game Boy game? It has nice music and design, but it's super hard and it has no continues.

And the game for GBC, The New Addams Family, is pretty bad.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 09:47:30 PM »
It's OK, what I tried to get into but never could is The New Addams Family cartoon.

I remember that I disliked this cartoon as a kid, I've only truly enjoyed Addams Family when I've watched the old series and old cartoon.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »
I see someone's already mentioned the pinball machine. It was one of the greats, but I never loved it quite as much as the Indiana Jones machine.

And I (well, technically my sister owned it) had Fester's Quest on the NES. It was all right for the time, but not something I'd go back to.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 12:01:54 AM »
Anyone's a fan of the NES and SNES games of The Addams Family?

And what about the 1st and 2nd movies?

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 05:31:12 AM »
I liked the first movie cant really remember well enough if I liked the 2nd one or was just meh. Since I dont really remember Im leanin towards just meh. I need to watch em again tho cause its been years

Tags:

anything