Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Happy Halloween! (Un)intentional unsettling moments in a CV game.  (Read 7666 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Obligatory thread because it's that time of the year again.

I remember in one of my fragmented memories from my childhood that I was absolutely terrified of CV64's game over screen. You don't actually see anything creepy except a violon dropped on the floor and the silhouette of what (supposedly) are tree branches. I used to think they weren't branches, but actually belonging to something that was standing outside the window. Unintentional psychological horror right there. 

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Happy Halloween! (Un)intentional unsettling moments in a CV game.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 04:38:24 AM »
+1
For intentional:

As for unintentional, CVII's game over music used to creep me out when I was five years old. But now that I'm six, it has less of an effect on me.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 05:36:18 AM »
bloody handprints following you across the wall in portrait of ruin

the paintings that momentarilly grab you in super castlevania

the harpies that momentarilly transport you into another dimension in haunted castle

giant eyeballs rolling towards you in belmonts revenge/adventure rebirth

pathway to legion in curse of darkness, you gradually traverse thru intestines

beelzebub in symphony.. straight up NIGHTMARE fuel right there folks

giant floor piano in dawn of sorrow for literally no reason

giant peeping eye in symphony

the confessional in symphony

pretty much the entirety of symphony is nothing but creepypasta

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »
When I was a kid, I was a little affraid of the Stage Screen on Dracula X for SNES, because of the mood, scenario and devil face.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:09:31 AM »
That's actually not a devil face although I can see someone saying that. If you look carefully you will see it is the head of a bat.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »

Even so it was creepy xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »
Hm, let´s see:

*Password music in CVII and Nightmare in CVIII when I was a child... That tracks are simply amazing, and for me they gave the perfect ambience to a CV game. When I hear it the first time in case of CVII, I write so fast the password, so I do not hear the track. The same case with Nightmare: I want to finish the stage ASAP.

*Legion fight in SoTN. Hearing the corpses/people screams was really spooky and awesome at the same time.

*Fighting a topless Medusa in SCIV... ´nuff said. (With all the policies in video games at that time).

*I can´t remember at this time where exactly is, but there is a pre-boss room in CVRoB that have a skeleton, that if you hit it, its goes to the wall and disapear... with not explanation to me. Add the music, and we have another unsettling moment.

*The fight with the Forgotten One from LoI. Beggining with the creepy sounds from the background before entering his room, and the whole fight against him/it.

*The whole Succubus part in SoTN. Hear the background music while fighting her is really awesome!!!

*In SoTN again, the music in the Abandoned Mine remind me alot (I dunno why) to music from a horror movie.

*The room before fighting Dracula and Death in PoR, with the image of the Dragon, the woman and the child... speechless...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:09:36 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
*The room before fighting Dracula and Death in PoR, with the image of the Dragon, the woman and the child... speechless...

Never noticed that image, this battle was so intense so that can be why xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »
+1
Never noticed that image, this battle was so intense so that can be why xD

That´s right pal, the battle against Dracula and Death is really intense :). The image that I mentioned appears in the hallway previous to the Throne Room (even in a secret room). I commented this image and why it gets so cool to me in a past thread.
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
Oh, so I need a better memory or new glasses haha.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Mike Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
Oh, so I need a better memory or new glasses haha.

Jeje, no problem dood :D.

Maybe is the fact that I recognize immediately the image in the game when I see it, so to me was easy to give a relation of the image to the passage from Revelation in the Bible... As I said before, I read that part in my childhood and since then its stay in my memory.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »
+1
you guys talking about this

i like it too, printed it out & put it on my wall lol. its eerily poetic, and can have various interpretations (aside from Revelations, the dragon could represent Dracula, the woman Lisa and the child Alucard)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 12:48:44 AM »
Thanks, this image brings vague memories, but something is coming to me now, it looks like more a sculpture than a portrait to me, so thats why I misunderstood it.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
castlevania 64 its share of moments, villagers without reflections, blood dripping from mary statues, creepy malus kid, and then the sheer terror of Franken-chain-saw.  then legacy of darkness had a panic inducing moment when the giant sea creature punctured a hole in the ship and it starts filling with water.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:22:22 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 10:17:14 PM »
O_o
...I always thought these things were cool, not creepy or unsettling! (I must be messed up! X-D)

Tags: