Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Resident Evil VII (AND IT'S SCARY AGAIN)  (Read 16461 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: June 13, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »

Resident Evil VII was announced at E3, and it actually looks scary (and very much like Outlast), and it will be VR compatible. There's supposedly a demo out now for PS+ subscribers, but I can't find it anywhere.

EDIT: Demo thoughts

So after playing through the PS+ "Beginning Hour" demo, I can say firstly that the demo is beyond short. Like you-can-beat-it-in-less-than-20-minutes short. The atmosphere is excellent, and I found myself actually dreading going forward, and I even jumped and cried out in a couple parts.

But the game just feels like another Outlast, or another Amnesia, or Slender. It doesn't look, feel, or even remotely resemble a Resident Evil game. It's just another first-person walking simulator. And for a mainline Resident Evil game (for $60, no less), that's just not okay.

It's worth mentioning in the menu you can turn on/off both a crosshair and an ammo count, so it's safe to assume that unlike those other generic first-person horror games, gunplay will be a thing, and I'm really hoping that once that's introduced, it'll be more than the walking simulator it is.

Also, not digging the silent protagonist route.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 04:55:16 PM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Resident Evil VII (AND IT'S SCARY AGAIN)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 07:30:43 PM »
RE'S GOING BACK TO WHAT MADE RE GREAT I CAN'T WAIT

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:43:08 PM »
I was going ballistic on my seat all through the conference.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
I do have to say that while I will wait to play it before judging it (the demo is supposed to go live tonight), I'm just really disappointed in what I see. Yeah, I'm glad it went back to horror, but... It just looks like another generic first-person horror game. It resembles RE even less than the last few games we had, and I'm sure that the story that RE5, 6, and Revelations 2 spent building up will NOT be explored in this game. It's quite literally the first RE game I've ever seen where I just went "Meh..." after watching it. And I got giddy over Operation Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps.

Again, I'll wait to play it before making that judgment fully, and I'll still likely grab it day one because RE is my favorite game franchise. But right now, I'm extremely underwhelmed.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »
At least it looks like they've completely abandoned continuing off of this.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:39:30 PM »
Capcom FINALLY gives us survival horror in one hand and slaps us with the other by having it be first person...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:41:03 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 11:55:01 PM »
The demo is now live on PSN for PS+ users. 2.9GB.

It's... alright. It really just feels like another generic first-person horror game.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:35:59 AM by Claimh Solais »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 01:23:51 AM »
Dat Trailer, looks like someone looked at P.T. and said, "Y'know what, we got this shit!"

Makes me excited,
Everything looks nice,
Going back to the roots and all...
After all the bad Sequels, all the shit.
Many thanks for listening to you fans, Capcom.
About that listening part...
Now, this may sound like a broken record...

Xcited to see a good RE, but what I really want to see is in the first letters in caps.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 01:32:45 AM »
To be fair, this is even further from Resident Evil than RE6 was. The game doesn't resemble Resident Evil at all outside of the title and the interface on the main menu.

Also, I updated the first post with my thoughts on the demo so people have a good idea of what to expect out of it.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 04:20:59 AM »
I can see why they're going down this road, VR optional and all. It looks like a decent game from the demo but I'm not wowed by the graphics.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 08:09:20 AM »
It's worth mentioning in the menu you can turn on/off both a crosshair and an ammo count, so it's safe to assume that unlike those other generic first-person horror games, gunplay will be a thing, and I'm really hoping that once that's introduced, it'll be more than the walking simulator it is.

So this will be like Resident Evil Survivor, mmm this is the 3rd i think, i like that game, better the others but i enjoyed a lot survivor, hope it act like that but fixing the problems they have.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 08:50:21 AM »
I find myself wondering how quick people will be to jump on it considering it functionally is the same as the fangasm P.T. was--or how much of the criticism will stem from a place of "crapcom doesn't know how to make something good, wah it's bad by association."

I think I'll wait until later in its development and more is seen before I actually weigh in on it at length. So far, though, it does lend the impression the series is going back to its horror roots, and I'm all in favor of that. But there's not really much here for me to go on aside from that, so I don't really want to draw conclusions and make assumptions this early on.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »
So this will be like Resident Evil Survivor, mmm this is the 3rd i think, i like that game, better the others but i enjoyed a lot survivor, hope it act like that but fixing the problems they have.

Fifth actually. There were already four Survivor games (Survivor, Survivor 2: Code Veronica, Dino Stalker, and Dead Aim). I think I would be significantly more accepting of the game if it were another Survivor game.

I think I'll wait until later in its development and more is seen before I actually weigh in on it at length. So far, though, it does lend the impression the series is going back to its horror roots, and I'm all in favor of that. But there's not really much here for me to go on aside from that, so I don't really want to draw conclusions and make assumptions this early on.

I think it's largely the realistic horror that kinda bugs me. Resident Evil, ever since the beginning, has never taken itself too seriously. It's way too early to judge it, but from what I've seen of both the trailer and the demo, there doesn't seem to be any semblance of the sci-fi roots of the series. And RE has always been largely sci-fi, science playing a HUGE role in the entire franchise (even in games like Gaiden and Outbreak). Again, though, it's way too early to judge that.

Capcom IS going for a "clean slate" on RE here, I'm just worried that they're straying a bit too far from what makes RE an RE game. I will try and judge the game based on its own merits though, as I did enjoy the atmosphere of the demo (as well as the fact that it's not even close to as clunky as most of these first-person horror games).

EDIT: Also, due to that fact that I'm 100% sure they're ditching the storyline they've been building up the last few games, it was a real kick in the teeth ending the demo with the line, "Welcome to the family." and "The family is expecting you." What with the villains of RE6 being named "The Family", and also a group that was never dismantled, just feels really sour to me.

EDIT 2: The game's full title is Resident Evil VII: Biohazard, and the Japanese title is confirmed as Biohazard 7: Resident Evil. I don't know why Resident Evil VII and Biohazard 7 alone weren't good enough.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:08:29 PM by Claimh Solais »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 06:44:18 AM »
I generally don't like first person view games. So I'm pretty meh about this.
I'd be happier with an actual new RE game that somehow resembles the first 3.
"Stuff and things."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 07:06:25 AM »
I find myself wondering how quick people will be to jump on it considering it functionally is the same as the fangasm P.T. was--or how much of the criticism will stem from a place of "crapcom doesn't know how to make something good, wah it's bad by association."

Same, also going for Kojima's new game, it's so early in production it doesn't even have an engine...

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Tags: