Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: C Belmont 3D modeling WIP  (Read 8676 times)

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
C Belmont 3D modeling WIP
« on: March 07, 2015, 05:06:59 AM »
I'm going to try and use this topic to post any WIP Castlevania related 3d modelling I do that is unrelated to the 3d competitions.

First up I'm going to have a go at modelling Sonia's head, here is a crude model sheet I threw together before I start the actual modelling in blender.

The only reason I didn't put this in the main 3D topic is because I don't want to clog it up with  a lot of WIP images, if you would prefer I put all my stuff there in future just let me know.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: C Belmont 3D modeling WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:56:47 AM »

started the modelling, still trying to figure out the overall topology I want to use.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:29:09 AM »
It looks good from here. At least she looks more like Sonia Belmont then her CG counterpart in Resurrection did. Do you think you could increase the amount of polygons to lessen the squared-off parts and help smoothen her look a bit?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 06:38:46 PM »
Do you think you could increase the amount of polygons to lessen the squared-off parts and help smoothen her look a bit?
What you see in the screenshot is actually just the low poly wire frame, I have a subdivision modifier on the mesh that doubles the number of polygons and smooths out the overall shape. There are some areas I still need to add extra geometry to though.

took a bit of a break from any actual modelling and had play with creating her eyes and a toon material.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 06:55:43 PM »
The interface you're using looks like Blender to me. If it is, are there any tutorials that you recommend? The only ones I can find are for the Mac version which doesn't help me since all the hotkeys are mapped to different buttons apparently.

As far as the 3D modeling itself goes, I like it. The proportions so far seem correct with her face, and it looks like it's got this cel-shading style you'd see in anime fighters goin' on it (dunno if that was intentional or not). Can't really judge too much off of what you have but I am looking forward to seeing more of it as you progress.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:50:43 PM »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 08:02:29 PM »
yep it's Blender, in regards to tutorials I can't really think of any I would recommend right now but I would advise you not to limit yourself to just Blender tutorials. With modelling after you know the basic tools you should be able to adapt most tutorials to whatever 3d software your using.

If it helps the main shortcuts I find myself using are these:

A - select all /deselect
C - Circle select - middle mouse wheel increases the radius
B - rectangle select
E - extrude
W - brings up a list of special actions  - I use this to subdivide and merge
K - Knife tool - lets you make cuts in a mesh, remember to hit enter to apply the cut.
F - creates a face from a selection
Space - Brings up a little search bar where you can type in the name  of the action you want to perform and it will try and find it - it also shows you the shortcut to perform the action.

For everything else I just use the corresponding button on the interface.
One other thing I do though is change "select with' to left under file menu, user preferences in the input tab because it just doesn't feel right using right click to select something.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:27:21 PM by C Belmont »

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:23:36 PM »
This might be relevant to your interests.

Definitely
I've actually been keeping a keen eye on that thread for a while now, It hasn't been mentioned there yet but you can find english slides from the GDC presentation on a few Japanese sites already that elaborate on Guilty Geard Xrd's art process even more.

Unfortunately I don’t think all of that can be done in Blender though.
If Autodesk hadn't ditched Softimage I would probably be seriously considering saving up for it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 10:40:53 PM »
Still like what you've done so-far. Can't wait to see how the whole thing will look like when it's finished.  ;)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:51:15 PM »
yep it's Blender, in regards to tutorials I can't really think of any I would recommend right now but I would advise you not to limit yourself to just Blender tutorials. With modelling after you know the basic tools you should be able to adapt most tutorials to whatever 3d software your using.

Well, it's the fact that the 3D program I have is Blender, I just don't have a clue how to use it. I've never done 3D modelling before but I've always wanted to get into it. Blender tutorials are probably the best place to start if I'm learning how to use Blender, after all. :P

This might be relevant to your interests.

I will look at that, thanks.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 12:00:50 AM »
That wasn't really directed towards you since it's more about how Guilty Gear Xrd looks the way it does with its anime-styled faux-2D 3D, but eh, feel free to look into it if you want.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:05:05 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 12:29:46 AM »
Well, it's the fact that the 3D program I have is Blender, I just don't have a clue how to use it. I've never done 3D modelling before but I've always wanted to get into it. Blender tutorials are probably the best place to start if I'm learning how to use Blender, after all. :P

hah ha sorry about that
If you want to learn the basics of Blender you could try a site called Blender Cookie, it's subscription based but it's also peppered with a few free tutorials one of which is a introduction for beginners
http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/blender-basics-introduction-for-beginners/
http://cgcookie.com/blender/category/tutorials/getting-started/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:33:16 AM by C Belmont »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 03:43:37 AM »
Id say blender is NOT the 3d program to use if youre just gettin started. Its interface and interaction with the program is totally outside standard conventions that most windows based programs follow. Ive used 3dsmax for years and still dont really know all the ins and outs and how to use all the tools but the few times Ive used blender I can barely operate the camera

Im not sayin its bad software or its not good at what it does... Im just sayin its its own special breed of program thats for sure and if I were starting out with no experience whatesoever with 3d modeling I wouldnt want my mindset and "way it works" methods to be dictated by Blender if I ever planned to move to any other 3d software

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 06:17:33 AM »
Dude next time, just post this in the 3D Section.

Works in process  and finished work is exactly what I want in there! lol

Mod's can you move this thread to there?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:25:29 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 09:36:56 AM »
C Belmont didn't put it in the 3D section because he didn't want to clutter up the thread with a bunch of WIP stuff. He already mentioned this in the first post. Plenty of time to put a beta and or finalized piece in the 3D section when all's said and done.

Tags:

anything