Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania music you... didn't like  (Read 13931 times)

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:03:23 AM »
I know. If any one of us is here, I'd imagine it'd be to praise the extraordinary music the series has brought us, not denounce it.

Yet I'm almost certain that, somewhere in your distant memory, you'll find a particular tune, a particular track, one that might have felt... odd, that didn't quite fit, that you might not, in the end, have liked as well as the others.
And, on the other hand, if you need to be vocal about that abhorrent piece of music that you'd absolutely detested, go ahead and share. It's one of the few times you'll be able to.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »
I'll start by throwing my selection into the mix:

I could never really take to Harmony of Despair's soundtrack.
The composition might (or might not) have been decent, but it had been so marred by the dreadfully poor quality that all I could hear was a monotone mess of unpleasant tones. To be fair, it certainly did well to set the game's bleak, somber accents; it gave HoD a very particular sense of atmosphere that was unique to it. But over the course of the game's many areas and many tracks, the musical experience simply fell apart from the sheer tedium and repetitiveness of a soundtrack crippled by its heavy, cringe-worthy sound quality.
Much of the game's music had sacrificed any recognizable melodic sense; even when it was there, it was entirely hidden under the loud and aberrant background voices (the quality, again, didn't make it any better). After a few extended sequences of play, I was nearly considering turning the sound off.

The bottom line: after several hours of play, HoD's soundtrack sounded like musical mud.
Why? Most probably because the very specific sound Hokkai intended to achieve is far beyond the capabilities of the instruments he used to convey it. The result was a flat, muddled mess.

HoD does offer one or two nice tunes, though. I enjoyed Successor of Fate, while it lasted. Oh, and this:
Theme of Maxim Kischine - Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
I'd just stumbled on this recently. This manages to turn one of the game's worst tracks into something extraordinarily good. Again, the culprit here wasn't the composition at all: it's only the abhorrent sound quality. Thank you, Jorge, thank you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:42:52 AM by Intersection »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »
I think the only game that had the lowest points for music out of the entire original series in my mind was HoD. Not so much of the tunes themselves as I like some of them, but more 'n less the quality that was used. While I enjoy chip tunes Michiru Yamane's works require much more substance in her pieces, and having them in chip tune format was a near-death experience for the game. But I have to say that for me over all, LoS is the least liked for CV music.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 01:52:47 PM »
I think the only game that had the lowest points for music out of the entire original series in my mind was HoD. Not so much of the tunes themselves as I like some of them, but more 'n less the quality that was used. While I enjoy chip tunes Michiru Yamane's works require much more substance in her pieces, and having them in chip tune format was a near-death experience for the game. But I have to say that for me over all, LoS is the least liked for CV music.
Actually, Michiru Yamane didn't compose HoD's soundtrack. Most of the music was done by Shoshiro Hokkai.
Apparently, Yamane only worked on some of the tracks from the game's boss rush mode. Probably just a ploy to cite her name in the game's team.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
^^^
News to me  ???
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »
LoS music and "I am the Wind" from SotN.

^^^
News to me  ???

Its in the staff roll pal :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
Not many tracks I did not like in CV.

But one that comes to mind is "I am the wind" at the end of symphony of the night.

I remember being so impressed about everything in symphony after beating the game such as the gameplay,levels,and most of all great music, and then that song played at the end of the game and it felt so out of place.

So far the best end game music I have heard in a CV game is Lament of Innocence.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »
Its in the staff roll pal :P

I don't pay too much attention to the credits  :P  ;D

But one that comes to mind is "I am the wind" at the end of symphony of the night.

I remember being so impressed about everything in symphony after beating the game such as the gameplay,levels,and most of all great music, and then that song played at the end of the game and it felt so out of place.

I agree with this. I also felt that the ending theme of CoD didn't jive with the game itself either. I liked it even less then 'I am the wind'.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:20:29 PM by X »

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »
I know a lot of people didn't seem to like Graham's Battle Music from Aria of Sorrow:

castlevania aria of sorrow music graham battle

IMO I get it yes its supposed to be fast paced because its a boss battle but the tune in and of itself just seems way too scatterbrained and disorganized. Also, its not just cause its GBA Music either cause in Castlevania Legends how they remixed Vampire Killer to be the final boss battle worked far better IMO:

Castlevania Legends Music (Game Boy) - Vampire Killer (Final Battle)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
What happened with these guys from KCEN after Legends and Saturn SotN?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
+1
I love to death almost all CV music.
I didn't like HoD at first, but then I tried to understand what the composer tried to do, and I find a cool music that doesn't fit with CV, but now I can't imagine HoD without it, and I think it's cool to listen to. It's still one of my less favourite CV soundtracks.

That said, there's some things I don't like...

* LoS and MoF soundtracks. The only theme I like is the MS logo at the beginning.
* I am the Wind.
* One theme from CV 4 that is in major mode and doesn't fit with the game.

And I believe Simon's Theme, Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears are SUPER, SUPER, SUPER overrated. But I don't think they are bad. I'm just tired of them.

And now I prepare myself for the insults to come  :P
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
+1
I love to death almost all CV music.
I didn't like HoD at first, but then I tried to understand what the composer tried to do, and I find a cool music that doesn't fit with CV, but now I can't imagine HoD without it, and I think it's cool to listen to. It's still one of my less favourite CV soundtracks.
But I'm sure we all agree on that: Harmony of Dissonance wouldn't be the same without its own, idiosyncratic musical style.
Still, I remain convinced that Hokkai's composition would have far more successful if its audio quality hadn't been so limited. And I'm quite sure his music might have been even better if its orchestration had been slightly more... varied.

That said, there's some things I don't like...

* LoS and MoF soundtracks. The only theme I like is the MS logo at the beginning.
* I am the Wind.
* One theme from CV 4 that is in major mode and doesn't fit with the game.
Well, LoS and MoF are a different story. Personally, I don't exactly consider them to be Castlevania soundtracks. So I don't really list them here.

I am the Wind didn't exactly fit in SoTN. It didn't go well with the game's atmosphere, its spirit... or even the rest of its soundtrack. I think we all agree here.

SCIV? You'll have to tell me exactly what track you're speaking about. But I don't remember there being any track in that game that I didn't take to... It has what's probably my favorite Castlevania soundtrack to this day...

And I believe Simon's Theme, Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears are SUPER, SUPER, SUPER overrated. But I don't think they are bad. I'm just tired of them.

And now I prepare myself for the insults to come  :P
Ah, you're actually not alone there. Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears are great, lively themes that can really take hold of you in the heat of battle. But once you get down to the tunes themselves, they're rather simplistic. I love them, but they're not my favorites.
Now, as for Simon's Theme, I completely disagree with you. That theme is extraordinary... How dare you slander it? You imbecilic wretch! (Just kidding  ;D)

But hey: if you don't want to get insulted for you tastes, share them here! It's one of the few places where you're safe (well, at least as long as others don't follow my example).

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
Oh yeah! Call me dirty b**ch!  :P

**ties herself to the bed**

Hahaha!

Jokes aside, I know I'm the only one who's not fond of Simon's theme, and the reasons are the same of VK and BT.
I find the rest of the SCV4 soundtrack to be spectacularly atmospheric, with only one exception, there's one theme that sounds funny to me, and that's why I believe it doesn't fit in CV. When I return home I will check which one is it.

And yes, I can't imagine HoD without its soundtrack. But the sound quality is horrible.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 04:03:30 PM »
+1
Oh yeah! Call me dirty b**ch!  :P

**ties herself to the bed**

I will use this chance :P

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
I find the rest of the SCV4 soundtrack to be spectacularly atmospheric, with only one exception, there's one theme that sounds funny to me, and that's why I believe it doesn't fit in CV. When I return home I will check which one is it.

I think I know which tune you are referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn-PXpfSg4

Did I guess right? If so then don't worry so much about it. It was only for two secret areas and that's it.

Tags: