Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania RPG  (Read 11334 times)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
+1
That's kind of true. Though I generally play for both, and I think there are many who do the same. To me though, it's just a different kind of gameplay.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »
+1
RPG's are never played for the gameplay. The story is king there.
Don't people play Shin Megami Tensei for the buttrape difficulty?
Oh, and also pokeymans. Some wanna either catch 'em all or breed the ultimate killing fighting machine.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:42:40 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 12:23:41 AM »
+2
Well, Mario is also about platforming but they still managed to make three very good RPGs starring him. Super Mario RPG, Superstar Saga, and Paper Mario are definitely three successful conversions to the genre. It definitely can be done, it's all about execution. Those games are also good examples were the overall style of the series helps create an interesting and unique setting for a RPG.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »
Well, Mario is also about platforming but they still managed to make three very good RPGs starring him. Super Mario RPG, Superstar Saga, and Paper Mario are definitely three successful conversions to the genre. It definitely can be done, it's all about execution. Those games are also good examples were the overall style of the series helps create an interesting and unique setting for a RPG.
This. CV also has the perfect setting for a RPG.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 08:28:45 AM »
This. CV also has the perfect setting for a RPG.
How...?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 09:34:53 AM »

Konami isn't going to hire Square from the 1990's, so, I don't expect it to reach such a prestigious level. And it would certainly have to be of that quality to even work.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »
+1
When you think 'Castlevania', you don't exactly think 'traditional RPG'. Spinoffs can be great, but considering the shape the franchise is in, I'm not too keen on this kind of genre-hopping.
At this point, Castlevania needs focus more than anything else -- it's best to leave RPG 'Vania for another day.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:58 AM »
Sure why not.

Also check out this decent clip I dug up. Pretty old but I see where their heads were.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MTTGkHvfLqw
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania RPG
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »
Well, I think that a metroidvania is the closest we will ever get to a CVRPG. That being said, that doesn't mean a RPG can't be done. I could see creating a character. choosing a class (belmont, belnades, danasty) each with its own skill set. You choose said characters development. Different locations. Open world.

Yes, I know this sounds like elder scrolls, which has no platforming, but the different locations (demonic castles, graveyards, swamps, evil churches, etc.) can be in traditional CV fashion with platforming and enemies. In the 3rd person from behind in 3D or from the side in 2D makes no difference.

I just feels that it has potential if done right. Just no MMOs. CV heroes are meant to do things solo.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »

I just feels that it has potential if done right. Just no MMOs. CV heroes are meant to do things solo.
Solo?
PoR and CV3 would like to have a word with you
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 12:41:31 PM »
Konami isn't going to hire Square from the 1990's, so, I don't expect it to reach such a prestigious level. And it would certainly have to be of that quality to even work.

There are other developers that make great RPGs besides Square if you know where to look. But if you're not much of a fan of those kind of games then it probably wouldn't matter whoever made it. Konami also developed a few of them back in the day. Suikoden (have yet to play these admittedly), Esper Dream, Goemon Gaiden, and Boktai. So they wouldn't necessarily have to outsource.   

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
I love Boktai. It also was definitely not a turned based RPG. It was an action/puzzle title.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
+1
How...?

Saving the world from a god-like villain with giant monsters working for him.

All your really have to do is combine Cv2 (for towns) with all the others and BAM!, it's basically Final Fantasy.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 05:57:35 PM »
Solo?
PoR and CV3 would like to have a word with you

I think he was referring to single player games only and not multiple players in one game like the standard MMO. I'd have to agree with that too. CV is meant to be solo player game, but you can have more then one hero in your roster to choose from.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01:11 AM »

Tags: