Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Valis Games  (Read 10612 times)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 01:47:38 AM »

Then 4 was like Rondo of Blood, with two different characters AND receiving a port for SNES, where this said character isn't playable and the game is very different.

4 had THREE playable characters in it, 2 females, and one male who was the father of one of the villains I believe if memory serves me correctly. Valis 3 and 4 definitely kick a lot of ass. Second game on PCE CD oddly was the first  made for the system, and IMO the weakest of them all. First game, then 3 and 4 came after, and feel far more fluid and overall better.

SNES IV had 2 missing playable characters, and levels and cutscenes and story axed, something to this day that still irks me, even though I love that version too (got the SFC version). I pretty much dub it a different game, despite what the cart says on it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
SNES IV had 2 missing playable characters, and levels and cutscenes and story axed, something to this day that still irks me

I have to wonder if the reasons of what happened to Valis IV are the same reasons as to why SNES Dracula X was butchered the way it was.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
Wasn't Valis IV on the PC Engine as well? I think that platform had more space for stuff than the SNES did.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
Wasn't Valis IV on the PC Engine as well? I think that platform had more space for stuff than the SNES did.

It was on the PC engine. But the only thing that porting it over to the SNES would have sacrificed would be the large stuff, such as the voice acting and CD quality sound files. Like Rondo, I do believe the game could have been successfully ported over to the SNES. It just wouldn't have the aforementioned.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »
I have to wonder if the reasons of what happened to Valis IV are the same reasons as to why SNES Dracula X was butchered the way it was.

Even though I rate Dracula X, one has to wonder. It seems SNES didn't like multiple playable characters for a few games. Example: Final Fight Guy
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 02:37:06 AM »
I got Valis for the Genesis from Amazon last week...I think it's due to show up in my mailbox within a few days.  :D  Can't wait to play it.

(I also have my eye on a composite-to-HDMI adapter to make my Genesis games look less muddy on my TV, but I gotta wait until I get more "amazon bux" from surveys until I can buy that. It's pretty amazing how great the Genesis looks once you get away from composite and RF connections.)
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 07:53:43 AM »
I got Valis for the Genesis from Amazon last week...I think it's due to show up in my mailbox within a few days.  :D  Can't wait to play it.

(I also have my eye on a composite-to-HDMI adapter to make my Genesis games look less muddy on my TV, but I gotta wait until I get more "amazon bux" from surveys until I can buy that. It's pretty amazing how great the Genesis looks once you get away from composite and RF connections.)

Nice! It's a charming game, if I can use that word  ;D Never tried out a modded Genesis, but I've played Genesis games on the Ouya (anyone remember that failure) through HDMI and it did look pretty damn awesome, but can't beat the original hardware 8)

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 12:28:32 AM »

An absolute must since you're getting the first game, get part 3 as well, it is essential gaming. You can either get or skip on Syd, it's jumping mechanics will make you tear your hair out. Yuuko's jumping is very, very floaty, though she can turn an ice cream cone into a sword, so it has some awesomeness to it, plus you can get other outfits to make her wear in battle.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 02:01:59 AM »
Many thanks for the info. Cheers  :)
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »
No problem, glad to see others getting into the series.

*now waits for the value of the series to skyrocket, not a problem for me since I own them all....except the PCE CD games :O*

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 07:07:05 AM »
No problem, glad to see others getting into the series.

*now waits for the value of the series to skyrocket, not a problem for me since I own them all....except the PCE CD games :O*

Same! It shouldn't have been forgotten, and I hate how they moved to the hentai route later on. And like you said, skip Syd: It's the worst in the series. If you want the Valis 2 story, emulate the X68000 or PC98 versions. Valis 1 & 2 on the old PCs had a interesting art style, reminds me of manwha.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 07:08:39 AM »
On sort of a side note, I'll admit it's not the worst, but my least favorite is the PCE version of 2. The graphics are gross despite having cool colors, the gameplay is so stop and go, later levels pretty much force you to have weapons that you'll lose if you die, the levels are overly long, but my biggest issue is how bad the story was executed. Valis 2 on PCs is my 2nd favorite game because of it's story and cutscenes. V2 PCE's story was edited to be more acceptable to general audiences, which I have no problem with, but certain plot points are changed for the worst, and Megas became a terrible villain in this redux. In the PC, he took no BS, was a powerful af force, and did things to scar Yuko and humiliate her. In the PCE version, he's a POS villain, and the story has no emotion in it. I'll accept Syd's plot becuase it was a parody, but PCE was a serious attempt to make the story more acceptable, and it was executed horribly. So boring and annoying gameplay combined with a butchered version of a great story piss me off. I know it has it's fans, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I just can't stand the game. Done ranting, let's enjoy the series  ;D

Tags:

anything