Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Froggy Froggy Owl Girl and the Dude with Elvis Hair  (Read 199 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Can't stop listening to Oonagh music
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
Froggy Froggy Owl Girl and the Dude with Elvis Hair
« on: July 02, 2020, 10:42:47 AM »
How do you feel about when Castlevania abandoned all of its remaining pretensions of being gothic horror (Soma was kinda straddling the border but he still had some of those classical elements) and turned itself into a full-blown shounen anime cartoon by introducing Jonathan and Charlotte?

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Froggy Froggy Owl Girl and the Dude with Elvis Hair
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
It didn't abandon the gothic horror genre, Order of Ecclesia made that very clear. PoR was made in an effort to draw in a younger crowd, but despite that, it still maintained its clear gothic horror elements. That said, I missed Kojima's art style, to be sure, and I think neither Jonathan, nor Charlotte, nor Brauner are amazing characters. Good, but not amazing. I think PoR the weakest of the three DS games, but it's still very, very good.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 05:44:34 AM »
JONATHAN

CHARLOTTE

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Can't stop listening to Oonagh music
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 04:34:52 PM »
See DraculaCronqvist? Two replies in and we've already hit the anime memes.

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »
See DraculaCronqvist? Two replies in and we've already hit the anime memes.

Well, I mean, we don't *have* to discuss this subject with any seriousness. I just assumed you wanted to.  ;)
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 10:48:57 AM »
+1
In terms of the look of the series, the horror/Gothic theme has always been there. Even during the classic series. I think it's more 'n less an issue with the writing that demonstrates whether or not CV loses its horror/Gothic theme from time to time.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:27:53 AM »
I'm ready to accept any manga-styled Castlevania like Portrait of Ruin and much worse, as long as it stays away from Judgment. The former didn't burn my eyes 1% of what the latter did.

Tags:

anything