Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: News: Dave Cox about continuing LoS after 2: My head says no, my heart yes  (Read 56777 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Just edited my previous post, forgot to answer this:

Castlevania: The Adventure is not an atrocious game, it's a wonderful game that is very hard to beat, the controls are not good, but it's still a very good game, one of the best titles on the Game Boy, and the beggining of the beautiful GB trilogy. And who can forget the soundtrack from that 3 games?

I've been thinking about Cox's statement regarding his involvement with Castlevania ending after LOS2.
What if it is a lie?
Then may God protect us all...
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
It's not invalid.
Except it is. The LoS series has thus far been the ONLY Western Castlevania Konami has published. You can't possibly make that statement that the japanese make better castlevanias when they have had many different games made by different people, and the west only has one game series made by one outside company's dev teams, and the same director.

Once the West has made a few more CV games, by different developers, THEN we can talk about west vs JP CV.

It's like saying Johnny is better at drawing than James, when he is an established artist with tons of works under his belt, and James has only made one set of works so far.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:10:06 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Well I didn't want to create a new thread for this but Cox confirmed that LoS won't be "the 1999 game" because "it's mr igarashi story and only he has the right to tell it"

Everything comes full circle

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Well I didn't want to create a new thread for this but Cox confirmed that LoS won't be "the 1999 game" because "it's mr igarashi story and only he has the right to tell it"

Are we 100% sure he isn't lying? LOL.
Well, if we are dealing with scenario writers' respect, then he shouldn't really touch IGA's 1999 story.
I am wondering when will we ever gonna play that 1999 game?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
That would be a BIG and SERIOUS lie, he should stop doing CV after LoS2 if thats true as a punishment! (With will turn his lie in a truth in the end, making everybody happy) ;D
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Well he's not touching the original timeline, he's making his own version of the "final battle"
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Except it is. The LoS series has thus far been the ONLY Western Castlevania Konami has published. You can't possibly make that statement that the japanese make better castlevanias when they have had many different games made by different people, and the west only has one game series made by one outside company's dev teams, and the same director.

Once the West has made a few more CV games, by different developers, THEN we can talk about west vs JP CV.

It's like saying Johnny is better at drawing than James, when he is an established artist with tons of works under his belt, and James has only made one set of works so far.
OK, when the west make more CV games we'll see. I personally expect they return to Japan for good.
But the point that only japanese get it right, if only japanese and MS did CV games so far, remains true.
Japanese get what a CV game needs, MS (in my opinion) don't.

Perhaps, if in a near future WayForward give us our so desired CV with CV signature music, the west will have a few more points and many of us will have more faith on future western projects.

But I still prefer that they return to Japan, even if IGA, Michiru Yamane and Ayami Kojima are not involved anymore.
Give me another game like The Adventure: Rebirth and I'm happy :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
I have the feeling my words were misunderstood.

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
Full Article
http://www.relyonhorror.com/in-depth/interview-dave-cox-on-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-mirror-of-fate/
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards

Except when James had a wealth of material to go on, good and bad, from the people that invented the art through their own trial & error, yet he still managed to deliver a nice, but generic 3D platformer that was pretty & gave you scary feelings like it intended to while bearing no resemblance to what it actually should have other than name-Castlevania.

Like Nagumo said, they just didn't get it. Castlevania has a certain cool factor to it, a 'je ne sais quoi'-it's art. James didn't do a bad piece of art, but when the art he was commissioned to do didn't have that or even remind us of what we came for, we think "he just doesn't get it." When his finished work is a style that's commonplace among western developers we're not exactly beaming with good faith & high hopes for his or his countrymen's future works regarding this particular piece.

It is a bit early to make a definite call on Japanese CV devs. VS. Western devs.; I'm not saying some other western devs. couldn't do it right, I hope someone does. But if we're left with nothing to go on for now other than LoS, then I can see how one would be leaning toward Johnny's continued reign where CV is concerned.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:54:17 AM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Cox says returning to the old timeline is possible. Good to hear that.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Cox says returning to the old timeline is possible. Good to hear that.

Agreed-it is nice to hear. Nagumo, you certainly deserve your Town Crier award.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Except some people on this forum are convinced it's unlikely they'll make another game in the classic timeline. So cox is WRONG  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Cox should make a game for the old timeline.  Just so I can watch fan outrage everywhere.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
"Konami should make a LoS timeline game, Just so I can watch Cox outrage everywhere."
                                                                            -Russian Reversal about this.

Cox doesnt even needs to say that its possible, I know that it will happen.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: