Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Mirror of Fate's plot makes no sense  (Read 13600 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 11:25:44 PM »
Why the hell would he suddenly decide to do that?  He didn't have any problems constantly mumbling about who he was and what his motives were at every point prior to that scene.  And even if he doesn't specifically say that he's Trevor, he straight up tells Gabriel he's there to avenge the family name that Gabriel tarnished.  Does Gabriel honestly not have the slightest clue who this guy who single-handedly infiltrated his castle and uses the exact same skill set as him might be?  Isn't he just a teensy bit suspicious when he's shown watching Trevor from far away and scheming to himself?  Doesn't his omnipresent magic mirror thingie make him aware of who Trevor is by default?
It's been years since he was gabriel though. It's been Trevor's entire life, and some of Simon's. he abandoned his former identity and just decided to forget all about it.

the brotherhood never stopped sending people after him though, which is why you still find dead knights everywhere. all because he uses one of Gandolfi's weapons doesnt mean much, he's obviously just a bit more special than the other rank and file knights he's fought and killed.

Revenge for his mother's murder? He's killed lots of people. It's not like he keeps count. And trevor was being very obtuse as well. he didn't outright reveal who he was and who he was avenging, and Gabe never cared enough to look into the mirror.

TL;DR both Gabe and Trevor are hardheaded dense motherfuckers, and never bothered to "get to know" each other because they were too busy being at each other's throats.

Ok, so the whole misunderstanding hinges on every character acting like inconceivable morons for no reason.
more or less. Gabe always was a hard headed stubborn person, and trevor is his carbon copy, right down to the brooding.

At the beginning of the game (which chronologically takes place after everything else, but whatever), we see Gabriel has absolutely no qualms with trying to murder the shit out of Sypha (his daughter-in-law) and Simon (his grandson) to punish Trevor.
Gabriel is just an asshole and a retard. he didn't know Sypha and Simon lived where they did. He didn't even know Trevor had any family. But because he decided that as revenge he'd burn down and massacre a brotherhood village, he perpetuated the cycle by killing trevor's wife and setting his grandson on the path of vengeance.

Do mind though, that when you encounter him as Simon/Alucard, he isn't so quick to just come to blows. he even tailed Simon and Alucard. That said, he realizes the Belmont family is just cursed to keep the cycle going so he claims he's decided to just end the bloodline alltogether. But he doesn't go all out against Simon and Alucard. hell, half the fight is him possessing Simon to attack Alucard, and the other is him just doing the disappearing reappearing fire ball strat, where against Trevor he went all out no holds barred. and despite not having actually died when Simon impales him, he still goes away and his castle crumbles, only to eventually rise again, queing Alucard's master plan as shown in LoS2.

Then that ending cutscene in Trevor's story happened and I was just like "Wait, how?"

because they decided to tell the story backwards. basically because they wanted the reveal that Alucard was Trevor to be sort of a surprise. Despite everyone figuring it out before the game was even out.

That said I thought it was done well. gave me some chills when they zoom out on Trevor's coffin and it says "Alucard". And the ending with Gabe trying to revive trevor and failing I thought were well done

basically, i enjoyed it for the opposite of you. I loved the plot and setting, the gameplay not so much
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 07:31:11 AM »
what's a PS Vita

A PS Vita is a very powerfull handheld console that people want to trade for the less powerfull 3DS :D
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »
A PS Vita is a very powerfull handheld console that people want to trade for the less powerfull 3DS :D

jupiter is a much bigger planet than earth but nobody wants to live there

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »
I play my vita almost daily. I bought a 3ds XL and kept it for less than a month before selling it.

I think the vita gets an unfair rep around here.

Sure there are some games on 3ds I'd play but I could say the same thing about vita if I had sold that instead.

Both have a good library.

I just think the vita is better in every way. Even games. Haters gonna hate. At least the functions of the vita work properly and it's comfortable to hold.

3ds fails at 3d. Which is the flagship feature.

I'm not anti 3ds. I just think people have it backwards.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 02:38:22 PM »
I play my vita almost daily. I bought a 3ds XL and kept it for less than a month before selling it.

I think the vita gets an unfair rep around here.

Sure there are some games on 3ds I'd play but I could say the same thing about vita if I had sold that instead.

Both have a good library.

I just think the vita is better in every way. Even games. Haters gonna hate. At least the functions of the vita work properly and it's comfortable to hold.

3ds fails at 3d. Which is the flagship feature.

I'm not anti 3ds. I just think people have it backwards.

If it was that good it would've sold better. Also the NEW 3ds have amazing 3d effect.
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »
It is that good.

The reason it hasn't sold better is because Sony botched the marketing and pricing. Despite that, great games continue to come out on it, and of course, you can do way more with it than you can the 3ds.

I also use mine as a 2nd controller to my ps4.

Nintendo and Sony have had inverted success and failures this generation. Nintendo blew it with marketing on the Wii U in the same way, yet they still have awesome games on it. But the PS4 has blown it away in sales.

I'm not going to tell you that the Wii U isn't worth buying just because it hasn't sold as much as a PS4. And even though I sold my 3ds, I'm not on here mocking it and telling people not to buy it.

Yet that's the attitude people have towards the Vita. The fact is that it is a great handheld and worth owning especially if your are into CV and CV style platformers.

There are great games on Vita. I'll say it again. There are great games on Vita!

The worst monsters are human.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »
Definitely a 3DS and Nintendo fan all the way here...but to each his own. :-P  You like Vita?  Good!  I like 3DS!  Vita is this that and the other?  Cool!  3DS is that this and some of those too!  ;-P :-)

The New 3DS effects are really nifty!  I do wish they'd improved the name a little...at least to something that rolls off the tongue a little easier! :-P

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 12:03:57 AM »
I don't use the 3D feature of the 3DS cause it makes me dizzy.
Both the Vita and 3DS have their strengths and weaknesses. Just get what you want and ignore what others say. haha.

@Android: Wait til they develop something that will follow the 3DS and hope that the name won't be hard to pronounce.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 01:18:10 AM »
Definitely a 3DS and Nintendo fan all the way here...but to each his own. :-P  You like Vita?  Good!  I like 3DS!  Vita is this that and the other?  Cool!  3DS is that this and some of those too!  ;-P :-)

The New 3DS effects are really nifty!  I do wish they'd improved the name a little...at least to something that rolls off the tongue a little easier! :-P

Every time I see the new colored buttons of my new 3ds xl I think about super nintendo, so "Super Nintendo 3ds XL" is a better name to me :D

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 08:44:38 PM »
@Android: Wait til they develop something that will follow the 3DS and hope that the name won't be hard to pronounce.

The New and Improved 3DSA XL+ SP 2!  U!

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:34 AM »
+1
The New and Improved 3DSA XL+ SP 2!  U!

LOL! Then its alternative version has micro in it.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 02:39:28 AM »
Just catching up on this.  I agree with Flame here regarding the plot.  The gameplay system was ok imo, a bit on the clunky side at times, but not too bad.  I felt that the plot was pretty solid, even with the story told out of order.  Stubbornness is something of a family trait, you can see it in all of them.  Yes, Trevor was rather foolish to not say who he is straight away, as was Gabe.  All three of them, especially Gabe and Trevor, are blinded by their thirst for vengeance.  Pure and simple.  Trevor's death scene gets me in tears a lot of the time when I watch it, it is to me one of the best moments in the whole trilogy, alongside Gabriel's reunion with Marie in LoS2.  My issues with the story come more in the intervening time betwen MoF and the downfall of Drac's castle in LoS2, alongside an aspect of the scene where Gabriel remembers 'the plan'.  Why does he call Alucard Trevor?  Trevor never gave him his name, and it was Drac himself who called him Alucard.  Surely then he would have sed that name?   
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
the conversation between Alucard and Drac. after the brotherhood fight probably takes place quite a while after MoF.

enough time for Drac to come back and his castle to be rebuilt after it crumbled in MoF.

he probably learned Trevor's name at some point
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 08:56:57 AM »
the conversation between Alucard and Drac. after the brotherhood fight probably takes place quite a while after MoF.

enough time for Drac to come back and his castle to be rebuilt after it crumbled in MoF.

he probably learned Trevor's name at some point
MoF: 1073-1103
LoS2 prologue: c. 1547

(http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Lords_of_Shadow_Timeline)

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 05:40:44 AM »
Oh, I got that, I was more expecting him to more instinctually favour the name he chose for him, is all, especially as when they fought during MoF, he had used 'Alucard'. 
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Tags: