Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: DOOM (2016)  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: March 28, 2016, 01:58:30 AM »
So hype. I never did finish DOOM 3 and always meant to, but what I'm digging of what I'm seeing of the new one, I really like how it seems to be going straight for nostalgia and old school, arcadey first-person shooters (of which Quake is the ultimate game). I played the multiplayer alpha and that was a blast, reminded me of old fragging goodness: no cover system, regenerative health, or ADS, just point-and-shoot mayhem.

May 13th seems so far away.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:18:58 AM »
So hype. I never did finish DOOM 3 and always meant to,

No

It's not Doom, so don't treat it as such
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »
LOOK OUT, HERE COMES CAPTAIN (Potential) BRINGDOWN!

Eh I'm kinda apprehensive about it. There's a few potentially big problems that've been pointed out in a video someone sent me about it, maybe they're mostly wrong?:

1- The weapon wheel slows down the gameplay while you select a new weapon, this breaks the flow and tension from the original games.

2- You apparently only get ammo from killing enemies? Which seems like it would discourage the labyrinthine levels and exploration from the original games in favor of following straightforward corridors.

3- Because of these ammo limitations, it would probably be wisest to use the canned Brutal Doom-style fatality animations to finish enemies (during which you are apparently invincible from attack by other enemies) whenever possible. Which could get really old stopping the gameplay to watch the same animations over and over again.

4. John Carmack isn't involved. Some believe that Zenimax bought iD mostly so it could use Carmack's new iDtech engine in it's Bethesda games (since Bethesda can't build a game/engine without a thousand holes to save its life) so when Carmack left the company Zenimax were pissed. They sued or tried to sue Occulus Rift for code they claimed Carmack wrote while employed by them back in 2014. One reason for Carmack's departure from iD may be his belief in open source software clashing with the closed system Zanimax wanted. Anyway, this all means that, potentially, this game coming out is more about Zenimax desperately trying to recoup their losses from buying iD then honoring the series legacy.

But hey who knows. The new level builder looks promising.

Also Doom 1 & 2 > Quake
All day erry day. ( ;) )
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:35:32 AM by Ratty »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:19:01 PM »
I'm just hoping this isn't a glorified Brutal Doom release, much like how Doom 3 was a glorified release of the PSX and N64 game.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 12:34:06 AM »
Pre-ordered this one at the same time as Dark Souls 3. I really like the fact that there's more of a run-and-gun emphasis on this one than most shooters. I liked going berserker in games like Gears, but it's also a good way to get killed. :-\

Never played Doom 3, but I haven't heard anything good about it, either. So I'm happy to see it continue in spirit of the old games. The first two games (and Plutonia and TNT) are among my favorite games of all time...usually play them at least once a year or so, while blasting metal, because I'm lame.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 01:14:51 AM »
DOOM 3 is fine and I'd say inspired a lot of horror first-person shooters; I'm feeling its influence while currently playing through Alien: Isolation at any rate. Folks who dislike it probably wanted more frantic action and searching for keys and moving through mazes. It's a fun game I just have to get back to it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 07:59:55 PM »
I'm pretty apprehensive about the new Doom.  I really don't like what I see in the trailers.  I'm glad they're trying to get back to the feel of the originals, because Doom 3 was very, very different.  But this still looks pretty far off the mark, to me.  It's all about the violence and gore.  Doom has always had violence and gore, but the action, level design, and atmosphere were always more important.  I'm trying to keep an open mind though.  There's usually so much more to a game than what you see in the trailers.

Regarding Doom 3, I hated it the first few times I played it.  It was way too dark and was focused on graphics and scripted pop-out scares more than anything else.  The gameplay was nothing like the original games.  But once the BFG edition came out, I gave it a shot and ended up loving it for what it was.  I played through Doom 3 and all the expansions and loved a lot of it.  Having the flashlight available with your weapon made the game so much more enjoyable.  And once you get five or six levels in, it begins to feel a bit more like Doom should, with monster closet traps, a good of versatile weapons, and more than two enemies attacking at once.  It's still not the updated Doom it should have been, but it was much better than my first few impressions.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »
I played the new doom last night and its only MP right now but Ill say it feels a lot like Unreal Tournament which isnt a bad thing

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 09:53:03 AM »
Cautiously optimistic.

I dont have high hopes, but it does at least look really nice visually, aside from some hiccups(cyberdemon design, the cool Doom inspired cover only being a reversible alt to the main generic halo of duty spess muhreen cover)

from what i understand, stuff like the weapon wheel are only for console, and you can just use the number keys on PC. (why would you play doom on console anyway)

so basically, the *hope* is that many of the stupider aspects like the weapon wheel, weapon carrying limits and canned takedowns are all options you can turn off on PC.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 08:20:59 PM »
(why would you play doom on console anyway)

Because I'm a looooong way from upgrading my PC (at least 2 years down the road), and it can't even do Witcher 3 on the lowest settings in its current state.

...and Doom 64 was pretty awesome back in the day...

Folks who dislike it probably wanted more frantic action and searching for keys and moving through mazes.

The reason I didn't play it was mostly atmosphere and enemy design...it just seemed so far removed from the first 2 games that I just never bothered to check it out. I finally bought it during a Steam sale, but still haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:29:40 PM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »
Nice to see some love for Doom 64.
The atmosphere in that game... wow... :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 02:34:27 AM »
Might be considered blasphemous in some circles, but DOOM 64 is my favorite in the series and I'm a big fan of Aubrey Hodges, who did the dark ambient music for Williams and Raster's DOOM and Quake console versions. (All of those soundtracks are on his Bandcamp page.)

There's a total conversion for PC and an even newer PC version, but sadly last I tried the latter it kept crashing on me; perhaps now it's more stable. It was fun because it allowed for some changes like the ability to jump or look vertically, which is fun just to switch things up when you've played the original so many times.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
Have any of you put much time into Final Doom or the Master Levels?  I've played the original Doom and Doom 2 many times, but I've never been able to plow through Final Doom or the Master Levels.  I do really enjoy the first 10 levels or so of TNT, but eventually the game gets so hard (playing on Ultra Violence) that it just ceases to be as much fun.  I played about 23 levels into TNT on the PSN Doom Classic Complete collection, but my PS3 died and I lost my save file.  I've played that far again on my new PS3, but the levels are all just so sprawling and full of the toughest bad guys by that point.  It takes me an hour or two to play through one level and it seems like progress is stupidly slow, I guess I just lose the desire to play further in.

Am I the only one?

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 02:16:52 AM »
Oh man...I have some equally fond and frustrating memories of TNT and Plutonia...especially that level where you have to fight a ton of the stronger enemies in the game, only to have a dozen or so Archviles come out and potentially resurrect some of them. I know what you mean. Progress comes to an absolute crawl on some of them, but it can be so fun, too.

Still haven't tried the Master Levels yet...I keep neglecting my Steam/GOG games.  :-\

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 02:33:25 AM »
Nice to see some love for Doom 64.
The atmosphere in that game... wow... :D
Might be considered blasphemous in some circles, but DOOM 64 is my favorite in the series and I'm a big fan of Aubrey Hodges, who did the dark ambient music for Williams and Raster's DOOM and Quake console versions. (All of those soundtracks are on his Bandcamp page.)

There's a total conversion for PC and an even newer PC version, but sadly last I tried the latter it kept crashing on me; perhaps now it's more stable. It was fun because it allowed for some changes like the ability to jump or look vertically, which is fun just to switch things up when you've played the original so many times.

When it comes to DOOM, I've played countless iterations and sequels, lost count on modded plays and whatnot.
But Doom 64 is something special, The Atmosphere makes you feel truly alone and that my friends is totally immersive, and I studied 2 years in immersionology.
It's not modern enough for Doom 3 (and it's merits) and it's not classic enough for Doom 1 & 2, but it's at that glorious sweet spot.

And Pirating this game is also pretty much legal at this point, the rights are in limbo and I'd advise playing it on PC, because of controls.

Also, give me your settings, I can probably help on the crashing problem

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Tags: