Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: If SoTN were to be Enhanced Ported, what could they do to improve it?  (Read 7447 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: If SoTN were to be Enhanced Ported, what could they do to improve it?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 02:00:44 AM »
I love that you responded to the least important/relevant part of my post there.
I agree with the other stuff, with some re-tuning the Saturn content would be great, I would personally utilize the new areas as more linking throughout the castle so routing can be more emphasized rather than backtracking.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 05:11:45 PM »
Mostly merging and refining the DXC and Saturn versions. I'd want Richter in his goddamn SOTN outfit, a story for Richter (make it a prequel that explains how Shaft got the jump on him) and another for Maria (probably one concurrent with Alucard's take on events), and the additional areas, items, and enemies from the Saturn port (just not sucky this time, and much more sprawling in the case of the new areas). Also standard stuff like a resolution bump, dynamic lighting, and a remastered soundtrack would all work.

Of these, the only thing I'd demand is an SotN outfit for Richter. A proper one, not the shoddy one from the Saturn version. A Richter story would be really cool, and hell, they could even make his story just a retelling of Rondo in SotN's format (though everything from Stage 1 would have to be retold in the opening text crawl due to the lack of a town).

Actually, I'd like that. Richter's story could be a retelling of Rondo of Blood, ending with his "Die Monster!" fight from the beginning of SotN (though no cheap ass "RECKON YOUR STRENGTH" Maria saving you, and obviously a restructured final boss to make him actually difficult), and Maria's could be a story taking place between Rondo and Symphony that details Richter's disappearance, detailing what she did during Alucard's story, and her and Richter escaping the castle after Alucard ascends to the Inverted Castle.

Thus, you'd have a version of SotN that tells the entire Dracula X storyline in one game.

As for the new areas, yeah, I'd love if they were expanded and actually served a purpose. As far as I remember of the Saturn version, you don't really get anything for going into them, and they don't even add toward map completion. In particular, a revisit to our good friend The Forgotten One could be added to the Cursed Prison.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 01:35:39 AM »
Actually, I'd like that. Richter's story could be a retelling of Rondo of Blood, ending with his "Die Monster!" fight from the beginning of SotN...

Thus, you'd have a version of SotN that tells the entire Dracula X storyline in one game.

I like this idea very much.

As for the new areas, yeah, I'd love if they were expanded and actually served a purpose. As far as I remember of the Saturn version, you don't really get anything for going into them, and they don't even add toward map completion. In particular, a revisit to our good friend The Forgotten One could be added to the Cursed Prison.

The Cursed prison actually does serve a purpose, it's much quicker than having to track all the way around before you have superjump or bat. I always felt that part of the Castle was lacking a connection and was pleasantly surprised at this. Plus its tracks in both Castles were really nice from memory.

The underground garden doesn't really serve a purpose but at least there is a boss fight there.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:31:46 AM »
The Cursed prison actually does serve a purpose, it's much quicker than having to track all the way around before you have superjump or bat. I always felt that part of the Castle was lacking a connection and was pleasantly surprised at this. Plus its tracks in both Castles were really nice from memory.

The underground garden doesn't really serve a purpose but at least there is a boss fight there.

To be fair, Symphony's castle wasn't all that big to begin with, on top of the fact that there are teleport rooms littered everywhere in the castle. It does add a mild convenience having that extra track there, but it seems like a waste to add this whole new area of the castle and only use it as a shortcut. That could've been done simply by just extending the two connecting areas.

The Cursed Prison can serve as a connected area and have something worthwhile about it otherwise. A cool boss fight that leads to a nice item or something like that would be cool. Does the Underground Garden have anything like that after the boss fight or is the boss fight just there?

Y'KNOW BECAUSE I BROUGHT UP TELEPORT ROOMS, maybe giving us the ability to choose where to teleport to would be nice.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline MooMilk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure (GB)
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »
There should be 4 playable characters:

A whip-snapping vampire hunter who is a member of the Belmont clan. Another playable character would be Alucard. He
is Dracula's son who first made an appearence in the classic Nintendo Entertainment System game, Castlevania III. There should also be a sword-slinging bounty hunter and a peasent girl.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 02:44:14 AM »
There should be 4 playable characters:

The 4th one should play more like Grant. The other 3 are already basically covered.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD