Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What do you think of a CV made by Vanillaware?  (Read 15631 times)

Offline kaiwai

• Old Hunter
  • Hunter in Training
  • There is no vampire in Belgium!!
    • WEarePES.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
What do you think of a CV made by Vanillaware?
« on: February 20, 2014, 11:29:53 AM »
Hi everyone,
I think about this since a few monthes and I just saw people speaking about this topic in another thread:

I believe that Vanillaware should be the next studio working on the Castlevania serie!

"The studio's past projects have specialized in 2D, or sprite-based, game design. They have garnered positive attention from fans and game media alike for embracing 2D game design in a market dominated by 3D games. The company was formed from members of the Atlus project team which had developed Princess Crown for the Sega Saturn in 1997."
~Wikipedia

Vanillaware is focused on amazing art direction and 2D HD graphics with a sweet japanese flavour. I personally think they are actually the best in this discipline, pushing 2D games at the highest level. If Konami decide to team-up with this studio for a new castlevania episode, I'm convinced it could result to an awesome video game. Graphically, between the occidental felling of "Lords of Shadow" and the subtle Kojima artworks of "Symphony of the Night".

I think their games bacame better and better, and with their last titles such as Muramasa and Dragon's Crown, the gamers are waiting for them. The only concern: Is Vanillaware could work for another company as an independent studio, like Platinum Games did for the Konami's Metal Gear Rizing?

- GrimGrimoire (PlayStation 2)
- Odin Sphere (PlayStation 2)
- Kumatanchi (Nintendo DS, Japan only)
- Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)
- Grand Knights History (PlayStation Portable, Japan only)
- Muramasa Rebirth (PlayStation Vita)
- Dragon's Crown (PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3)

Here are some beautiful screenshots and artworks from the artists of Vanillaware, not too far from the Castlevania universe:

http://vanillaware.co.jp/

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: What do you think of a CV made by Vanillaware?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »
I've only played Odin Sphere a little bit, so I can't comment very well on Vanilliaware's game design, but the visual style these games have are very pleasant on the eyes. It's very colorful and bright, but I could totally imagine them pulling off a very creepy gothic atmosphere with it. In comparision to the GBA and DS games, MoF looked very drab and boring, and having the series return to that visual appeal would be wonderful.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »
i only played Muramasa out of those yuo mentioned, and while an awesome game, it really lacked in the platforming sections. i fear a castlevania game developed by Vanillaware might suffer the same altho like i said i havent played those other games so i cant comment on the platforming in those. it will sure thing be visually impressive, with loads of unique enemies & excellent character designs. it will literally look like a Ayami Kojima painting come to life (UH OH SHOULDNT HAVE SAID THAT HERE COME THE KOJIMA LOLZ PRETTYBOY HATERS), but it would also have to introduce difficult platforming thats reminiscent of castlevania 1 and castlevania 3

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
I've never played any of the games you listed, but that artwork looks like it would fit Castlevania like a glove in my opinion.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 02:47:14 PM »
Their art style would be amazing for a Castlevania game, but as Crisis mentioned, I don't know that they can pull it off in terms of gameplay. They tend to focus on a more beat 'em up/RPG method to game design, and the games I've played are more hack and slash with little to no emphasis on platforming or level design.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »
Have Vanillaware on graphics department, Have Someone else do level design.

Vanillaware is great on graphics, but they aren't the best at stage design, it's either too flat or too vertical

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »
We already had this discussion and no. Vanillaware makes good looking games with the worst gameplay and 90's design. Please no. I stand by what I think since a long time ago, the Next castlevania is coming from Doble Helix. Mark my words.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »
Can't agree that their gameplay and design is bad. Muramasa and Dragon's Crown are great games. Flat with little level design to speak of, but it works for them, and it appears to have worked for Odin Sphere as well (haven't played it). Their focus is on combat. It's like saying a tactical RPG is bad because there's no free-roaming; it's not the point of the game.

What Vanillaware does, in both graphics and gameplay, they do very well.

And Double Helix? The studio which was bought out by Amazon.com? Don't count on it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
I meant Climax, sorry.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »
I'm not familiar with them outside of Silent Hill Origins and Shattered Memories (both good games), or if they even have done much of anything. Is there a reason you think they'd either be given the opportunity to make a new Castlevania or why they ought to? They seem pretty dead in the water.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »
Yes. Their style woulsd be a perfect fit glad I'm not the obly one who thinks that I felt when playing muramasa. Have a two character story arc and boom let's get started. I've also have odin sphere but muramasa just wow.... Love it one of my top wii games.

Edit:I also recall having the ability of getting grimoire but I passed on it instead for odin sphere is it any good?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:41:45 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Seeing a game in that beautiful sprite work would make me cry bloody tears of joy. 

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
+1
Seeing a game in that beautiful sprite work would make me cry bloody tears of joy.

I would get hungry just saying I feel like sushi. Dang I've felt like that all week too.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
i like yellowtail sushi and am open to new things

Offline kaiwai

• Old Hunter
  • Hunter in Training
  • There is no vampire in Belgium!!
    • WEarePES.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 06:01:04 PM »
Guys, we nearly all agree that the Art Direction of the Vanillaware games is amazing and would fit well to the Castlevania serie. If most of you wants another Castlevania in 2D, this is one of the actual best japanese studio for that!

In term of Gameplay and Level Design, I have to agree that Muramasa, even if I loved the game, was a bit boring after a few hours, but still a good 2D game. But if you think about it, some of the Vanillaware games already have a lot of Castlevania elements: platforming, combat, atmospheric background, farming weapons/items/magics, RPG elements, etc...

Thinking that all the games of Vanillaware have the same hack'n slash mechanics is just a hasty prejudice! Have a look to the list of their titles and see how different they actually are:

- GrimGrimoire: Real-time strategy game
- Odin Sphere: Action RPG
- Kumatanchi: Life Sim
- Muramasa: Action/platform RPG
- Grand Knight History: Traditional RPG
- Dragon's Crown: Action role-playing / beat 'em up

As you see, they have their style but they are absolutely not limited to one only genre and gameplay!! In my opinion, they could have done a game like Symphony of the Night, or something similar (I mean, in term of genre). So, if they actually work with people from Konami that know the CV serie better, it could result in something really interesting, with good story, interesting gameplay and amazing 2D graphics.

Don't be to narrow-minded and think about it, it's not so stupid. Who could have bet on a spanish studio from Madrid directed by an english guy, making an excellent Castlevania trilogy?! So, after their partnership with Platinum Games and Mercury Steam, I really hope Konami will seriously think about making a game with Vanillaware.  ;)

We already had this discussion and no. Vanillaware makes good looking games with the worst gameplay and 90's design. Please no. I stand by what I think since a long time ago, the Next castlevania is coming from Doble Helix. Mark my words.

(...)

I meant Climax, sorry.
Ok, there is already a topic about this?? Sorry for that if it's the case.

Double Helix, mmm, well, why not, the Strider reboot looks ok...
... but Climax? Well... not sure about that mate!!  :rollseyes:

Don't worry, I "mark your words" !!  8)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:11:32 PM by kaiwai »

Tags:

anything