Poll

What should we do?

Each entry in 3 palettes. Each winner 's sprite used as award for their winning place.
0 (0%)
Each entry is a set of 3 sprites. Onlt 1st place winner's sprites used as awards.
0 (0%)
Have 3 categories for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place awards. Each entry is a single sprite per category. Each 1st place winner in each category gets their sprite used as a forum award.
3 (33.3%)
Free for all!! Submit as many entries as you want. Judges just pick their three favorites.
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 11, 2014, 07:02:12 PM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Sprite Contest Entry Rules Poll  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
Alright people! Choose your path!

I like option 3 because it allows the most flexibility.
A person can choose to enter their sprite in a single category or submit multiple sprites in multiple categories.
Each winner get's to have their sprite used as a forum award, too.
"Stuff and things."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
To be sure I (and maybe anyone else, if someone else is confused) understand...

-- Option 1 means: I enter "Dracula's Face" in Gold, Silver, and Bronze.  If I win first place, my GolDrac award is used...given to myself for winning first place.  If I win second, SilvDrac is given to me for winning second, if I win third I get BronDrac.

-- Option 2 means: I enter "Face 'o' Drac", "Bod 'o' Drac", and "Leg 'o' Drac", representing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places (respectively).  If I win first, I get my own DracFace, and my DracBod and DragLeg are given to whoever wins 2nd and 3rd.  If I win 2nd or 3rd, my awards do nothing, but I get someone else's.

-- Option 3 means: I choose to enter for whatever I want, design my award(s) accordingly, and if I win first in that category, I get my own award.

Yes?  And were we planning on reusing the 1st 2nd and 3rd place awards for future contests? (I forget if we said already...)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
Yeap that's pretty much it.
Your award will have a pop up that lists which year(s) you won it.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:51:36 PM »
I'm still confused on this. Are we making awards for all future contests, or are we making awards for the sake of making awards for the awards contest which only exists for the sake of making awards?

I still stand by that you guys are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. I don't even know what the hell contest this is even for, and I've been doing sprite contests on Inc. for a number of years now.

I'd ask if this was like our Annual Sprites Inc. Awards (i.e. the best spriter of that year, best musician, worst member(hi favic), best overall member, best new guy, etc.), but we already have the little Dungeon awards for that.

So really, as much as I want to be involved, I haven't got a shred of an ounce of a clue what the helter-skelter you're doing here.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »
This contest will determine the awards for all future sprite contests.
Since we were saying that we might have monthly sprite contests things could get crowded in your awards box pretty quickly.

This is our first go at this so just keep that in mind.
Pretty much follow the 1st post on the main thread and if there are any major developments I'll om all the contestants.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:31:00 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 04:21:36 AM »
This contest will determine the awards for all future sprite contests.
Since we were saying that we might have monthly sprite contests things could get crowded in your awards box pretty quickly.

This is our first go at this so just keep that in mind.
Pretty much follow the 1st post on the main thread and if there are any major developments I'll om all the contestants.

This.

Yep, you don't wanna have 30 different award types in your box. Much easier to just add the years if you place multiple times.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »
I added a fourth option that I think everyone will be happy with.
Recast your votes!!
"Stuff and things."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Yes! A free for all. I think this would be best since not everyone is keen on designing sets.
And I love to see all the possibilities when a free for all happens. The burden is on the judges, though, but our judges are well-versed in spriting, so there's no problem.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 07:23:45 AM »
+1
Alright there's a few things I'd like to talk about.

1. Contest Results

I've been thinking a lot about this, given the split nature of how this all is going. I think the best way we can handle this as it is currently would be to have each contestant submit just their 'gold' tier award. The judgement will be based on that award alone.

Whoever wins this single award contest then has the bonus prize of designing and creating the other awards (silver and bronze) to use as the award icons in this forum. But these will not be voted on, or apart of the contest itself.

2. Contest Rules

At this point in time I don't see a reason to limit the number of submissions per person. As it is with the current judging system having multiple entries can actually severely hurt your chances of winning if the judges are divided amongst your own entries.

3. Awarding

We should award based on first achievement. By that I mean, for example, the Gold is awarded to any one person ONCE into their profile. The caption could be "Has placed first in a Spriters Contest." If they win another one, we don't add another icon to their profile, otherwise it will get crowded. I also don't believe the forum software is capable of awarding someone multiple times with the same award.

What we can do to keep track of the details is keep a stickied topic where the first post logs every contest, the winning submissions, and who got which award.

I wouldn't mind volunteering to maintain the log of contests in a post as described above.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 07:35:01 AM »
BTW, in case people did not know, if you ever run out of award space in your award box, people can click on the Treasure Chest icon in your profile and see all the other awards you've won.
Also, you can click on your own Treasure Chest and choose which award to display, by marking it as 'Favorite" in the award table.

**flies away**
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 08:13:54 AM »

1. Contest Results

I've been thinking a lot about this, given the split nature of how this all is going. I think the best way we can handle this as it is currently would be to have each contestant submit just their 'gold' tier award. The judgement will be based on that award alone.

Whoever wins this single award contest then has the bonus prize of designing and creating the other awards (silver and bronze) to use as the award icons in this forum. But these will not be voted on, or apart of the contest itself.

2. Contest Rules

At this point in time I don't see a reason to limit the number of submissions per person. As it is with the current judging system having multiple entries can actually severely hurt your chances of winning if the judges are divided amongst your own entries.

3. Awarding

We should award based on first achievement. By that I mean, for example, the Gold is awarded to any one person ONCE into their profile. The caption could be "Has placed first in a Spriters Contest." If they win another one, we don't add another icon to their profile, otherwise it will get crowded. I also don't believe the forum software is capable of awarding someone multiple times with the same award.

What we can do to keep track of the details is keep a stickied topic where the first post logs every contest, the winning submissions, and who got which award.

I wouldn't mind volunteering to maintain the log of contests in a post as described above.

Those are damn good ideas! I'm down.

A Free For All takes out all the fat making it easier for everyone as well!

I like the idea of just doing the first place award. At least it guarantee's we get a decent amount of 1st place awards to choose from.

I suggest that the current submissions get updated as well.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:15:50 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:51 AM »

1. Contest Results

2. Contest Rules

3. Awarding

OK, Free for All and these rules were the best achieved so far. Like Darkman, I'm also in.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 11:33:39 AM »
;-P Completely shameless, I am...I just like whatever might give me more chance at winning something X-D ...assuming I ever get a chance to sit down and start playing around with sprite making. :-P

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 03:06:07 PM »

1. Contest Results

2. Contest Rules

3. Awarding

Leave it to uzo to break this stuff down to where I can understand it, lol.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
So if the 4 wins i can make a lot of trophies i want? (Start working at full speed)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:33:51 PM by Jop »

Tags: