Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Patent Shenanigans: Capcom Sues Koei Tecmo for the Idea of "Expansion Packs"  (Read 4296 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Capcom Sues Koei Tecmo For Patent Infringement (This is facepalm worthy)
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/26/capcom-suing-koei-tecmo-patent-infringement/
...You know Capcom, if you were really that desperate for money you could just swallow your pride and un-cancel Megaman Legends 3.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Wow, Capcom is known these days for their DLCs, but trying to monopolize it? That's not even funny anymore.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Wow, Capcom is known these days for their DLCs, but trying to monopolize it? That's not even funny anymore.

Less on the DLC and more on Koei's Xtreme Legends mixjoy stuff. You know, using multiple discs, one of which is an expansion pack that has features that can be combined with another disc. That stuff.

When the hell did Capcom ever do this, again?
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Well, Rival Schools and Resident Evil 2 did it, but even so its stupid, even more because Sega did it before with Sonic & Knuckles.

edit: Eureka! Now I undderstand everything!

Its because Sengoku Basara 2 and Sengoku Basara 3!!! These two had a bonus disk released a time later that worked as expansion packs, you could even transfer saves to play in new stages, modes and play with new characters.

These 2 series are about the same era, with shoguns and soldiers. But even so its stupid, they should've tried a cleaner way to fight, instead of trying to sue for something that isn't even their alone :P

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:16:24 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I think that they're losing money. So what's the best way for to make some more? A cheap stunt like suing. I agree with VladCT in that they should have release MML3. It would have been the smarter move in the long-run.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
do they have any chance of winning this? isnt that just more lost money? I know they are desperate, but yknow, there's an easier answer to that.

Hint,
(click to show/hide)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Less on the DLC and more on Koei's Xtreme Legends mixjoy stuff. You know, using multiple discs, one of which is an expansion pack that has features that can be combined with another disc. That stuff.

When the hell did Capcom ever do this, again?

Well, Rival Schools and Resident Evil 2 did it, but even so its stupid, even more because Sega did it before with Sonic & Knuckles.

edit: Eureka! Now I undderstand everything!

Its because Sengoku Basara 2 and Sengoku Basara 3!!! These two had a bonus disk released a time later that worked as expansion packs, you could even transfer saves to play in new stages, modes and play with new characters.

These 2 series are about the same era, with shoguns and soldiers. But even so its stupid, they should've tried a cleaner way to fight, instead of trying to sue for something that isn't even their alone :P

But this kind of thing goes back even farther than that. Computer RPGs in the mid 1980s were letting you transfer your saved character data from one game to the next.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
You know what? This sounds almost exactly like the time Capcom tried to sue Data East over Fighter's History.
Only this time the company they are trying to sue created their product BEFORE Capcom.
BTW, Capcom LOST the suit against Data East.

Man... fuck Capcom. I'm done supporting that shit company.
The only way they'll ever see one red cent from me is if Nintendo bites the bullet and buys them out.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I doubt that Nintendo would buy them. There are far more promising companies to be acquired out there.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
Re: Patent Shenanigans: Capcom Sues Koei Tecmo for the Idea of "Expansion Packs"
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 11:06:46 PM »
If Capcom goes under, I'd rather that their IPs went to separate companies. Nintendo would do justice to Mega Man, sure, but others? I'm not so sure. I'd love for Resident Evil to be taken up by Tango Gameworks, Basara and Devil May Cry taken up by Platinum Games, Street Fighter probably by Bamco, etc.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: Patent Shenanigans: Capcom Sues Koei Tecmo for the Idea of "Expansion Packs"
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 12:39:54 AM »
If Capcom goes under, I'd rather that their IPs went to separate companies. Nintendo would do justice to Mega Man, sure, but others? I'm not so sure. I'd love for Resident Evil to be taken up by Tango Gameworks, Basara and Devil May Cry taken up by Platinum Games, Street Fighter probably by Bamco, etc.

Although I gotta say Felicia would be a fun character to see driving a Go-Kart, I'm not sure how well Nintendo would take to her character design XD

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »
Im not entirely sure Nintendo would do justice to mega man... I mean, they have the same issue with franchises like metroid, F-Zero, or Star Fox, which have one game then aren't heard from again in YEARS. How many people were crying about Metroid being Dead because of the gap after other M?

That and they aren't exactly THAT great at innovation. they mostly stick to formulas and really only Mario has gotten any kind of change lately.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »
Im not entirely sure Nintendo would do justice to mega man... I mean, they have the same issue with franchises like metroid, F-Zero, or Star Fox, which have one game then aren't heard from again in YEARS. How many people were crying about Metroid being Dead because of the gap after other M?

That and they aren't exactly THAT great at innovation. they mostly stick to formulas and really only Mario has gotten any kind of change lately.

When I said Nintendo would do justice to Mega Man is mostly just me agreeing with the argument most of the fanbase is coming up with. I don't really know a whole lot on the matter, especially since their whole argument is about Mega Man's final smash in Smash 4.

I think it'd be funny if Comcept got a hold of the franchise, though.

Tags:

anything