Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania 1999 DCW is complete!  (Read 12094 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 05:33:09 AM »
The greatest question I have to make here is: What in the freaking hell is my Dracula final boss sprite doing on this game without my permission?

I mean, it's cool to know people like it to the point of wanting to use it, but a simple PM asking me about it would've been nice.

I'm not even credited on this.

>:(

Yep. I noticed that too.

But you didn't make it open source during the end of that contest right? (I know alot of us was doing that...)

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Ericard

Re: Castlevania 1999 DCW is complete!
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 07:57:31 AM »
If the sprite doesn't have the name of the author, I guess we just forget about it...

Ericard

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 08:03:57 AM »
Specially considering that the sprite he's using is the effectless one, so it's not the one present on my Deviant Art, but the one at Pixel Joint or the one found here, both of which are 'pure', and both of which have a clear creator attached right behind them   >:(

Since you still are apparently clueless, the creator's preferred handle is "Emppixel". I *REALLY* wanted this sprite removed from the game, but since you probably won't do it, and I can't afford to chase you everywhere (but do not think this will slide so easily, as I have tracked where you dwell and your other usernames), I will kindly ask you to give credit where credit is due.

I repeat: THIS IS NOT NICE. People put effort on these things, and the ONLY job you had was to click on the link and see who made it, and you couldn't get this simple thing done. Try not to repeat it. Here at the Dungeon, your name and your game are already smeared because you couldn't spare two extra clicks and a PM.

Every day I understand more why Serio got so territorial with his sprites: All you have to do is ask, but this is simple rule is trampled, and later justified with cardboard-thick excuses. As VladCT put it majestically: These are not enough of good excuses. Not nearly enough.

About your game: It has Simon Belmont in it, and you call it DCW. It bears preciselly zero resemblance with anything that could evoke what DCW would be like (main one being the presence of Julius Belmont). Plus the title for the game itself (as per what the video shows) says nothing like the title that you flaunt here from time to time.

I don't get why the overly long names that you associate with it, and the link to your game is incredibly obfuscated for whatever draconian reason (or I am incredibly dumb, probably this). Plus, it seems to be nowhere as ready as you make it to be.

The gameplay itself seems quite solid, if a tad wonky. But that's mostly it, and the game doesn't show too much novelty or imagination beyond "buncha bosses strung together". In my humble opinion you could take it back to the kitchen and let it cook more, because it tastes raw. A beta of the true idea.

Care to elaborate a bit :) ?

The sprite is yours right? Next time if you create any sprite, just mark your name somewhere else. Also, this game is the pure story about Julius in 1999, the Simon Belmont is just a secret mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41EIhQs-W4.
Now your sprite already credited... thx.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:26:43 AM by Ericard »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 09:28:59 AM »
Care to elaborate a bit :) ?
It amuses me to see how some people can not even care about the work of other people, and use it in their own projects without the smallest credit, or even asking the original author. Even if the name isn't attached, a quick Google search woud have brought your name up.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »
It amuses me to see how some people can not even care about the work of other people, and use it in their own projects without the smallest credit, or even asking the original author. Even if the name isn't attached, a quick Google search woud have brought your name up.

THIS.

Still seems like he doesn't care...and didn't The Plot Twist say he wanted his sprite REMOVED.

Maybe some mods should remove these links and lock the thread until the issues are ironed out?

Ericard

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
THIS.

Still seems like he doesn't care...and didn't The Plot Twist say he wanted his sprite REMOVED.

Maybe some mods should remove these links and lock the thread until the issues are ironed out?

He did Great in his sprite, just no one will ever want to use it because only one page of his sprite isn't good enough to use. Can't even make the idle move naturally at all.. it's just for a good looking sprite..

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
He did Great in his sprite, just no one will ever want to use it because only one page of his sprite isn't good enough to use. Can't even make the idle move naturally at all.. it's just for a good looking sprite..

No one will ever want to use it EXCEPT you, apparently. Your excuses keep getting thinner and thinner.

If the sprite doesn't have the name of the author, I guess we just forget about it...

No, you freaking do not use it, because the author can surprise-attack you (like in this case) and cause you problems and demand his shit removed from the game. In the worst case scenario, he can demand a CEASE AND DESIST for his coptrighted work is being used without his permission, and fuck your shit up real nice.

The sprite is yours right? Next time if you create any sprite, just mark your name somewhere else. Also, this game is the pure story about Julius in 1999, the Simon Belmont is just a secret mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41EIhQs-W4.
Now your sprite already credited... thx.

The nerve.

Why would I want to keep watermarking my sprites when my name is clearly attached where the sprite is posted? Even if my name is there, there is something else:

But you didn't make it open source during the end of that contest right? (I know alot of us was doing that...)

Precisely. And there's a reason for that. I never said people could use it. So even if my name is there, you're still not allowed to use it.

Next time, FUCKING CLICK THE LINK TO SEE THE AUTHOR'S NAME INSTEAD OF DEMANDING HIM THAT HE MAKE HIS SPRITE EASIER FOR YOU TO STEAL WITHOUT HAVING TO CLICK TOO MUCH.

PLUS, I still don't see my handle credited anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:46:54 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »
No one will ever want to use it EXCEPT you, apparently. Your excuses keep getting thinner and thinner.

No, you freaking do not use it, because the author can surprise-attack you (like in this case) and cause you problems and demand his shit removed from the game. In the worst case scenario, he can demand a CEASE AND DESIST for his coptrighted work is being used without his permission, and fuck your shit up real nice.

The nerve.

Why would I want to keep watermarking my sprites when my name is clearly attached where the sprite is posted? Even if my name is there, there is something else:

Precisely. And there's a reason for that. I never said people could use it. So even if my name is there, you're still not allowed to use it.

Next time, FUCKING CLICK THE LINK TO SEE THE AUTHOR'S NAME INSTEAD OF DEMANDING HIM THAT HE MAKE HIS SPRITE EASIER FOR YOU TO STEAL WITHOUT HAVING TO CLICK TOO MUCH.

I pretty much agree with Twist on this.

And I am sorry, if you use his or any other sprite from any other person from our contests (Which you clearly knew about because there is crazy traffic now on our sprite contests now) without permission and even worse, still continually use it just to put in a half-baked game or otherwise knowingly knowing the creator has a problem with it, that's a pretty douche thing to do.

Shouldn't be such an issue to remove his sprite from your game and use another resource or hell, even ask nicely. That's a respect thing.

And heaven's no, not too many author's are going to spend extra time watermarking their work from thieves.  Because that's what it is. Yes, some creator's do it, but even in a professional environment albeit even a small one (like the game industry) your reputation is everything.

Something to think about man, is it worth people shunning away from your projects? What if you need help from someone in the future when you need something done for your game?

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
Perhaps it would be best to replace the sprite, there could be big issues due to this.

Ericard

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
Nevermind about it. It's just a picture. Just ONE piece of sprite. His name is credited, but nothing can be replace anymore.

Ericard

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »

The nerve.

Dude, take it easy! I said that your name is credited!
http://castlevaniafanon.wikia.com/wiki/Castlevania_LCD_Chronicles%281-bit_handheld%29

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 05:33:32 PM »
Why can a single sprite not be replaced? Are you not the author of the game? It is not difficult.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
Nevermind about it. It's just a picture. Just ONE piece of sprite. His name is credited, but nothing can be replace anymore.

Ericard, I think you're not grasping the issue here. You're acting all "for me it was Tuesday" on me, and you won't like what is brewing for you.

"It's just a picture" no, it's MY sprite, in which I spent FIVE HOURS to create. I don't have five hours to create sprites for contests, most of the time.

"Just ONE piece of sprite" but you seem to be INCREDIBLY bothered that I demanded that you remove it. "It's just a sprite, but I don't want to remove it".

"Nothing can be replaced anymore" I couldn't give HALF A FLYING TURD about what can or cannot be done. My sprite is there, and I didn't allow for it.

You credited me in the WRONG place with the WRONG handle (I was VERY clear about what handle you should use). One more proof that you can't be bothered to click once or twice to know your shit.

piscesdreams already spelled it out quite nicely: It can be done. But thing is: You can't be bothered. If you can't be bothered, I won't be bothered shut my mouth about your game's reputation and yours all over the place for months to come, using this thread to demonstrate how shitty is your behavior towards content that you didn't make when the creator of said content shows up.

It's just game, isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:50:28 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 05:47:43 PM »

Weren't we all saying, "Use it, but credit me," or am I misunderstanding how stuff works?  I guess those quotes would only be seen if someone thinking to use them spent some time reading that thread or searching for the owner of a particular sprite?  (Though it does just seem like common sense [however uncommon it actually is] and proper etiquette to do such a search.)

Maybe from here on out we could/should some sort of "tag"...well I guess that wouldn't work either.  I was gonna say have a line saying, "Do not use" or "Use with permission" or whatever by the sprites (not a watermark...just with the sprite when we post) but it would have the same problem...someone would have to search to find them.  Google could (I guess) bring up the image without said line to inform them.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
Hmm...yeah, I think I understand why people might get worked up, though in the future please don't shout with extra large text--just PM me or another mod if an issue like this comes up and we'll try to deal with it quickly.

However, yes, Plottwist has my backing here, and I'm sure the rest of the mod team is on his side too. Ericard, even if you give credit where it's due (which is good), you still shouldn't use a sprite or any other resource without the creator's permission (which is bad). If plottwist doesn't want his sprites used, then don't use them--I don't think it should be hard for you to change. I'm not going to lock this thread *yet,* but I *will* talk to Jorge and my fellow mods about this, and I *will* ask you to remove the sprites Plottwist wants you to remove and make sure you have permission to use any other resources that may have come from other people in your work.

Now, I'm trying to be cool about this, so I very much hope you'll comply with these reasonable requests, Ericard. However, the administration feels very strongly about respecting other people's work and not being a jerk about using other people's stuff without their approval. My mod colleagues and I feel the same way. Let's try to resolve this situation peacefully and amicably, but we're willing to put our collective feet down if we have to.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44