Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Just another Castlevania fan-game...  (Read 66789 times)

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »
I am still breathing..!

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2015, 01:36:41 PM »
Cool Breathing! This Behemoth is a lot more "Alive" with this!!

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
The atmosphere in that video is real.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
It's time for some new screenshots!
The Caves location is complete. I think I won't make any videos with the boss battle or the level walkthrough, as I did before - just want to keep those things as a surprise for the next demo (which will be not so soon, sorry).
3 levels done, about 13 to go. The next location will be the Swamps...

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
It's looking, solid, man! Looks really old school, but the modern twists make it fresh! Everything looks like its coming together really nicely! Can't wait to try the demo ;)

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2015, 05:22:17 AM »
I want to ask everyone - how do you like the lighting system in my game?
In one Russian forum (not related to Castlevania games at all) too many people literally hate it. I just can't understand why. I know, my game looks different from original Castlevania games because of that. And very few retro games using lighting with pixel-art... But I thought that this feature is helping me to enhance atmosphere (that's a priority) and allows me to create new gameplay mechanics (as a bonus).
Does my game really looks like any modern indie game, which just trying to be "classic", and the lighting just clashes with the good old Castlevania Rondo of Blood graphics? If that so, then my game definitely should be redone ASAP.

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2015, 06:36:22 AM »
In one Russian forum (not related to Castlevania games at all) too many people literally hate it. I just can't understand why. I know, my game looks different from original Castlevania games because of that. And very few retro games using lighting with pixel-art... But I thought that this feature is helping me to enhance atmosphere (that's a priority) and allows me to create new gameplay mechanics (as a bonus).
Does my game really looks like any modern indie game, which just trying to be "classic", and the lighting just clashes with the good old Castlevania Rondo of Blood graphics? If that so, then my game definitely should be redone ASAP.

No. Make your game just like you Want. you will never Please everyone, and the atmosphere of your game is great.

But Hey, you was so Decided about the music of your game, Now you're thinking in revamp the whole thing just because some guys of another forums disliked something in it?  :-X

Dont mind about that.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2015, 07:29:24 AM »
No. Make your game just like you Want. you will never Please everyone
Goddamn, you're right. Sometimes I start to forget that simple things. Thanks man, your words makes me feels a lot easier.

My worries have an underlying reason, though. My last project died just because people lost interest in it. And the truth is, I can't keep my own interest, if no one else cares about it. I don't want to see this project dead too, that's why sometimes I'm trying to please as much people as I can...

But yes, that's my project. So it's time to stop being a wimp and start making my own best (still unnamed) Castlevania game!

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »

I did notice the lighting, forgot to mention it. I personally like it. I think it might be a bit overdone being in the village stagez but maybe have it for indoor areas. It's also fine in the caves stage. If you decide to keep it in the village stage, its not a huge issue, but being carried away with it can make it tedious for a lot of people. Having it in some stages, tho, can keep track game interesting.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2015, 11:12:05 AM »
eryson's correct. Make your game how you want to. It will be appreciated nonetheless by those of the community here  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2015, 11:20:56 AM »

I love the lighting system, and I have no idea why people would hate it.

I played your first demo, and those lights right at the beginning, in the middle of the darkness, sets the tone. I love atmosphere, and you're not straying far from what makes Castlevania great - just look at why Super Castlevania IV is so beloved. Atmosphere is everything.

So do what you want to do. The game looks awesome!
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »
It's easy to get caught up in people's feedback as well as criticism.  I've been guilty of this many times myself.  Make the game the way that you want to play it.  Atmosphere is so very important for games.  The atmosphere alone helps your game stand out above many others just because you are focusing on something that not many fan game creators ever do.

Don't let the haters bring you down.  This is easier said than done, I know.  This is why I've chosen to take Anathema behind the curtain again for a while as I develop it, because there's no sense in people critiquing an alpha and constantly having to explain myself and that it is in fact, in early stages and things are being polished.  My suggestion would be to do the same.  That way when you truly feel ready and have a polished demo on your hands, you can let the game speak for itself and people get a true sense of what you are shooting for.  It's hard for people to get an idea of what developers are thinking when games are in their infancy.

Make your game the way you want to play it.  Either people can get behind it or not.  But as long as you make a quality game, you will have people behind.  We can't make a perfect game that everyone everywhere loves, so make the game you love.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
I have been accused of bashing other people's works just to hype my buddies fan-game up (Like this makes any sense) so let me tell you something about critique,

I agree with what everyone is telling you.

Bottom line is that (I dunno if you are working alone), but either way you are putting in the work and making the game that YOU want to make.

Make no mistake, feedback is very important as well as play-testing but take all criticism good and bad and make informed decisions off those. Don't let people pressure you into making decisions you wouldn't normally make because their opinions may differ from yours.

YOU are the end all be all for the final say on what happens in your game. People can choose to play it or not to play it doesn't matter what they "like."

If you want to accommodate people (I have done it in the past) it will be your choice, but do it because you want to and feel good about it.

Not because you have to.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2015, 04:35:10 PM »
Feedback is always important, but you have to learn what feedback to take to heart and what not to.  Not everyone will like what you do, and some will not like it at first.  Just look at The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker.  Everyone HATED the art style at first, now look at what it has become.  Stay your course and focus on the fun game you want to play.

Offline Lanforse

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2015, 11:06:09 PM »
I... I don't even know, how to express my thanks to everyone. So many kind words here, that's maybe the nicest forum on the Internet, no jokes. I am really appreciate these advices.
Yes, I'm working alone on my project. That can make things harder I guess, but that's why I can put my soul into it. And that's why sometimes I can take others' opinions too close to my heart. I was thinking that I'm ready to some criticism... Well, looks like I am not :)
Once again, thanks! All of your words makes me really happy.

Tags:

anything