Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Cloud in Smash Bros  (Read 14495 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
I have no problem with Cloud but I'd rather of had Crono. Also Konami doesn't have a character in this yet and so there's still a chance. Though they could bring Snake back and I'd be ok with too.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
-Cloud won the Smash Ballot, so there's that (citation needed).

-There are rumors that Nintendo is attempting to get FFVII HD on the NX, but with Sony trying to snag it as exclusive (and likely to be one), this is a tough rumor.

-Cloud brings in all the FFVII fanboys and their dollars.

As much as it pains me to say it, Cloud is, for all intents and purposes, the best representation of "Final Fantasy".  In the past, it may have been Fighter ("Warrior of Light") in full NES glory, but let's not kid ourselves; Most people think Cloud, Sephiroth, Kefka, and Lightning more than they think of anyone else, these days.  Maybe Cecil (MAYBE).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 04:23:10 PM »

Cloud had precisely zero shits on Shovel Knight. Nobody could see what the Ballot said, but predictions and polls were made to gauge people's interest and on what character they voted.

I didn't mention the Ballot here because (FOR ME) it's quite obvious the choice of Cloud was not made through the Ballot.

I will say it's possible but if we go by the predictions, Cloud would have less chances than King K. Rool.
Director of that one 1999 fangame that is not out yet.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Sakurai will resize Ridley, add blood to the game and give us fuckin' GOKU before he gives us Simon Belmont...  >:(

I don't know their criteria for choosing characters, but I can't think of ONE SINGLE REASON - beyond money - for why Cloud, of all characters in the planet, deserves to be in this game more than Simon.

Yes, that's ALL that Smash needed - one more pretty boy with a cool anime sword.

Yeah I'm buttmad at this. What the heck, Sakurai?

Supposing Sakurai has already considered Simon to get in this, I'm starting to suspect that he didn't add him because of the religious symbolism - even though they are much more lax with this today.

Fully agree. It seems that COMMON SENSE is thrown right out of the window now adays. Nothing is sacred and you now what? FUCK Nintendo history it is only about popularity now or maybe it has always been that way.

Though they could bring Snake back and I'd be ok with too.

Why? This is what I don't get he like Cloud do not belong on a nintendo system their history is with Sony.  Am I really wrong for judging characters based on history with nintendo rather than fing popularity!?

-There are rumors that Nintendo is attempting to get FFVII HD on the NX, but with Sony trying to snag it as exclusive (and likely to be one), this is a tough rumor.

-Cloud brings in all the FFVII fanboys and their dollars.

As much as it pains me to say it, Cloud is, for all intents and purposes, the best representation of "Final Fantasy".  In the past, it may have been Fighter ("Warrior of Light") in full NES glory, but let's not kid ourselves; Most people think Cloud, Sephiroth, Kefka, and Lightning more than they think of anyone else, these days.  Maybe Cecil (MAYBE).

From word of mouth Shovel Knight is in first place that is what I have been hearing. And I love Cecil. Not only that but the FFVII idea was something I thought of with my friends when we watched the direct yesterday it is the only possible reason, only logical reason I can think of.

And least I can beat up Cloud with Sheik even Link now and Ike will get his revenge! Cloud does not deserve a spot here and if someone does not agree with that tell me. It's more than just having your favorite character here.

Also my reaction

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:12:23 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 06:48:58 PM »
Cloud had precisely zero shits on Shovel Knight. Nobody could see what the Ballot said, but predictions and polls were made to gauge people's interest and on what character they voted.

It's like a conspiracy.. Some say that real elections are rigged too, I think people would care less than this :P

So much salt for Cloud in every comments section on the internet, love it XD
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »
I think he'll be fun to play as.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »
I keep thinking that, I realize they probably have "parameters" they need to stay within (such as new characters basically falling into one of the three categories -- brawler/gunner/swordsman), and maybe those characters need to have some similarity to others in their move-sets...but pick things that can be a "clone" that's different.

Off the top of my head, I would say Ness and Lucas fit my idea here.  While they are strikingly similar, there is also a significant enough difference between them.  (Though, I wouldn't miss Lucas, and I'd establish Ness as a permanent character since he was one of the originals...but that's neither here nor there.)  There are probably others but I don't really want to come up with them at this immediate moment.
Maybe it was just in the way he was presented, and maybe he won't actually be that much of a clone -- but from the video it sure looked like he was just a re-skinned Ike...maybe with a dash of Link and/or Shulk tossed in as well.

I will buy him when he's released though for the sake of having the whole collection, and I guess I'll just hope he turns out to be more different than he looked.  Shovel Knight would be great through.  He seems like he'd fit the parameters while still being different.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 05:40:15 AM »
So he's out now, and Bayonetta's out in February. And though I usually don't care to pay for Mii Fighter costume sets, having Geno in Sm4sh was too cool to pass up—just gotta make a Mii that looks like him, now.

So who's going to SMASH my face in?

NNID: EbbFlak
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 08:23:14 AM »
Bayonetta?  Admittedly, I've been busy the last 2 weeks, mostly with finishing up another semester on the Masters degree... Did I miss an announcement somewhere?

And a Geno costume?  That's cool...though actual Geno would have been cooler.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
Wow, the one of 2 FF characters I can't stand, in a game series I have yet to play, over a character better established and who's been around longer. Looks like another Smash title I won't play.

Wait, Clouds out, but Geno's in from what I can understand here? Better choice, he's been on a Nintendo system, and he's still from a Square made product, sounds better.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:45:49 PM by Bloodreign »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »
Yeah when I watched the direct I was just kinda like eh. I don't mind the choices but I think they could've added more. I think six FE reps are too much as this is coming from a guy who uses Fire Emblem forums. I was hoping for a Konami rep...

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »
How about for once, Nintendo could maybe get a character from another franchise, ya know, like Mike Jones from Star Tropics (the main character).

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
Wow, the one of 2 FF characters I can't stand, in a game series I have yet to play

I would suggest playing the game while in a less biased frame of mind prior to judging characters, not sure how you can judge a character without knowing their context. That's like someone saying they don't like Ryu but have never played SF, makes zero sense.

Am I a Cloud fan? Yes, I'm a big FFVII fan and it was the first JRPG I played an it introduced me to that world. However, the people who've played through VII know that both Cloud and Sepiroth's characters largely made that game what it is.

While I am happy Cloud is in Smash, I actually would have preferred someone like Sepiroth as he could've been more distinct and different.
Bayonetta looks better imo.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »
I own Final Fantasy 7, I can judge the character from my experience playing it. I don't own a Smash Bros game, and won't make a judgement on it.

I bought FFVII because back in the day, I bought into the hype. If I could go back in time, I'd slap myself for purchasing this one and 8, though 9 went back to basics, and what worked for me (character design, no emo characters, no dumb mini-card games from 8 ). Yes it opened up RPG's to the mainstream, but if it weren't hyped, any other RPG, maybe a Beyond the Beyond, or a Breath of Fire 3, a Wild Arms, a Grandia, heck  even a Suikoden could've done the exact same with the same kind of marketing.

You might not like it, but I'm the opposite of you, I hate FFVII and it's characters, once I beat the game, I retired it, never to be played through again. You want as good FF game from around that time? Tactics is great, yes it has Cloud, but he's optional and you don't need him to beat the game (though Tactics is no Shining Force for sure). Age differences also might have something to do with our differing opinions. ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:49:03 AM by Bloodreign »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 07:41:35 AM »
I own Final Fantasy 7, I can judge the character from my experience playing it. I don't own a Smash Bros game, and won't make a judgement on it.

I bought FFVII because back in the day, I bought into the hype. If I could go back in time, I'd slap myself for purchasing this one and 8, though 9 went back to basics, and what worked for me (character design, no emo characters, no dumb mini-card games from 8 ). Yes it opened up RPG's to the mainstream, but if it weren't hyped, any other RPG, maybe a Beyond the Beyond, or a Breath of Fire 3, a Wild Arms, a Grandia, heck  even a Suikoden could've done the exact same with the same kind of marketing.

You might not like it, but I'm the opposite of you, I hate FFVII and it's characters, once I beat the game, I retired it, never to be played through again. You want as good FF game from around that time? Tactics is great, yes it has Cloud, but he's optional and you don't need him to beat the game (though Tactics is no Shining Force for sure). Age differences also might have something to do with our differing opinions. ;)
q
I thought you meant you hadn't played FFVII, not Smash, my bad.

Forget about the hype, don't believe it - also glad I bought that Public Enemy single. I bought FFVII on a whim, randomly for really cheap when it was first out and it was the best gaming risk I ever took, that and buying Alundra (which is better than any 2d Zelda imo). I didn't even know much about the game, I'd read two EGM articles on it, 1 was back when it was starting to be considered for N64. My opinion is fuck the hype, I like the game for what it is.

The Suikoden thing I don't agree with, although I have fond memories of Suikoden II, although good games, characters were forgettable and 1 felt archaic compared to 2. Grandia I never finished but I liked the game, used to play it at a mate's house a lot. FFVII wasn't marketed where I live, games were rarely marketed in general until EB came about at around the 2001-2004 mark. Only specialty stores really sold good games. (I had to specially order Castlevania DoS in 2006 because Atari's distribution was shitty here at the time).

Mate I couldn't really care/ be offended if you don't like the game, it's your opinion. (I may be a strong fan of certain games, but I'm no defensive fanboy.) Tactics was rare to find, and I played a bit of it when I hired it, but couldn't get into it. I'm also not really into axonometric games in general. (Aside from Gauntlet Legends there are very few I like, never jumped on the Baldur's gate hype train). My mate used to go on about FFIX but I never saw what the fuss was, it wasn't engaging to me, I preferred 7 and 8. I also never understood the hype about 6, it was a good game, but compared to VII it was average to me.

Well I don't know how old you are, but I'm over my late 20's now, so if you're extremely young then maybe, if not I say it's simply a difference of opinions.