Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Silent Hills Canceled - Confirmed  (Read 9456 times)

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
This just breaks my heart. Konami is not only pulling the P.T. Demo, but Guillermo Del Toro has confirmed Silent Hills is officially canceled.

I pretty much saw it coming when the Hideo Kojima news broke out.

Between this and the direction the Castlevania series is taking and lack of Contra and other great franchises, I am officially boycotting Konami. It is all about Metal Gear with Konami. Even then, what after MGSV? Not that I really care anymore.

Fuck you Konami. You used to be one of the best names in the business. Now your name means nothing to me.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »
Konami is the new Capcom. If things continue as they are, I'm looking forward to the day they close their gaming division and sell their IPs.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »
At this point, that is the best that I can hope for.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »
What do you know about the direction CV is taking?

Last I checked nothing has been announced about the next CV.

I've never been a Silent Hill fan, but I love Metal Gear. Silent Hill is no loss to me.

I understand being upset if you're a fan of that series. But let's not jump to conclusions about CV.

Metal Gear is great. There's nothing wrong with Konami being all about metal gear right now.

And the last contra we got (hardcore uprising) was wonderful. I wish they would give CV that treatment.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:56:38 AM »
Yep, they are pulling the demo from the PSN store, so if you want to play that demo you better get it quick!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 03:01:37 PM »
What do you know about the direction CV is taking?

2010 - Lords of Shadow. I guess I should have said "taken", but I guess it works both ways. There are no consclusions jumped to here. They have been evident for the last 4 and a half years. This is in fact, my opinion, and others may feel differently. However, there seems to be a large consensus that CV is no longer the same.

EDIT: I'm not downing Metal Gear at all, the series is great. The problem is, it seems that is all Konami cares about besides PES and Pachinko. With Kojima now apparently gone, the series will be very different, and hardcore fans will be much more cautious. Understandably so. We don't know all the details behind Konami/Kojima, but at this rate, they are headed for serious financial woes. Sure there were engine legality issues with Silent Hills, I get that. But they could have kept Del Toro on the game. He said it breaks his greasy heart, so he still wanted to do it obviously. But Konami canceled the project entirely. It would have been a landmark rejuvenation for the franchise based on what they have shown, and the P.T. demo went viral. They just completely shut out all of the possible financial success it would have brought, and caused fans like me to light our torches in the process.

Konami has (again, in my opinon) shit all over Castlevania, or rather, allowed Mercury Steam to dump on it, and now Silent Hills. I just can't get behind them anymore. Capcom too, but maybe they are at least trying to make some decent moves.

Hopefully this is all a huge misunderstanding, but I feel Del Toro's words are more than suffice.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:45:12 PM by piscesdreams »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
+2

Metal Gear is great. There's nothing wrong with Konami being all about metal gear right now.

Yes, there is. That story is not made to be a sequel-churning cash cow, and that's probably what they're gonna try and do with it.

There are only so many games you can make about Big Boss. There were only so many to make about Solid. Same for Raiden. The only thing they could really do that would still work would either be origin games for Solidus and Liquid (which I wouldn't play tbh, since we know neither of them really did any super sneaky stuff by comparison), or making the Normandy game featuring The Boss and Cobras.

Aside from that, it's not a series that can be milked and milked and milked, because doing that makes it lose its punch and become oversaturated. And if Konami's pulling a Capcom-with-SF, milking is exactly what they're going to do.

Bear in mind this is coming from someone who owns every game in the series and could probably win a trivia contest on the shit, so I'm not just pulling this out of my ass.

Being tunnel-visioned on a series with a over a dozen games already in it is absolutely a bad thing, what kind of statement is that? When you are a company with thirty years of variety and several well-known and beloved franchise names attached to you, it's up to you to keep those big-name series alive and plan new releases in a balanced manner. Konami clearly has not been doing this. Sure, the fandom will always find ways to get fanworks out there to keep interest afloat a bit longer, within their own communities, but really that only goes so far.

Konami's shooting themselves in the foot worse than they ever have the last few months. Don't sit there and seriously say single-series obssession with a series with a dozen plus entries already isn't a bad thing. Because it is. They knew Silent Hills would have made them a lot of money and opened the door to kickstarting Silent Hill. They knew Kojima is beloved by most of the gaming world and bad shit still went down (though due to lack of information Kojima could have started it, I'm guessing here). They knew the backlash from the first Lords, and greenlit two of the worst sequels I think I've seen in any series. They knew that having a name like del Toro on one of their games would get news of it spread like wildfire, as well as open the market up a little bit more, and still shut it down.

Konami's apparent obssession with Metal Gear is, for the third time, going the route of how Capcom treated Street Fighter and Versus for a while. It's not a good route to take, period.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »
I don't really know how much people on the Dungeon know regarding Konami's revenue streams because we mostly follow console/PC/handheld games only here, but Konami is generally making most of their gaming money through mobile now. They've abandoned us (meaning their core fanbases of yesteryear) and they likely don't really care what we think of them anymore.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 09:58:34 PM »
This is also part of the problem.

Mobile gaming's booming right now, as is their other cash cow, pachislots. They don't give a shit about us because they don't need to give a shit about us. We're no longer their target demographic, so fuck us, they can get their money elsewhere. Sucks that's what the world's come to, but hey, it's not all good for them.

Technology changes rapidly on a basis of every other year now, so more power to them putting all their eggs in one or two baskets. Sooner or later those baskets might not be the right size or shape for their eggs anymore.

I think it's a stupid move myself, as corporations don't stay alive if they don't adapt and stay flexible, but then I'm not a multibillionaire CEO, so what do I know?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 02:43:19 AM »
This is expected with Kojima gone and all.
Konami is moving on to other ventures. I'm just hoping Castlevania gets sold to the rightful successor.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 02:58:46 AM »
This is on par with what Capcom did with Mega Man, hell it might even be worse. ???

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 03:39:29 AM »
Honestly, Capcom gets more shit than it really deserves. They might not be making new/quality Megamans anymore but they give blessings to fans who put out their own quality works.

Can't say I've ever heard Konami do that.

Let's also not forget all the rumors against Capcom that turned out to be completely false; like the time GoNintendo said in an article that Capcom was C&Ding The Protomen over name infringement and the fanbase lost its fucking mind, only for The Protomen to dispel it on Twitter several days later. I guess super-buttmad fans (WAAAAAAA WHERE'S LEGENDS THREEEEEE) will believe anything, especially if they don't have to do research on it themselves.

Just a thought, I've seen more strikes against Capcom disproved than against Konami.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 07:17:45 AM »
I really hope Konami goes under.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
This is also part of the problem.

Mobile gaming's booming right now, as is their other cash cow, pachislots. They don't give a shit about us because they don't need to give a shit about us. We're no longer their target demographic, so fuck us, they can get their money elsewhere. Sucks that's what the world's come to, but hey, it's not all good for them.

Technology changes rapidly on a basis of every other year now, so more power to them putting all their eggs in one or two baskets. Sooner or later those baskets might not be the right size or shape for their eggs anymore.

I think it's a stupid move myself, as corporations don't stay alive if they don't adapt and stay flexible, but then I'm not a multibillionaire CEO, so what do I know?
It's a reason I loath trend. Oh well, fuck the sheep and fuck those leading them to the slaughterhouse.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 10:12:27 AM »
Safe to say that Konami is indeed in the process of leaving console video games at this point.

Tags:

anything