Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: IGA's new project finally teased at PAX?  (Read 54710 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: IGA's new project finally teased at PAX?
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2014, 12:50:04 AM »
OSM's gif is now terribly ironic now. :(

Offline Akumajou Jason XX

• Hunter in Training
  • I've made a huge mistake.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2014, 01:09:23 AM »
+2
"Rape" might be a bit strong of a word, but yeah.  Lords of Shadow was shit and I'm glad it's finally over.
Braun is perhaps the world's leading expert in laser weaponry, and his presence in the Kavango means that the Soviet bloc is planning some sort of laser mission.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2014, 01:11:39 AM »
So much for the IGA renaissance. Video game industry, why do you suck?

Offline Akumajou Jason XX

• Hunter in Training
  • I've made a huge mistake.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2014, 01:24:24 AM »

$$$
Braun is perhaps the world's leading expert in laser weaponry, and his presence in the Kavango means that the Soviet bloc is planning some sort of laser mission.

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2014, 05:24:12 AM »
So now is up to Konami, god bless us. Next Castlevania in 30 years.

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2014, 08:25:10 AM »

Indeed it does sometimes.  "...worse than Persephone's vacuum" sometimes, as I've heard it said. :-P

I'm unable to work right now, but I was gonna dig through the neighborhood's couches if that's what I had to do to help fund his game!  Woulda been worth it!

So...does this mean that funny little picture (about a horrible night for a KS, or whatever exactly it said) wasn't IGA?  Or was something else?  Or...I guess that could be what was put on hold?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:46:37 AM by theANdROId »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2014, 08:29:04 AM »
I will be patient. Good things take time, if IGA knows what he's doing we just have to wait until he's good and ready.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »
It'd be nice if some rich patron would plop down a bunch of money for this game.  Video games are works of art, that's how art used to get funded.  Guess that's kinda what kickstarters are about.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
+1
Reading the IGN article, this quote caught my eye;

“Publishers want data” that he didn’t have. Igarashi also explained that publisher interests lie in cheaper indie games or blockbuster AAA — his game is in “a strange space that doesn’t fit in either of those.”

This perfectly illustrates my biggest grief with the industry at large today. It's absolutely depressing that games of the kind of caliber I grew up playing are now considered something lesser or completely irrelevant because of publishers. It should absolutely say something to everyone when the ex-director/creative producer of a famous IP can't find a suitable publisher despite his impressive portfolio/resume.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:28:53 AM by OSM »

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »
Igarashi is confident in himself and his audience. "I think I have a direct intuition of what my fans want. If I made it, the fans would definitely play it and enjoy it.”

This breakdown, while unfortunate, makes it sound like he didn't have his shit together as much as he thought he did when he left Konami. He basically left, striking it out on his own and immediately saying he'd give the fans his and our dream game...hot on the heels of the Might #9 craze. I think he should have kept his mouth shut if he didn't have any real cement to his statements. It gets his and our hopes up, only to have something like this happen which dashes them for the foreseeable future.

I don't blame him for taking work to make himself a living. He'd be stupid not to. However, he shouldn't have teased anything until he had a better idea of what he'd gotten himself into. With this new information....I hope it doesn't take another 5+ years for anything to actually develop. We'll still all be fans, of course....but it's, as others have stated, disheartening.

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2014, 05:32:15 PM »
It's absolutely depressing that games of the kind of caliber I grew up playing are now considered something lesser or completely irrelevant because of publishers. It should absolutely say something to everyone when the ex-director/creative producer of a famous IP can't find a suitable publisher despite his impressive portfolio/resume.

I don't think it's entirely the fault of publishers...I think it's also, in part, our fault.  Well, not our fault here, but many of the "modern gamer" generation.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2014, 02:44:56 AM »
This breakdown, while unfortunate, makes it sound like he didn't have his shit together as much as he thought he did when he left Konami. He basically left, striking it out on his own and immediately saying he'd give the fans his and our dream game...hot on the heels of the Might #9 craze. I think he should have kept his mouth shut if he didn't have any real cement to his statements. It gets his and our hopes up, only to have something like this happen which dashes them for the foreseeable future.

I don't blame him for taking work to make himself a living. He'd be stupid not to. However, he shouldn't have teased anything until he had a better idea of what he'd gotten himself into. With this new information....I hope it doesn't take another 5+ years for anything to actually develop. We'll still all be fans, of course....but it's, as others have stated, disheartening.

Maybe the issue was not doing it quickly enough after Mighty #9. I got the impression that the teaser ad's location meant IGA was teaming up with Comcept/Inafune to do it, though other interviews seem to indicate he's a bit of a loner in that regard.

I hope he does get some other help to get his campaign to hit it big. While I think IGA has a lot of fans that appreciated his games, there are just way more of that type of game due to Steam and even other Kickstarter stuff.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
Axiom Verger, Heart Forth Alicia, TimeSpinner, A.N.N.E, Chasm. Just some names to fill the need of these type of games.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2014, 07:12:04 AM »
This is a sad unexpected turn..I had very high hopes, after long time. IGA was on the way to make the DREAM, IGAvania that many of us love. I think Kickstarter is the way to go. I am ready to give money, more than usual for this game. It would be amazing to also have collaborations with Michiru Yamane and Ayami Kojima. There are so many possibilities. Order of Ecclesia was my last game that I enjoyed and I think it was excellent in every aspect.
Damn... You and I are the same in the way we think about CV games. OOE was actually my favourite game and from my perspective it was the last true CV game released. Maybe this is why I haven't completely beaten Albus mode yet, once I finish the game on the final mode and the hardest setting, then aside from going back to older games, I truly feel CV will be put to rest for me.

Btw, I was absent from the forum since ″the new reimagined Castlevania″ came out. I was and still am strongly against the LOS games, because of how they butchered/raped CV franchise. I always said what I thought and I got negative feedback here, so I didn`t post anymore. From the moment it was announced I said it was not really a CV game, Konami just gave it the CV name, its character names and such, but it was different in spirit and gameplay; ultimately it was a rape on CV series/story. Some of those games might be good for themselves, but Konami gave them the CV name just to sell better and make marketing/commercial impact with the reimagination of CV in a big way. I think it was sad for old fans, maybe it was interesting for new fans, but I realized CV was dead. That is just how I see it. After a few years of ″LOS saga″, I think there are more CV fans that would agree with me and gamers that would support IGA`s Kickstarter project.
LOS was a one trick pony, literally. One decent game which wasn't even really CV. It was a reimagining of CV merged with elements which made other game franchises good.

I accepted the death of CV, I made my peace..we do have old games and they are not going to disappear. I wish we get more 2D games that are similar to IGA`s games or old classic CVs. If IGA makes the game, I don`t care how it is called. I know what I liked about those games, it was either the atmosphere, the gameplay, the music, the artwork..so whatever the game is called, I hope one day it will come true. Someone should contact IGA and encourage him to go to Kickstarter.
I agree, without KS, Iga's Vania will die, or worse, be too prolonged like the 1999 game. Then when the hype dies, so will the game.

What can I say, I think up to OOE I always had that feeling that unboxing a new igavania was like opening a xmas gift. I never felt that strongly about games in my adult life, aside from with CV, the magic was always there and I felt like the franchise really connected with myself as a fan. Sadly, this is no longer, but I'm glad to have had this for the times I did in my life. I recall the absolute worst time in my life where igavania CV was there, it helped a lot. RIP my friend. To the best of times +

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline AxeLord

• Hector's #1 Fan
  • Hunter in Training
  • Where's the damn wall meat, Ellis?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
+1
You're all being overly dramatic. Give IGA time. I'm sure we'll hear something eventually. Hell, the LOS games are done, too - we might even hear something from Konami. Don't think that we're the only ones worried about our favorite franchise. Trust me, other fanbases are in worse shape than us. Castlevania is too important to Konami. They won't just let it die. I'm sure they realize that Metal Gear can't hold them over forever.
Roses are red,
violets are blue,
but enough talk -
have at you!

Tags:

anything